What have you done to your XS today?

Heavy and IMO the ugliest side covers ever put on a motorcycle.
Kawasaki-KZ750-Left-Side.jpg

This bike? The side covers do remind me of the mufflers on the RE Interceptor. Huge! The interceptor is more easily dealt with. Just the same, I'd ride this Kawasaki.

Being a twin fan, I happen to have a PDF of the shop manual I found on the web somewhere. Looking through it, that bike is quite a bit more complex than ours. It has dual overhead cams and shim type valve adjusting. Although sort of like half a Z-1 motor, I don't think the performance was anything special.

Taking a closer look at the one you removed, I don't see any air bleed holes. That means it's not a BS30/96 but probably it's no-hole version, the N151.067. This was commonly used in many CV carbs .....

6T2f29E.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Mikuni-Pilot-Jet-N151-067-Carburetor/dp/B000UKJKCE

The one you pulled looks like it may have been a size 47.5?

It's no wonder most shops won't work on carburetors! It's not many who have the knowledge required to figure out wrong parts. If I had taken my screwed up carburetors to a motorcycle repair shop, likely they'd still be wrong when I got them back. Thank you @5twins for all the help making my carburetors right. Without the knowledge being shared here, it would be tough to keep the old girl going, and I'm my own PO!

Taking a closer look at the one you removed, I don't see any air bleed holes. That means it's not a BS30/96 but probably it's no-hole version, the N151.067. This was commonly used in many CV carbs .....

6T2f29E.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Mikuni-Pilot-Jet-N151-067-Carburetor/dp/B000UKJKCE

The one you pulled looks like it may have been a size 47.5?
Yes no holes and yes 47.5, since this is a top (not down along side) mix float bowl I doubt top or bottom orifice matters in the pilot. except for ease of cleaning out crap. But those two wildly different pilot numbers in the parts diagram with no explanation seem mysterious.

upload_2021-3-6_12-26-44.png

Oddly for as fuggled as the carbs were (way beyond what's seen here) the old pig ran pretty decent once warmed a bit.

Maybe the #30 size is a VM22/210 pilot? As I mentioned, the bowl looks like that type with the air being delivered to the top of the jet. Well, at least that type for 650 carbs. I don't know if Yamaha ever used the N151.067 type pilot jet in any of their carbs. It still doesn't make a lot of sense though, the sizes are very far apart. I mentioned having a PDF shop manual but it's no help. It gives no carb specs that I can find. What did you plan on putting back in there?

Maybe the #30 size is a VM22/210 pilot? As I mentioned, the bowl looks like that type with the air being delivered to the top of the jet. Well, at least that type for 650 carbs. I don't know if Yamaha ever used the N151.067 type pilot jet in any of their carbs. It still doesn't make a lot of sense though, the sizes are very far apart. I mentioned having a PDF shop manual but it's no help. It gives no carb specs that I can find. What did you plan on putting back in there?
Good question right? Was ok with the 47.5 but who knows, once the rest of the carb is back in spec. I'll follow up with "the rest of the story" later.

I spoke too soon, lol. There is a small spec listing but it doesn't mention jet type. Also, fuel level seems set quite low (4.5 to 6.5mm below bowl/body seam).

Patrzilla fitche calls for a 92064-1021..... #30. Found this one on Ebay. Has the holes.

s-l500.jpg

I never knew it before, but apparently the number of bleed holes can be used to help identify the type of pilot .....

T3626xd.jpg

A9srBZY.jpg

..... so that would make that eBay jet a VM22/210 type.

Finished putting some powder coated bits on the carbs and they are soon ready to be tested. Last thing to do is replumb the crankcase breather. Took the old anodized clutch perch off and had it powder coated satin black. New clutch assembly (new cable; one piece aluminum rod; 8 plate conversion; new clutch seal; Barnett springs) now operational. Might be warm enough this Tuesday to go out for a spin!

C2348446-A382-4B2C-9855-8F936BC464E6.jpeg
9A481D2F-CCF4-42D0-B6FC-0762E2A87602.jpeg
B3D2AB77-9C59-4DEE-88C0-84111D4DC1A9.jpeg
339B168B-3773-49A9-9F0B-2799919AD134.jpeg

Finished putting some powder coated bits on the carbs and they are soon ready to be tested. Last thing to do is replumb the crankcase breather. Took the old anodized clutch perch off and had it powder coated satin black. New clutch assembly (new cable; one piece aluminum rod; 8 plate conversion; new clutch seal; Barnett springs) now operational. Might be warm enough this Tuesday to go out for a spin!

View attachment 186412 View attachment 186413 View attachment 186414 View attachment 186415

Looking sharp! ;)

Didn't get around to engine seals yesterday...pour'd rain and rushed allot of yard work before that then contemplated my ft. fork innards. Today..beautiful day. Just spent an hour + rereading some oil leak threads in TECH section and also see this half a case of oil I still have is usable with my wet clutch/ virgin Kevlar disks...So, getting up to do seals, rub on some metal mating surfaces. Got the sproket nut off, have a new sproket and nut. Think I'm going to use either grey Yamabond or Anerobic gasketmaker (red...luv that stuff) tapping in the clutch rod seal. Was going to lace up ft. wheel. Forgot to send ft. hub to get blasted with the other. OK, going to attack seals now.

Attachments

• Green Oil Breakfast of Champions..jpg
    Green Oil Breakfast of Champions..jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 87
20210307_155839.jpg
Different Use For It
I have been cleaning a set of cases to house some good left over bits and did the scraping and varsol spray, degreaser and water hose spray outside ( brrr) air blast and brought them inside to warm up again and I saw my can of fogging oil.
Never have been a fan of WD40 so I misted some of the fogging oil over the ferrous bits in the cases and saw that it was also leaving a nice clean surface. Nicer to smell in the basement than carb cleaner or brake cleaner too.

Back