What have you done to your XS today?

Take the adjuster out and run a file across it. If it's lost the hardened layer at the tip, the file will bite into it. If it's still hard, the file will skate across it without leaving a mark. Then do the same to the tips of the valves. If it's your lucky day, the adjusters lost their hardness.

The adjusters are shot. I guess thats what I get from buying from Mikesxs. The shitty part is that the stock adjusters won't work with Mikes rockers because the adjusters are too short. So it looks like I'll have to pull the motor anyway and find some OEM rockers. I wonder if the rockers themselves are of the same quality as the adjusters.

Makes me wonder about how the transmission bearings I bought from mikes will hold up.....

Last edited:
Did you just put it together with a new gasket?

I was waiting on the 1 5/8 PeaShooter clamps. I figured I better get busy on the mounting brackets. First I stuck a PS on the pipes and took some measurements . Then I welded up some 3/16 flat stock.
Image 1 welding.jpg

Then I bent, drilled, ground and did a mock up with Hex head bolts I had laying around.
lft side mock up.jpg

and...
off set bend mock up.jpg

Did the same for the right side and waiting on the clamps. Stainless bolts.
waiting on clamps.jpg

The clamps came in ! Oh baby! I mounted the Pea Shooters and didn't take pix cause I just had to try it! But this is the mock up.
peashooters.jpg

Up Date: Pix of right mount.
RT Mnt.jpg

Pea shooters look ok. Little louder than I thought ( I got a BD meter around here some place) Might be interesting?
So, I went for a 25 mile round robin to check electrical problem and pulled the plugs to check the burn/mix with the Pea Shooters! Looks good to me. I like it when I don't have to mess with something I have set right.
spark plug burn.jpg

I was expecting I would have to richen my mix a bit due to the open Pea Shooters. But I think length of the mufflers and pipes was enough to off set any changes I would have had to make if the mufflers were say, shorty's but I don't know.

Last edited:
Despite my current predicament, I have gotten some things done. I welded this tab on the adjusting nut(instead of buying a $3 wing nut). Pretty satisfying. It makes adjusting the rear brake a lot easier/faster and you can do it where ever you are. I definitely recommend doing this or simply buying the wing nut.

Attachments

• 20200408_222109.jpg
    20200408_222109.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Despite my current predicament, I have gotten some things done. I welded this tab on the adjusting nut(instead of buying a $3 wing nut). Pretty satisfying. It makes adjusting the rear brake a lot easier/faster and you can do it where ever you are I definitely recommend doing this or simply buying the wing nut.
hummmmm. Should be able to turn that pretty easily. Not very aero-dynamic. :wink2:

Thats! A really nice companion to your XS2!
So I managed to repair my TCI module last week. I built a test jig over the winter to run the module on the bench. Originally I thought the IC was kaput, but turns out it was another component,... that and replacing all of the electrolytic capacitors seems to have fixed it. Fault was D5 (12-03 module). Initially, the diode checked OK with the meter but that was only a cursory check since it is parallel with a cap. Could not get the test jig working quite right to simulate an operating module but the jig worked well enough isolate the fault(s).
Something about the timing of the pickup pulses in relation to the spark pulse... haven't quite figured out yet. However my basic understanding of how these modules work is correct. Just finished removing the pamco junk off the bike this morning, reattached the TCI and fired it up. Anyone need a pamco setup? Anyone need a TCI module repaired?
Have to sit down and order in a few other parts for the bike now. Looks like one of the camshaft seals is weeping. Hoping to be riding soon.

So I managed to repair my TCI module last week. I built a test jig over the winter to run the module on the bench. Originally I thought the IC was kaput, but turns out it was another component,... that and replacing all of the electrolytic capacitors seems to have fixed it. Fault was D5 (12-03 module). Initially, the diode checked OK with the meter but that was only a cursory check since it is parallel with a cap. Could not get the test jig working quite right to simulate an operating module but the jig worked well enough isolate the fault(s).
Something about the timing of the pickup pulses in relation to the spark pulse... haven't quite figured out yet. However my basic understanding of how these modules work is correct. Just finished removing the pamco junk off the bike this morning, reattached the TCI and fired it up. Anyone need a pamco setup? Anyone need a TCI module repaired?
Have to sit down and order in a few other parts for the bike now. Looks like one of the camshaft seals is weeping. Hoping to be riding soon.
I went back to the original points system My Pamco took out a coil and itself

I went back to the original points system My Pamco took out a coil and itself
Yep but on the bright side it's never run this good (new points who would have thought what a difference it makes LOL) I was just trying to buy my way out of future trouble but its an old bike and there's always something
:shrug:

Back