What have you done to your XS today?

Ugh...Finally Done lol. I'm doing my caliper next. I'm going to get the paint off and maybe polish it?

Attachments

• 20200201_204352.jpg
    20200201_204352.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 188
  • 20200201_204151.jpg
    20200201_204151.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 174
  • 20200201_204202.jpg
    20200201_204202.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 175
  • 20200201_204356.jpg
    20200201_204356.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 172
20200203_115458-1.jpg
Asking for a Friend:
If a power box is connected backwards to the battery, but the ignition is off, and the booster cable disconnected within a couple seconds, and the only smoke is from the negative battery cable, what is the likelihood of harness damage in a '78 Standard?

20200204_165800-1.jpg
Finally a Use - Maybe
Five years or so ago, I bought this tank and brought it home only to find that the tunnel was too narrow to fit over the stock coil placement.
The 79 Special frame came to me already modified. Today I stuck the matching number motor (fwiw) in and remembered the DT tank and pulled it off the shelf. I like it. A ways to go yet, though. Retirement therapy.

View attachment 159328
Finally a Use - Maybe
Five years or so ago, I bought this tank and brought it home only to find that the tunnel was too narrow to fit over the stock coil placement.
The 79 Special frame came to me already modified. Today I stuck the matching number motor (fwiw) in and remembered the DT tank and pulled it off the shelf. I like it. A ways to go yet, though. Retirement therapy.
I like it!

I drew for 3 minutes, then engraved for 3 hours, with a touch of relief for 3 minutes lol. Going to do more work to it though. Should I add a small pots leafs? :smoke:
you should send some photos to a couple magazines like the horse backstreet choppers,, or cycle source, maybe get a back bage expo, that work is unique for sure

Tonight, I have been cutting, bending, drilling, pop riveting, hole sawing a piece of 2 mm alloy sheet, making a new battery box/ electrics tray.
I am going to rewire the bike, using an Mo unit, a much smaller lighter battery, and a Powerdynamo 180 W PMA. So the only stock electrical equipment besides ignition, switches and starter will be the starter solenoid. The new tray weighs only 180 g in its current state, when I have added some brackets for the rubber mounts, it may end up around 250 g altogether. The stock battery box weighs 2644 g, including reg, rect, solenoid and safety relay. So I am dropping more than 2 kilos just on the battery box. I am pretty confident my new box is strong enough, as my battery weighs only 900g/ 2 lbs.

Just got my tax returns, first year in over ten that I’m not claiming dependents, so a little sad. Anyway, finally ordered tapered neck bearings and wheel bearings from all balls, and just bought a set of IRC -GS-11’s since my Shinko classic is square as a car tire and I realized my front Avon has around 7-8 grand on it. I also bought counter act tire balancing beads, which I am really
Excited about because I won’t have to worry about static balancing or buying ugly looking wheel weights. From reviews I’ve read it sounds like they’ll make the ride much smoother. This summer I’ll be rocking New spokes, tires, bearings, sprockets, chain, and shocks. Should be the tightest smoothest ride I’ve experienced yet. Summer can’t come soon enough. I’ll post pics when she’s all buttoned up. Sorry I haven't been around the forum a lot lately; I’ve been busy with homeownership projects like painting, learning to install deadbolts, storm doors, and blinds. Also been working on my music. I’m a singer/songwriter and I’m working on gigging this summer. The years get busier and busier as they go it seems. The girlfriend keeps encouraging me to sell the bike. Not going to happen.

I'm just not so sure it's ready for a magazine? It wasn't ready for the calendar lol. I need to either redo the leather some how on the seat, get a sissy bar, and make the proper nice looking mounts. Or just go back to a simple seat. ….not to mention man other than the filters and raked front end, headlight, handlebars, and brake light, plus all basic engraving, fabricating, and pinstriping I did...it's still a stock engine lol

I guess I'm just critiquing myself too hard..I've just seen some AMAZING SHIT on motorcycles that I do and I can't compare my work yet because I lack years of skill. like check out tonytheengraver https://customknuckle.com/tony-the-engraver/ or misfitskinnycustoms ( he does the design on leather) http://www.misfitskinnykustoms.com/ I want to do what tony does, but I need the money for the tools lol I'm literally using a 90$ Dremel and 8$ bits from the hardware store :laughing:

Last edited:
Back