What have you done to your XS today?

This morning, dressed in business casual clothes, I threw on an old fleece and went out in the garage after the wife had left to take both kids to daycare. I figured what's an extra 20 minutes.... I was early. So I FINALLY got the front wheel bearings out!!!! Pulled into work 10 minutes later feeling mighty satisfied.

Thanks to 3 or 4 really good threads here, I freakin got it! Phew!

As long as I find a way to get the tires off tonight, I can drop them off for blast/powedercoat tomorrow.

Long time ago (70's) I made up a stand and used a portable radio with a pull up antenna and set the tip of the antenna on my wheel and just kept adjusting till it spun around even.

Turned out wheely nice gggGary, I have two hubs looking at me from the shelf.

Trying to rewire...everything else on this build is done. The PO did a hack job, tried to mark all the wires to extend them to the battery box, but it's still a mess. I want to start all over. Planning on cutting the wires short at the components and running my own labeled wires, but I'm having trouble finding simplified schematics. Stock charging system, no gauges, kick only, headlight, tail light. No blinkers. Simple 3 way headlight switch...sounds easy right? :doh:

Hey JMT---Go the tech section, look for the electrical heading and the first thing is wiring . Spend a half an hour there and you will be on your way. tim

Tasks, as always, take longer than one thinks they will.
A week back, ordered new tires to replace ol' baldy at the back and ol' hard'n'leaky at the front.
Delivered to my door by Canada Post 4 days later.
Took a morning to jack up the rig's back end, remove the back wheel, find my extra front wheel and drop the wheels and new tires at a local bike shop.
Picked up the wheels, new tires on, old tires disposed of, at 4pm.
End of day one.
What with swapping the brake disks over the 2 hour wheel install took all of effin' day two.
Meanwhile my spring startup had revealed the need for a new battery.
In theory, charge it up and fling it in.
Yeah, right. As if.
Install goes OK. Turn on, not so much.
Green light shines bright, signals work, try horn, massive earsplitting blast instead of the former low voltage bleat.
Push starter. One clicking sound from somewhere under the seat then nothin'!
All fuses check OK.
Severe WTF? moment.
Two entire effin' days pulling plug-in connectors apart and pushing them back together.
What can I say except the problem went away as mysteriously as it showed up and I still have no idea what caused it?
But now the rig is road-ready. If it ever warms up enough for an old fart to go riding.
Wish me luck, eh?

I put 6-overs on my 73 and now look at it lean!!! Definitely going to have to weld some extra length on my side stand.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 160
I don't need to do anything to mine now it's been re-furbed, but today i just went out to the garage just to start it up and listen to it, and i grin at the way it dances across the floor when you blip the throttle, it's so much better than the SH*T heap i bought a year and a half ago whilst wearing rose tinted spectacles.:bike::D

I put 6-overs on my 73 and now look at it lean!!! Definitely going to have to weld some extra length on my side stand.

Serious angles

Nice bike...

Any idea what angle yours sits at? I believe Harley's publish their lean over angle to be around 28-30(?), not saying that's right or wrong, more of just an observation...

Any ideas on what angle you would want to be at?

Thanks mate.

That lean angle was so acute that the floats in the carbs weren't working and fuel was pissing out the overflow tube. I needed to add at least 80mm do my side stand (an entire house brick). So I took it to a friend who is a good welder and we modified my sidestand and now it's back to almost a stock lean.

Harley's are single carb, so I don't think that's a problem. All my friends choppers sit at pretty serious angles on the side stand and it's okay, but the XS's don't seem to be able to tolerate it.

Gave it some company...

'Cause even though I'm knee deep into the XS650 it's still a good time to take on more work, right? :doh:

Dammit Craigslist!

'71 CL350.
Unlike some of the other bikes I have... it runs, is mostly intact, had a title, and was fairly cheap.:D

Attachments

• CL350_2.jpg
    CL350_2.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 119
Put new rear brake shoes on, new rod that goes back to the brake lever, installed the 3rd, rectifier, have the first 2 go bad so I bought a larger amperage one, going to try it before I use the radio shack ones I picked up the other day. I rechecked my out put of the alternator at idle 10-13 vac revved up it goes as high as 50vac. Waiting on brake line for the front and rebuild the front calliper.

Put on my new brake line, bled the brakes (with help from this forum), welded a sissy bar out of rebar, welded another sissy bar out of an old chain, made some brackets, rewired loose wiring to my regulator, rode it really fast.

Replaced the 40 year old new conti rear with a new new k70 rear, polished the brake and changed some hardware. Then went for another shake apart ride, kinda aggressive this time (I think we saw 80 mph). I think all the bits are still on.

Back