What have you done to your XS today?

I was thinking that earlier myself as I was working on suspension, alone in the garage.

Attachments

• 20201231_213127.jpg
    20201231_213127.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 103
20210102_173529.jpg
Big Slugs in Their Bores
20210102_184044.jpg
Big Barrels on the Cases
After practicing on old pistons with my new Lisle ring compressor to get the feel of a proper installation, the pistons went into the cylinders like clockwork. Four years ago, my last top overhaul, I used the popsicle stick method and having not grown a third hand in the interim, the addition of the ring compressor to the tool bin is well worth the small price even with HST.
I put the barrels on pretty well horizontal - getting the rods connected to the pistons was a bit fidly, but not that difficult.
Tomorrow - cam and head installation and torquing with my new Dewalt wrench.

Last edited:
20210103_174337-1.jpg
Next Time It'll Only Take Ten Minutes!
Instead of all afternoon. Cam chain of course would not pull up enough to join it together so I used some half inch drive sockets and washers to snug down the head a bit and presto, the chain lined up for the rivet link.
20210103_160709.jpg
A Little Hack With Sockets
Loosened them off as soon as I got it joined and then had to peen the link rivets. Once again, this site had several.threads about that, even had Mrs. Lakeview holding a 2 pound club hammer to back up my assortment of chisels and centre punches, no joy.
Finally cherry picked the right pieces from two chain break kits and with a tool that worked, nothing to it!
Practiced on a shock mount nut to see if I could feel a 20 foot pound release on my torque wrench. Obvious on the old Craftsman, totally imperceptible on the new Dewalt.
All set to button this up tomorrow.

Nuttin much. Just rode the ol girl 136 miles today.19 of it at 65-75 mph. Some of them on a road with too many potholes repaired 3 times over. Saw 3 female deer cross the road. 45 mph would be too fast on this road. 2 Border Patrol check points. Great bright day. Not too cold.
20210103_142334.jpg
20210103_131601.jpg
20210103_122205.jpg
20210103_121042.jpg
20210103_120923.jpg
20210103_121042.jpg

View attachment 181990
Big Slugs in Their Bores
View attachment 181993
Big Barrels on the Cases
After practicing on old pistons with my new Lisle ring compressor to get the feel of a proper installation, the pistons went into the cylinders like clockwork. Four years ago, my last top overhaul, I used the popsicle stick method and having not grown a third hand in the interim, the addition of the ring compressor to the tool bin is well worth the small price even with HST.
I put the barrels on pretty well horizontal - getting the rods connected to the pistons was a bit fidly, but not that difficult.
Tomorrow - cam and head installation and torquing with my new Dewalt wrench.

I didn’t remember you were putting a 750 kit in there, those pistons are purdy!

20210105_173240-1.jpg
All Torqued Up
Thirty foot pounds just doesn't feel tight enough. But I will go by the book.
Tomorrow cam seals and gaskets, (TCI motor), crankcase breather, cam chain adjuster, initial valve adjustment, and find my best looking left side cover.
Then assemble a set of BS34'S carbs and figure out the wiring for an '83 motor being fitted to a '78 Special frame.

After the motor sits a day or two, check the head bolt torque again. Gaskets have probably compressed a bit by then and you may find some of the bolts a little loose.

Well 12k miles has been passed on the odometer so it was time for the proverbial oil change. I was awestruck that the gasket did not tear, but stayed in one piece. Every thing went as it should. Ths SG has had a weeping leak at the left cam end. Took it down to cover off and cam seal out. Made sure all gasket was removed, oring was not cracked or broken. Cleaned everything. Remounted the o ring on the cam end housing, added a small bead of holymar on the o ring and flat surface. Reinstalled housing. Reinstalled the seal. Ran the engine for a bit. No seeping. We shall see how it will be in the long term.

I should explain the 12k remark. 12 k since the digital speedometer was installed. At least 3-4 speedo's have been on this bike. True mileage could be closer to 60k? Just a guess really. Maybe this is still considered low mileage for a 41 yo bike. I dunno.I just maintain, ride and enjoy her.

Back