What have you done to your XS today?

Sad day. Exhaust came off so bike can go on jack.View attachment 202543 Bike on the jack now.View attachment 202544Did I do this wrong. It is a Harbor Freight jack. It DOES have tie down loops on the rolling frame but using those locks you at a fixed height. Comments?
Loops with straps should be good but make sure the mechanical locks are engaged when tightening the straps.

20211203_170759-1.jpg
Feed Me!
Garage shop is spray foamed, boarded with half inch plywood (code ok as not connected to a dwelling), painted, base board installed, and now wired with a pony panel that gives me a 240V outlet for heater, welder, EV charging etc. and 6 duplex receptacles on 3 different circuits plus 5 strips of LED's.
Let there be clutter!20211203_170917.jpg
Almost Need Shades!
These lights should go a good way to beating the winter SADD's.

View attachment 202626
Feed Me!
Garage shop is spray foamed, boarded with half inch plywood (code ok as not connected to a dwelling), painted, base board installed, and now wired with a pony panel that gives me a 240V outlet for heater, welder, EV charging etc. and 6 duplex receptacles on 3 different circuits plus 5 strips of LED's.
Let there be clutter!View attachment 202627
Almost Need Shades!
These lights should go a good way to beating the winter SADD's.
Very nicely done. Makes me want to do that to my garage, but I would have to get a 20 yard dumpster first to clear out junk and make space though. I checked locally in the gta and was told cost is about $7 / sq ft Cdn, is that about right? Was also told I need to cover the foam on the walls with fire rated material (perhaps different code locally), but was there any requirement to cover the exposed foam on the underside of the roof? Thanks and congrats!

Local codes here require fire rated covering (dry wall) on the house portion of attached garages. Those walls that are exterior to the garage are unspecified. I did 3/8 exterior ply siding for durability. It won't get gouged. Spray foam would be nice but my budget at the time was rolls of R14. A painter came in and did a coarse orange Pell texture to hide my lazy mudding skills
16385731922968227752099138265779.jpg

Seven bucks a foot for foam is probably in the ballpark, the industry is still shaking out the bad actors, see Spray Jones on YouTube for a primer.
This 18 x 20 garage is detached from the residence so code is different. In addition to Ontario code, your municipality may also have extra local requirements.

Today I finally fitted the xs1 replica handlebars to replace the great old bar's with six inch rise and four inch pull back that got bent and twisted when the dealership dropped the bike off the stand while fitting a new front tyre!#*. It took many months and a dozen or so visits to the store to get the damaged parts replaced including both right indicators, a pair off xs1 mufflers, rear grab rail ,levers and the handlebar rubber mounts that were torn. They also fitted the incorrect front tyre.#!*.. Needless to say I will not be going back again.
20211204_182555.jpg

I don't know why I still do business with Mike's XS. I decided to freshen up my coils. I'm running the original Yamaha coils that came on the bike, including the condensers. :)
I ordered a couple of their 17-6805. States it works with a bunch of bikes including my 77. Coils come in today. They have Yellow and black wires instead of Yam's brown and orange, no biggie. But the male and female plugs on the new coils are reversed! :wtf:Does it make a difference which wire goes to power and which to the points? I don't know. Maybe not since Yamaha didn't stamp their coils + or -. But it does on an automotive coil. Plus and minus is marked on either side of the coil. I'm going to send them an E-mail so they can tell me it makes no difference. I know good and well someone else has ordered these and ask questions and made them aware, but they are still selling them azzbackards. Maybe they will tell me to do the "pencil" test and if not right, to cut the plugs off and reverse em? :cussing:

I'm going to send them an E-mail so they can tell me it makes no difference.
You're assuming that there's someone there qualified to answer your question. I'm having doubts about them having anyone who knows something about anything. Especially as it concerns the XS650. "...clean the communicator in the starter."

If your meter is capable....
One terminal to the HT output will read just the secondary resistance. The other will read both primary and secondary resistance (they're in series because of the common ground point). Whichever has the higher resistance is the positive terminal.
Fwiw... I'm of the opinion that it don't make much difference. 4 cyl Lycoming fire both ways through the coil... 2 cyl's get the pos. and 2 get the neg pulse... all 4 still run just fine. :shrug:

circ_ic.gif

Old Coil:
Reading HT to rear terminal (#1) = 7.93 K ohms
Reading HT to front terminal ( #2) = 7.93 K ohms
Reading #1 to #2 = 4.1 ohm ( and the coils are 4 ohm coils) So no change in HT to #1 or #2. Hummmm.

New coil:
Reading HT to rear terminal (#1) = 8.17 K ohms
Reading HT to front terminal ( #2) = 8.17 K ohms
reading #1 to #2 = 4.5 ohms

Looks like you might be able to hook it up either way, however, the old coil looks to be as good as the new one.
What say you, Jim?

Yep, new coil reading went to 4.4 ohms. ( I had it in auto range.) Meters right up there with a fluke.
Thanks Jim. I'm gona stick it back together as is, Azzbackards and see what it does. I have a terminal tool and a lot of brass terminals but I hate to mess with it if I don't have to, and really one shouldn't have to.

Yep, new coil reading went to 4.4 ohms. ( I had it in auto range.) Meters right up there with a fluke.
Thanks Jim. I'm gona stick it back together as is, Azzbackards and see what it does. I have a terminal tool and a lot of brass terminals but I hate to mess with it if I don't have to, and really one shouldn't have to.
thumbsup.gif

Back