What have you done to your XS today?

Well, I stripped the harness and chased every connection in pursuit of my electrical drain. I think I found it...though not sure exactly what it was as I cleaned up a number of connections. Tested all of the elements and then tightened up the wiring for the fifth time...and probably not the last and low and behold it started second kick with appropriate readings from the PMA and no drain of the battery. By the way, I bought a really nice Lithium Ion for $99.00 at an auto parts store. I really like it.
Anyway, with all the discussion of battery vs capacitor, I have decided I am going to wire in a headlight bypass switch so I can run capacitor or battery. I think it will be a matter of disabling the handlebar light switch and running lights from a toggle on the can.
Looks like we will be taking her for decent test ride praying for no more electrical issues.
Thanks again Jayel for your diagram on the '81H. Though much of the harness has been eliminated with the safety switches and relays.
Peace all and safe riding!
Rob

I'm not looking forward to the electrics as its one area I absolutely zero knowledge of - I finished installing my cam chain and put he head back on today - used the old cam chain caus the new one was still a link short. Next step is to sit the engine in what thrned out to be the Amen chopper frame (I thought it was a Santee) so I can work out drive chain line and mono shock suspension. Frame was originally designed for a Honda 4 engine but has the low long look I'm after for my XS. Have an old Harley wide glide front end I'm panning on working into the build. Long way to go and aiming to have her on the road by Easter next year if not sooner. Slug.

It was last night, not today. Anyways... I replaced a bolt and spacer that had vibrated out and jumped bike and also helicoiled a hole for the Rt Exhaust valve cover, lower stud. I had a longer bolt in there a while but it stripped out too. Went to ACE HDWR and got the 6X1 kit and a 1/4" bit and drill motor. Used the cover as a guide for the drilling. Removed it and tapped it. Used the installer to intall the helicoil. So far so good. Feels tight. Haven't ridden it yet. I didn't feel the need for a documtry because it's been done a 1000 times before and I'm sure someone WAY more qualified had done so.

^^ Yeah Azman, I'm a big fan of torquing but some of these PO's have done their ill will and we get to finish the blunder unbeknownst! Especially on those small studs.

Today I threw some rough '77 headers onto the '83, keeping the Dunstalls on. Added the chrome stock muffler hangars - swapping out some painted ones.

Put some older stock 12.5" shocks on, the pre-reflector model, took the 11"'rs off. Easier to get her up on the center stand. Also cobbled an early style grab bar on for a lift location.

Put a 34 tooth rear sprocket on for a bit better torque and less shifting.....slowly reconciling to the engineers and their grand design. Yeah , yeah, yeah, change all sprockets and chain at the same. I have a half dozen hanging around to choose from. Just pick the closest match.
Took her out for a run and all's good. Still have the '77 geared 17/32. Might just leave her be for now........

Last edited:
Changed the oil and the clutch friction discs and springs. Will see how well it works in the morning on the breakfast run.

Put in the 35mm Sportster springs, according to my calculations 13% stiffer than stock, so I just had to do a thorough test.

20160604_160328.jpg

Didn't go anywhere and spent 2 hours on the back roads getting there. Just love riding this bike! :thumbsup:

20160604_160328.jpg

I replaced the right side camshaft oil seal. And also the gasket behind that cover. The seal was pretty worn out and letting through a good amount of oil.

All better now though :)

Ordered a Shinko 230 rear tire. The 712 is wearing down. Gonna wipe down the Ol' SG later.

Ok, I'm gonna beat this clutch slippage this weekend. All the new bits are here, 7 fiber and 6 oem steel clutches, NOS cable, +20% springs, replacement stock type screws for the tension springs. With all this, what's the next shoe drop bringing.

Hi all, I put a pint of petrol in and kick started it! Brilliant! Sounds really good. I wanted to ride it but the 12V came via jump leads and the saddle was off so I'll have to wait. Thats difficult. I'll have some before and after pix soon.

More of a what I've done in the last couple of weeks but, did the Bendix fix, swapped out the stock tci ignition for a pamco setup, replaced the wiring harness (still some issues there), and replaced the exhaust. Thought it was all good until I went to show the Mrs how it sounded and couldn't get it to start off the electric starter. Went to kick it and no resistance/turn-over off the kickstarter. Got ticked off and walked away from it. Remembered that I'd used the kill switch earlier so that explains the electric start issue but I'll have to tear into it tomorrow to figure out why the kickstarter stopped working. Pretty sure I tested it after putting the side cover back on.

Picked up my rear wheel with the new Shinko 230 on it. I'll install it later. It's raining off and on tonight so not a good time to check out a new tire. Should be good in the morning so I'll check it out on the breakfeast run to Carl's jr.

changed my rear tube - got a mysterious flat the other day while riding and the back end felt like I was riding a flat track bike on greasy dirt. Rode it home very cautiously and put in a heavy duty tube - seems to be A-OK! Shinko 705 tires are tough! Really dunno what happened, other than maybe the tire pressure was a few PSI low.

Well, I didn't change the cable but all the rest (software) is new and the clutch doesn't slip. Seems the best way to reclaim your lost youth is to get your old bike back, undo and fix all the crap you did 40 years ago, go at it full throttle and note you haven't the cajones you once had. 60+ mph in second, that I had forgotten!

Back