What have you done to your XS today?

upload_2021-10-5_19-7-41.png

HaulBike.com delivered yesterday. Super excited. Couple of small details today. The seat mounting is velcro to the tail section. I added a few strips 2" wide 4" long at contact points to prevent an "oops". The charging system may be weak. The tail section is bolted down so I removed it to access the battery to check charging. I discovered that there is a power cable, + and -, that is easily accessible to connect a charger and check battery voltage. Handy to have when a wrench is needed for battery access. Checks suggested by several regulars here indicate may need a regulator. I will have to charge, measure, run it theneasure battery again to see if I am charging. The "technical info" on this site is outstanding.

Today when I rode home from work I replaced the special triple lip 7mm cam shaft seals that leaked very soon after installation with 5mm seal's I got from a bearing supply store for far less than what I paid for the 7mm seal's. Much more straightforward to do now with the boyer ignition, less than one hour so then i rebuilt the rear calliper, lot's of crud under the piston and seal cleaned out and new dot 4 fluid. Also cleaned up the slider pin with a brass toothbrush as it was very hard to move and packed it with rubber grease. Now slides freely and hopefully I've solved the uneven pad wear and orbital scraping/shudder in the calliper. Still waiting for a replacement alternator rotor from Geoffs xs as it is not charging since the rotor screws came loose.

Mounted the front caliper, wired headlight & turn signals, cleaned carbs and made throttle cable, installed the Magura throttle, rinsed tank and made up lines with filters, mounted tank, adjusted the valves and pre lubed the top end, bought gas with no ethanol, started motor for a few seconds, (too old for kick start bike). Still waiting on #3AN fitting for front brakes. I might actually make that Oct 15th for sale date?
DSCN0213.JPG DSCN0216.JPG DSCN0214.JPG DSCN0215.JPG DSCN0219.JPG DSCN0221.JPG DSCN0220.JPG DSCN0217.JPG

Mounted the front caliper, wired headlight & turn signals, cleaned carbs and made throttle cable, installed the Magura throttle, rinsed tank and made up lines with filters, mounted tank, adjusted the valves and pre lubed the top end, bought gas with no ethanol, started motor for a few seconds, (too old for kick start bike). Still waiting on #3AN fitting for front brakes. I might actually make that Oct 15th for sale date?
View attachment 199696 View attachment 199697 View attachment 199698 View attachment 199699 View attachment 199700 View attachment 199701 View attachment 199702 View attachment 199703

Your bike looks great! I’m so impressed by your wiring. Oct 15th sale date? :umm:

It’s not what I’ve done to my XS, it’s what I’m gonna do to it. The Future Mrs. and I finally started moving into our new home. For once in my life I’ll have space for all my motorcycles without them being stacked on top of each other, AND I’ll have room to walk around and work on things. Can’t wait to start getting it all together.

D54F523A-05C9-451E-BBF0-FA9DF7D1FA66.jpeg

It’s not what I’ve done to my XS, it’s what I’m gonna do to it. The Future Mrs. and I finally started moving into our new home. For once in my life I’ll have space for all my motorcycles without them being stacked on top of each other, AND I’ll have room to walk around and work on things. Can’t wait to start getting it all together.

View attachment 199921
It sure looks a lot like the one I saw at Barber.
upload_2021-10-15_11-18-33.png

View attachment 199921
You might consider painting before you get unpacked. I masked my garage and had a pro come in and texture, prime and paint. All before I moved in.

You might consider painting before you get unpacked. I masked my garage and had a pro come in and texture, prime and paint. All before I moved in.
If we didn't have other priorities like appliances, furniture, roof cleaning, new ironing board, more shoes, and whatever else is above "garage" on her the list I would definitely want to have it painted. I'm just happy with the space for now.
My project for the weekend is to figure out the "internet center."
33082832-9A41-46BC-AAB6-667089B20866.jpeg

Kinda looks like some of the XS wiring I've seen around here......:laugh:

Last edited:
My project for the weekend is to figure out the "internet center."
I made my house fully wireless with routers and repeaters about 8-10 yrs ago. Ain't touched a Cat5 or coax cable since. Being able to move a TV or computer from one room to another and not touching anything more than a power cable is.... satisfying. :sneaky:

I made my house fully wireless with routers and repeaters about 8-10 yrs ago. Ain't touched a Cat5 or coax cable since. Being able to move a TV or computer from one room to another and not touching anything more than a power cable is.... satisfying. :sneaky:
I finished a bare basement. I wired for surround sound in 2 areas and ran Cat 5 or Cat 6 along with 12ga speaker wire . When Black Friday prices on 65inch TV came out (cheap) 2 years ago I discovered that Smart TV means I don't need data,, RG6, CAT6. But I still need speaker wire to power some classic sounding old speakers from Craig's list or FB buy sell trade..

Attachments

• 16343445796156019887469792363378.jpg
    16343445796156019887469792363378.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 16343446153488714189335857405734.jpg
    16343446153488714189335857405734.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 63
Problem with smart TV's is after 5 years the Tv works good but the manufacturer stops app upgrades effectively rendering the TV obsolete, prone to virus attacks and programs wont work properly......throw away and buy a new one......

Problem with smart TV's is after 5 years the Tv works good but the manufacturer stops app upgrades effectively rendering the TV obsolete, prone to virus attacks and programs wont work properly......throw away and buy a new one......
I will acknowledge that. Though my main living area has a Smart TV, that came from deceased uncle, (nobody wanted it.) :) that serves well on a HDMI cable to the cable box. I only need the wireless connection in the Bar area for sports broadcasts and cable music or old movies.

Back