1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

What have you done to your XS today?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by I am Carbon, Nov 24, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

They are pretty, Gary had a beautiful one. My ‘77 was originally Maxi Maroon, but was painted white before I got it.
    59291227-6029-4C92-B06E-C1D35B112D35.jpeg
    Then some dingus knocked it over in the garage, so I found a black replacement tank and had Jim paint the sidecovers to match.
    44FC8CA7-BA13-415E-B464-C3BD212D7B1C.jpeg

2. Tiesco

Tiesco XS650 Addict

I like those highway pegs. I might have to try to make some mounts similar to yours Mailman

Jim and Mailman like this.
  3. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Jim, Greyandridin and GLJ like this.
  4. thuban

thuban Horse Scratcher XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Tank in good shape?

Jim likes this.
  5. thuban

Dingus? Same one that dropped mine in the trailer, I'll wager! ;) Cost me a tank.:banghead:

Raymondo, Jim, Mailman and 2 others like this.
  6. Tiesco

Tiesco XS650 Addict

The inside is extremely clean. The outside could use a polish and it has about 2 dinks that you can see in the right light. My bike was originally Blue but it was extremely rusty. A funny trait about that old tank is that whoever owned this before me crashed the bike so hard that it broke the tab that stops you from steering too far and it left a huge dent in the shape of the left fork and triple tree.

7. Tiesco

Tiesco XS650 Addict

Mailman likes this.
  8. tzimmerm

tzimmerm XS650 Junkie XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Iowa City
    I’m going stir crazy being stuck indoors. God help me. It’s only been one day. I started on painting the bar clamps. I had a complete early style tree that I ordered when I still had my chopper when I was trying to piece together a proper front end, so I got the clamps off and they’ve been soaking in evaporust all day. The rubber isolators are in really good shape; I might use them when I go to swap these out. They look the same size; anyone know for sure? Tomorrow I’ll sand and paint the clamps in the attic. Hopefully I’ll have them on the bike by Friday, but we’re supposed to have thunderstorms here for the next four days, so I’m not sure when I can get the bike out in the driveway for a proper photoshoot for you all. I really like the new look with the black bars, black buckets, and the new tool bag, but I already miss the look of the buckhorns. Oh well; it’s not too hard of a swap.

9. Raymondo

Raymondo XS650 rider, fettler, setting out on a journey XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I think the term is social isolators now.

Mailman, tzimmerm, GLJ and 1 other person like this.
  10. tzimmerm

Iowa City
    Okay, lots of good news today- had a follow up call with the nurse and now she doesn't think I have the coronavirus due to my symptoms not getting worse. So I’m cleared to go back to work next Tuesday. Did my painting this morning in the attic. Weather cleared up and its sunny and 55 so I got to take the bike around the local park. I went around the “Road closed” signs and some lame-o made a point to remind me the road was closed. I put the rubber isolators from the early style trees in; they are a little different design and the rubber was much harder. The hole on the ones that were there was beveled at the outer edges, whereas the ones from the older style
    Trees were straight all the way through. I called my girlfriend over to look at the gold clamps, and she hadn’t seen the fork bag yet, and she says- “Oh, your little lunchpail looks cute!” :laugh::shrug:
    Let me know what you think of the gold clamps.
    5EBF7170-51BD-426E-B836-C457EEB79A9C.jpeg
    B3469EDB-5DC5-4E77-A463-8E8FE7EEFCF3.jpeg
    1358B7F9-AEA0-49CD-94F5-EE82A56E40A3.jpeg
    96CD77C6-6B91-452F-8D52-515305F18C47.jpeg
    88B13363-9BA3-463F-A63B-693E41461E21.jpeg
    BC61198E-15BD-438E-B916-E32F68FD91EB.jpeg
    4AEA4EDD-E553-46C2-8E36-F4183CFB7EAD.jpeg

Attached Files:

MaxPete, Team Junk, resto and 9 others like this.
  11. GLJ

GLJ Never go faster than your guardian angle can fly. Top Contributor

:laughing:

MaxPete, thuban, lakeview and 4 others like this.
  12. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge, is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Looks good!!

MaxPete, Raymondo and gggGary like this.
  13. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Like the gold clamps, doing a nice job of using it as an accent color 'specially with the 77 tank stripes! Now need a touch of it by the front wheel? :bike:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    MaxPete, Team Junk, Superjet and 3 others like this.
  14. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge, is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Gold on the front brake rotor would accent nicely.

MaxPete, Mailman and gggGary like this.
  15. tzimmerm

Iowa City
    Yeah, you know I was already eyeballing that fancy rotor on Mikes like a month ago, but that kinda coin for a part that I already have seems pretty excessive right now. I’ve really got my sights set on a schott perfecto, and I’m hoping to make it happen this summer. I’ve outgrown my other leather jacket, and I really need a real jacket. After the wheel bearings and everything else, I’m already behind on my one star fund.

16. Beags64

Beags64 XS650 Junkie Top Contributor

Michigan
    Didn't use that whole rattle can on the clamps did ya? Little prep and a spritz of that wheel paint and your rotor is "golden".

MaxPete, Raymondo, tzimmerm and 4 others like this.
  17. tzimmerm

Iowa City
    Oh I didn't even think of that. Yeah, I guess I could go that route.

MaxPete, gggGary and Jim like this.
  18. thuban

I like it! I like it a lot. I ordered me a headlight visor like yours to match my blue dot tail light! :cheers: Gimmi some info on the front bag. Does it come in black? It's spiffy!

19. Jim

Yeah, what Beags said. Did mine in silver... but you get the idea.

paint.jpg

101.jpg

MaxPete, Rasputin, thuban and 7 others like this.
  20. thuban

Damn Jim! Looks good! My question would be...the VHT Flame Proof 1300-2000 degree flat silver baked as directions would never come off. (I used a bit of this and a small artist brush to apply just inside my EX pipe headers on the pipe. It was rusting! Fixed that right up. I can't for the life of me get my head around header tape. Don't it rust under that stuff?
    Gona have to edit this... (Radial drilled, dual disk brakes is just showing off, and well too!)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020