What have you done to your XS today?

So I tried again holding the rubber cone instead of the screwing on the fitting and I got a better reading. Tried again with the fitting and got the same inaccurate reading. Guess harbor freight is not good for diagnostic tools

Attachments

• 93B2D01C-6967-41C0-964A-73F11B6D56A7.jpeg
    93B2D01C-6967-41C0-964A-73F11B6D56A7.jpeg
    284.2 KB · Views: 143
How'd I miss this thread ? Very cool XS happenings here lately !
MaxPete I can't wait to see your Green 78E :D
and Norton , that 76 is rolling now? Dang !! :cool:

Hey, tekk! Is that ~ 145 lbs.? That's really good! Some people think the rubber tip gives the most accurate reading of the whole setup. How many miles are on your motorcycle? I'm thinking low miles, and it's never been "monkeyed". If so, then there's other things, besides an overhaul, for you to be spending your money on. :twocents:

Hey, tekk! Is that ~ 145 lbs.? That's really good! Some people think the rubber tip gives the most accurate reading of the whole setup. How many miles are on your motorcycle? I'm thinking low miles, and it's never been "monkeyed". If so, then there's other things, besides an overhaul, for you to be spending your money on. :twocents:

it was pretty close to 149-150.

Attachments

• 4640DCB9-8FDF-49BF-857E-5B4075407C4E.jpeg
    4640DCB9-8FDF-49BF-857E-5B4075407C4E.jpeg
    123.5 KB · Views: 134
Moved the '73 DT3 250 out to the shed after completing a top end rebuild; more resto planned for the spring.
Anxious to get working on the '82 Heritage Special with 6,000 miles I purchased a couple months ago, so I pulled it into the winter workshop a couple weeks ago.
Here is the bike the day I haggled the owner down from $1250 to $700.
It has sat in a garage for about 10 years or more.

XS82.5.jpg

Under scrutiny, I see that the paint and chrome are in pretty good shape:

XS.82.4.jpg

Traded the pullbacks for a new set of Euro bars:

XS.82.5.jpg

The caliper was frozen, but upon disassembly I recognized that it only needed a cleanup; no new parts required.:D

XS.82.8.jpg

Purchased a SS braided brake line on Ebay for about $7 free shipping.
You might recognize a new workbench surface; my riding buddy Gary brought over his Bro-in-law's XS1100 carb cluster for help with a rebuild, but he failed to mention that he hadnt drained them , yet. Out came the most horrid stinking fluid on earth! :eek: I had to put a new 3/4" ply top to the workbench immediately.
XS.82.1.jpg

The master cylinder was functional, but intensely crudded up with crud.
Rather than rebuild, I purchased a complete MC with switch and lever on Ebay for $19 free shipping.
12.7 mm bore for a nice "feel".

XS.82.2.jpg

XS.82.3.jpg

The bleeding went quite smoothly; after about 20 minutes of very slow pumping, I got a firm lever.

XS.82.6.jpg

I'm thinking about some pinstriping in the center of the black painted fenders, maybe gold and red ?
You got any ideas as to a striping scheme/design?

XS.82.7.jpg

I should mention that, like most of these aftermarket MC units, the lever is unique to the assembly, so you can't replace it with an OEM lever.

Also, the mirror threads are RH (like most of these units), so you'll need to get an adaptor to use your Yamaha mirror, which is LH. Mikes XS is the only place to get one. About $3.50

Last edited:
Nice work ! Those bars change the whole appearance. You asked about pinstriping ? I'll chime in that the one bike I owned with a hand painted "solo" one stripe on both the tank and side covers did have a look I may try to duplicate someday ..
Nice Bike Dude :cool:

Attachments

• 20190524_184811_IMG_0176.JPG
    20190524_184811_IMG_0176.JPG
    340 KB · Views: 150
Back