What have you done to your XS today?

The starter motor fits into a big seal and if it goes bad, it can really leak badly. It was bad on my '78 when I got it. Not even running, it "marked it's spot" pretty good, lol .....

0W6x6rL.jpg

20211105_185638.jpg
Mocked the back wheel and swing arm up, wanted a better choice of tyre, found the swinging arm on ebay think it's either dreda or davida for a gs750, narrowed the front to fitvthe frame, needed this to fit the 130/90 18 tyre fitted onto an early cb550 hub with wide alloy rim

Last edited:
Temps warmed back up for a bit, got madness out. Started pouring gas out the overflow tubes on prime. Put the vacuum petcocks back to on and rode to town on an errand, shouldn't have, but made it home. On the lift tonight, found this wedged in the RH float valve seat. (VM34's)
20211105_202228.jpg

Looks like a sliver or weed stalk. dropped and cleaned both float bowls, a bit of varnish and gunk, seemed like paint overspray from the gas tank. Overflow now stopped. I'm certain an hour or more of road test time will be required tomorrow.

View attachment 201091Mocked the back wheel and swing arm up, wanted a better choice of tyre, found the swinging arm on ebay think it's either dreda or davida for a gs750, narrowed the front to fitvthe frame, needed this to fit the 130/90 18 tyre fitted onto an early cb550 hub with wide alloy rim
Looking good, love old skool hot rodding.
shock mounts.jpg
yer scaring me a bit with those lower shock mounts.....................
Flipping the brake arm OK but check that the cam is symmetrical? Early XS brake cams aren't, and need to be reground to work with the arm flipped.

Last edited:
Looking good, love old skool hot rodding.
View attachment 201156
yer scaring me a bit with those lower shock mounts.....................
Flipping the brake arm OK but check that the cam is symmetrical? Early XS brake cams aren't, and need to be reground to work with the arm flipped.
Not the best I know, but figured if I got a shouldered bolt made up it would be similar to the top mounting on the xs frame, or could go the other way and get shocks to suit the arm and bolt straight through the top mount, shocks are welded up, they are just there for class regs, as race in classic class, without the shocks would have to go into racing class up against 9.5 second modern Japanese biles

Does size matter . This Polaris series regulator arrived as did the Triumph harness, which does not connect directly and requires swapping connectors over. (I would choose a different option re wiring if I was starting over) I need to modify to accommodate the bigger unit.

Attachments

• 25C4D48A-FB99-4BD8-8F80-E9F2AA422C56.jpeg
    25C4D48A-FB99-4BD8-8F80-E9F2AA422C56.jpeg
    359.1 KB · Views: 82
20211107_153543.jpg
Callin' It
It got up to 15 C today so no rider worthy of the name would miss the chance to go out. Halfway to Lighthouse Cove where the Thames River dumps into the lake, the faceplate of my speedo came loose, the needle spun up and down and quit.
Not wanting to further damage the instruments interior, although probably the damage is done, I turned around after a bit and brought it back. I have a couple spares on a shelf but given the disarray of my recent move and the length of the resulting honey do list, that's it for the season.
20211107_153748.jpg
Five Years for a Battery Can't Complain
The FJ09 was my first choice today, but nothing but clicks when I turned the key.
The XS on the other hand, fired right up and idled with only a few seconds of choke lever.
Nice ride after all.

View attachment 201199
Callin' It
It got up to 15 C today so no rider worthy of the name would miss the chance to go out. Halfway to Lighthouse Cove where the Thames River dumps into the lake, the faceplate of my speedo came loose, the needle spun up and down and quit.
Not wanting to further damage the instruments interior, although probably the damage is done, I turned around after a bit and brought it back. I have a couple spares on a shelf but given the disarray of my recent move and the length of the resulting honey do list, that's it for the season.
View attachment 201201
Five Years for a Battery Can't Complain
The FJ09 was my first choice today, but nothing but clicks when I turned the key.
The XS on the other hand, fired right up and idled with only a few seconds of choke lever.
Nice ride after all.

Cool we got one more day (Monday) before the temps drop but there's always hope til the salt trucks roll.
Should be an easy fix on the speedo, just pry back the bezel ring, open and put the screws back in.

That's a good score. Can't find them any more, if you do they would be a pretty penny or 2. Especially since they are only a 2 year rev-counter and tower and with a klm speedo
Yes lucky to find the speedo, from Wagga Australia no less, jumped on it as soon as i saw it come up on ebay. the tacho came from the states

Started working on the frame today. I cut the hoop off a while back. I knew I wanted a pannier system on the bike, but let's face it, a lot of the systems are big and bulky when not running luggage. I don't want to take the racks off when I'm not running bags either so wanted something low key. I tried designing a few but never came out the way I wanted. Then I found, by chance, the sw motech slc racks. They are very versatile. Check them out. They obviously don't make any for our bikes, so ordered some for the triumph speed twin as it looked like I could make it work. I opened up the hole just slightly to mount on the shock bolt, and will be making a bracket for them to bolt to under the seat. I Had to move the hoop farther back than I had planned to accommodate, but that gives me more passenger room, so it's a win in my book.

Attachments

• 20211110_202449.jpg
    20211110_202449.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 76
Started working on the frame today. I cut the hoop off a while back. I knew I wanted a pannier system on the bike, but let's face it, a lot of the systems are big and bulky when not running luggage. I don't want to take the racks off when I'm not running bags either so wanted something low key. I tried designing a few but never came out the way I wanted. Then I found, by chance, the sw motech slc racks. They are very versatile. Check them out. They obviously don't make any for our bikes, so ordered some for the triumph speed twin as it looked like I could make it work. I opened up the hole just slightly to mount on the shock bolt, and will be making a bracket for them to bolt to under the seat. I Had to move the hoop farther back than I had planned to accommodate, but that gives me more passenger room, so it's a win in my book.
I like it. You going for a dual use/adv kinda vibe... or road bike?

Thank you. I think I'm going for a more adv type bike, but I acknowledge the fact I will be on the road 95% of the time. I do love exploring the road less traveled, so I want to build it up just enough to be able to handle it. Suspension set up for curvy road riding, while having aggressive pegs and 80/20 tires. All I need.

Back