What have you done to your XS today?

I mean its pretty stiff. I've only ever ridden a horse once as a child and he was crazy.
In my experience, seat shape is more important than soft foam. I had a Corbin seat on my Ducati Monster. Much harder than stock, but way more comfy after a few 100 km in one day. You may be surprised after a long ride.

1. Bike looks great
2. Seat looks great
3. Mine’s a bit stiff as well; not too uncomfortable though. I concur with arctic; being able to reposition is essential for hours long rides. Get a highway bar and some pegs. You’ll appreciate it if your bike ever finds itself sideways.

When I put my café seat on the first thing I thought was, "I've made a terrible mistake". But you know what? It's not bad at all as long as I can get off of it every hour or so. Something about that twin thumpty-thump makes any minor seat discomfort trivial.

I think that on a long road trip I'll be glad the CB750 luggage rack has that back rest as well. That was my main reason for using it. Being able to sit back like that is a real luxury. If I really can't stand it, I can always put a fat slab of gell underneath my butt. Once I get some highway pegs I'll be good to go in area of long term comfort.

I haven't gotten to ride it yet because the carbs are still completely apart. I'll get used to it im sure.

Masked and ready for paint.:thumbsup:
wheels 001.JPG

So this morning on the way to work and now this afternoon after work the bike is definitely feeling more squirrely than I’ve ever noticed before. If I wiggle the bars at all, the whole bike wants to compensate and almost start death wobbling. It kicks in around 80 mph, but I didn't experience this several weeks ago when doing 100. I have changed the bars to buckhorns, and I removed/reinstalled the forks to install the gaiters the other day. All I can think is that the bars are putting my weight in a different spot, or something to do with the forks. I stopped and checked my Tire pressure and it’s spot on. Any ideas?

I thought about Pewter or a light metallic aluminium but not enough contrast so I went with my old stand by Gray Hammered Finish. disc brake rotors are the same so they will match. I might consider a Black Hammered Finish on the frame this time. If I go that route I`ll do the seat cover in a medium Gray instead of black. We`ll see?:shrug:
wheels 002.JPG

wheels 004.JPG

Last edited:
TZ. Check your spokes. Makes sure you don’t have any broken ones. Also, how’s your swing arm bushings? Have they ever been replaced?

Just rebuilt and trued the wheels over the fall/winter. Swing arm bushings are a negatory. Should have done them too.

I’m not sure to be honest. It’s the first time it ever happened. It topped out at 90-95 all last summer. I replaced the sprockets and I’m running a 17-32 setup I think. One less tooth out back than stock. I have a pamco with e-advance, running an andrews dual output coil. Other than that all stock engine. Valves set at 3/6. Probably had a good tail wind.

I thought about Pewter or a light metallic aluminium but not enough contrast so I went with my old stand by Gray Hammered Finish. disc brake rotors are the same so they will match. I might consider a Black Hammered Finish on the frame this time. If I go that route I`ll do the seat cover in a medium Gray instead of black. We`ll see?:shrug:
View attachment 167114
View attachment 167115

Those mags came out great! I’ve been looking forward to this build ever since you bought those wheels! :thumbsup:

Just rebuilt and trued the wheels over the fall/winter. Swing arm bushings are a negatory. Should have done them too.

I would check both asap. Get that back wheel in the air and check your spokes to make sure they are all tight. The check that swingarm for any play too.

So this morning on the way to work and now this afternoon after work the bike is definitely feeling more squirrely than I’ve ever noticed before. If I wiggle the bars at all, the whole bike wants to compensate and almost start death wobbling. It kicks in around 80 mph, but I didn't experience this several weeks ago when doing 100. I have changed the bars to buckhorns, and I removed/reinstalled the forks to install the gaiters the other day. All I can think is that the bars are putting my weight in a different spot, or something to do with the forks. I stopped and checked my Tire pressure and it’s spot on. Any ideas?

The buckhorn bars? I've read of bikes that were unstable because the upright & further back riding position with high bars let the rider act like a sail and catch the wind more.

Started the bike today for the first time since the top end rebuild! Original '74 carbs rebuilt (thanks to all who helped with the correct crossover tubes etc) original airboxes cleaned up and painted and new air filters installed and it started up pretty quick! Weather permitting, tomorrow I pick up my '06 Honda 919 as I just got the insurance on it yesterday. bring on the riding! I've applied for collector plates here in BC for the TX and hope to know within a month if it gets accepted. Thanks for your collective input and help.

Attachments

• 20200514_203923.jpg
    20200514_203923.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 136
Back