What have you done to your XS today?

They fit nice, don't they? Almost like they were meant for this.

I have a pair of gaiters from Mike's and a pair of these. These are course with big ribs where as Mike's are finer ribbed. Feel like the same material but I've not had time to remove them from the packages.

Yeah, someone mentioned in the amazon reviews for them that they work well for gaiters On their XS650. ‘82 I think it was

Last edited:
I have a pair of gaiters from Mike's and a pair of these. These are course with big ribs where as Mike's are finer ribbed. Feel like the same material but I've not had time to remove them from the packages.
With all I’ve heard about mikes rubber; I wouldn't trust them to hold up. Not that it’s hard to swap them out, but I’m a pragmatic kind of guy. If these hold up For me like they have for 5Twins, I’ll consider it a 15.00 well spent

20200514_160005-1.jpg
BS38 Stripped Choke Screw Fix.
The first 4 threads of the mount for the choke lever were stripped - not an uncommon problem. Not wanting to include a magnifying glass and a M4 helicoil kit on the bench, I went with a longer machine screw- M4 x 16 (.7 thread).
20200514_154622-1.jpg
The little extra length gets past the stripped area and the lever works as good as new.

So dear colleagues, I am pretty sure that I am the first one here in the forum to post such pictures, (ok, probably hundreds before me, LOL) just wanted to show that I did something today to my XS, not perfect- but I like it for the first time

Attachments

• bevore.jpg
    bevore.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 154
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 168
View attachment 167022
BS38 Stripped Choke Screw Fix.
The first 4 threads of the mount for the choke lever were stripped - not an uncommon problem. Not wanting to include a magnifying glass and a M4 helicoil kit on the bench, I went with a longer machine screw- M4 x 16 (.7 thread).
View attachment 167023
The little extra length gets past the stripped area and the lever works as good as new.
After I moved from Germany to Canada in 2008, that was the first adventure for me, where to buy the metric screws and bolts, and conveniently you should have both the metric and the non-metric wrenches for it when you do the builds and repairs on your own.

My seat finally came. It looks great. A bit too clean for my bike lol. Its also pretty stiff. A bit too stuff. I'll have to make another hinge or modify the stock one because it doesn't fit onto the seat pan.

Overall I'm very pleased but for some reason, I almost don't like it and I'm not sure why. Maybe I was beginning to like the dirty, worn, mustard yellow seat?
20200514_181515.jpg

20200514_181459.jpg

Attachments

• 20200514_181438.jpg
    20200514_181438.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
SEAT! we have seat! Yeahawwww! I like it. It's falling together! ( I was afraid his butt would get used to the foam! :laugh:) You da man!

This new seat is so uncomfortable but I'm tired of having the bike look like trash. I'll get used to the seat I'm sure. Now it looks so good and I can't stop looking at it. I've got a real specimen here.

Last edited:
Why is it uncomfortable? What does it feel like? My seat does slope down toward the tank. I'm sure you've seen the post about adding foam to level the seat ,to keep from feeling like your sliding toward the tank. Then there is the cross strap ( hand hold?) that is right where your butt wants to be. But all in all, I can move all over my seat changing position on long rides. Not so on the Honda's molded seat. Not so on the son-in-laws Shadow. You sit in one spot. And sit, and sit...
I'll take my seat, down slope and all. If I want real comfort, I'll get in my lazyboy, after I get done with my 650 rush! :bike: Your looking good!

Why is it uncomfortable? What does it feel like? My seat does slope down toward the tank. I'm sure you've seen the post about adding foam to level the seat ,to keep from feeling like your sliding toward the tank. Then there is the cross strap ( hand hold?) that is right where your butt wants to be. But all in all, I can move all over my seat changing position on long rides. Not so on the Honda's molded seat. Not so on the son-in-laws Shadow. You sit in one spot. And sit, and sit...
I'll take my seat, down slope and all. If I want real comfort, I'll get in my lazyboy, after I get done with my 650 rush! :bike: Your looking good!

The only thing I can compare it to is like sitting on a horse saddle. That stiff, hard leather.

It can't be that hard? However, I have an Aussie stock saddle with poleys and a suspended seat. like sitting in a rocking chair and no way your going over the handlebars! :thumbsup:

Back