What have you done to your XS today?

So I need some help on this guys. I changed out my clutch friction plates and springs. Everything was great and it was shifting great. But I notice that after the engine eats up that it's very hard to put into neutral. I follow correct procedure for adjusting the clutch, but it seems like when I give the clutch some slack, you can hear the clutch trying to drive, as it makes a whining sound even while holding in the clutch lever. If i make the clutch cable tight, it works a bit better, but over time still has a hard time going into neutral. Any ideas?

So I need some help on this guys. I changed out my clutch friction plates and springs. Everything was great and it was shifting great. But I notice that after the engine eats up that it's very hard to put into neutral. I follow correct procedure for adjusting the clutch, but it seems like when I give the clutch some slack, you can hear the clutch trying to drive, as it makes a whining sound even while holding in the clutch lever. If i make the clutch cable tight, it works a bit better, but over time still has a hard time going into neutral. Any ideas?

Well, these have a tough time going into neutral when they get hot. But there is no whine associated with these clutches. Is the clutch stock?

If Grimmith's clutch was not causing any problems before he worked on it, we've all been there. However, if he has replaced stock parts with performance parts
( like the one piece rod, that's really just to save and prolong the rod seal) then it's gona take someone with more info stored in their grey matter than me.

Worked on a few details today; after my bar swap last weekend the throttle wasn't snapping back, and since they are black painted bars the starter and horn weren't properly grounded, so today I re routed the throttle cable, took up the slack In the wires going into the headlight bucket, and sanded the paint off the bars so I can use my horn and starter. Also spent some time using styrene plastic to make bulb braces for the inside of my cheapo chinese turn signals. Then I went for a really short ride with my daughter, but it was so cold out it wasn't even 10 minutes. @Ccconrod, take a look at my new bars, and heres some pics of my bike with my older setup-TC bros Lanesplitters, pretty much mini apes. View attachment 161998View attachment 161999
Is that a Triumph seat on your XS? I surely like it, always thought crosswise seams is the best look!

20C7C7BE-1597-4DB7-928A-5C9D7EE9B5BE.jpeg
70478671-CC11-44A9-BB1A-BE14B27DD502.jpeg
Sorry for the delayed response- I’ve had a busy but perfect day! Left work early because I realized with the holiday weekend we would have Friday off, meaning I couldn’t work any OT this week. That meant no qualms with leaving work at 12:30 since the forecast called for a high of 74. Got my daughter, went home, everyone agrees to go on a hike. I take the bike and the girlfriend daughter and pooch take her car. They tail me on one of my favorite rides to a really cool hiking spot set in a stand of very tall pine trees out by the reservoir. Turns out the forecast was undershot; when I check my phone in the parking lot, it’s 80 degrees!!! The bike really looks great after that wash and wax, and the hike was perfect. Listened to the wind in the pines, reminded me of the rockies. We ordered Mexican from grub hub in the parking lot at the trail head. It’s a 30 or so minute drive back. Halfway I notice huge rolling rainclouds coming in from the north. I pull in the driveway literally as the grub hub delivery guy is walking up to our house. As we sat and ate in the dining room we opened the windows to breathe the fresh air. Not five minutes later it is pouring and hailing small hail chips. “Dodged a bullet”, or a few, as it were. Now I’m working on my Tiger King song. To respond to everyones carb questions, i had them rebuilt by Rick at oldskool carbs in June of 18. He did a fantastic job, but simply put, I have not been in them and don’t know anything about the condition of Them or the internal components. Hence why I have been hesitating to get into them. Now off to DQ for a cotton candy blizzard. The only thing missing from a 100% perfect day is a little :bed:
Will report back later :thumbsup:
P.S. - Yes, that is a tree the dog was dragging along on the hike. She actually jumped in the air to grab it on command.
EDIT- Also, I forgot to mention my new motion pro tach cable arrived yesterday and I installed that before the ride. Tach works amazingly now. Still waiting on the mirrors from amazon. Shipping is delayed

Last edited:
:laugh: Well, ain't that the shits! I wasn't done reading but TZ ran out of words! :shrug:

Now what could be causing the rockers to become so loose so quickly? The RH exhaust side likes to get real loose for some reason. I set the exhaust to .006 snd it opened up a few weeks ago to .012 and now to .014. They all have gotten a bit loose in fact. All the rest are about .003 out of spec.

Static timing take two ! 79 engine. Using the 12V bulb tool was fun, I really enjoyed that.
Evening update.
20200406_193919.jpg

That static timing setting shown earlier turned out to be almost exactly what the timing light just proved on my 2nd engine test run. I'll tell ya, what a smoooth low rpm idle!
And since my mechanical advance was all properly serviced / lubed, the timing immediately advances up the scale with a blip of throttle. I'm sold on a slight retard setting so far.
;)-R

If not the head itself, camshaft suspect?
The cam is a possibility. I replaced the rockers when I rebuilt the bike and both of the exhaust rockers we worn pretty bad. Especially the RH one. But the cam itself appears ok upon visual inspection. I never measured it. Best I did was get a second opinion from the man who bored the cylinders.

I adjust everything once again and the RH side still kinda sounds like a fire alarms in the distance. Not nearly as audible as before tho

Well, these have a tough time going into neutral when they get hot. But there is no whine associated with these clutches. Is the clutch stock?

I have "high performance" springs and friction plates, but the clutch, cable, and lever is stock. I didn't really see much difference between the stock and high performance friction plates. This was happening before I worked on it.

If Grimmith's clutch was not causing any problems before he worked on it, we've all been there. However, if he has replaced stock parts with performance parts
( like the one piece rod, that's really just to save and prolong the rod seal) then it's gona take someone with more info stored in their grey matter than me.

Sadly it was doing this before I worked on it. I did replace the friction plates and springs with high performance ones and worked great after I start it up cold and run it. I have a bike guru here and he says I should have at least 1/8" of play in the clutch. But, when I do that, it makes the whining noise as I engage it. But only happens when it's hot after running for about 30 min or so. Even having it on a center stand I have, the rear wheel spins when I continually hold the clutch in and put it in first or second gear.

Back