What if your medical treatment was possibly killing you, and nobody told you?

YamadudeXS650C

Central New York XS650
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Well, that's the way it goes these days.

Back on June 30th of this year, the FDA announced this:

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is alerting people who use Philips Respironics ventilators, BiPAP, and CPAP machines and their health care providers that Philips Respironics has recalled certain devices (see table below) due to potential health risks. The polyester-based polyurethane (PE-PUR) sound abatement foam, which is used to reduce sound and vibration in these affected devices, may break down and potentially enter the device’s air pathway. If this occurs, black debris from the foam or certain chemicals released into the device’s air pathway may be inhaled or swallowed by the person using the device.

I somehow missed the news which was covered by the major newspapers.
I found out today on a YouTube video, HaHa.

So I looked further. Phillips has issued this statement:

URGENT: Medical Device Recall
Philips Respironics is voluntarily recalling the below devices due to two (2) issues related to the polyester-based polyurethane (PE-PUR) sound abatement foam used in Philips Continuous and NonContinuous Ventilators: 1) PE-PUR foam may degrade into particles which may enter the device’s air pathway and be ingested or inhaled by the user, and 2) the PE-PUR foam may off-gas certain chemicals. The foam degradation may be exacerbated by use of unapproved cleaning methods, such as ozone (see FDA safety communication on use of Ozone cleaners), and off-gassing may occur during operation.
These issues can result in serious injury which can be life-threatening, cause permanent impairment, and/or require medical intervention to preclude permanent impairment.

It is recommended that you stop using your equipment and consult your doctor.

I am one of 10 million people just in the US who use CPAP at night to breathe properly and avoid serious health issues including heart disease and stroke. And car accidents (we fall asleep at the wheel).

So, I called the medical equipment company who sold me the machine and instructed me on its use. They were stoic; "We expected the manufacturer to inform you". Phillips did not inform me, like most people, I have read. They sold 30 million of these dangerous machines. I called my doctor who prescribed it. They said they expected the medical supply company to inform me.

Truck drivers who have been diagnosed with sleep apnea are required to use CPAP/Bipap to keep their jobs (It was a truck driver who filed the first class action lawsuit, apparently), and we patients are all electronically monitored constantly as to our nightly follow through. I get a phone call when there is a fluctuation in my CPAP usage. Medical Big Brother.

So, my doctor, the medical equipment company, and my insurance company are all monitoring me, but none of them (all of them knew about the recall) thought to contact me.

I hope this is informative to other CPAP users.

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices...-machines-recalled-due-potential-health-risks

Last edited:
That's bad news. Hope your ok........... Would think all of the Health system participants who were treating and supplying you with the n]ventilators would have made sure you had the information and not rely on the others
Thanks,
I think the companies were all trying to avoid "exposure", that is, they didn't want to have their minimally trained phone operators informing patients of what their risk was, and possibly saying "the wrong thing" on the phone, exposing them to liability.

Thanks for everyone's support.
I seem to be doing OK, and checked my machine for evidence of foam disintegration particles.
My insurance company has stepped up and waived the 5-year requirement for replacement of the machine, so I'll be getting a new one (at 20% cost) in a couple weeks. Thankfully I have good insurance. Many do not. They cost $1200.

Crap! My wife has one. Thanks for the heads up!
Marty,, that link I gave has a hyperlink to the list of affected machines.
You can call your DME and get checked for this important detail, and get registered for replacement, but it could take many months.
Send me a PM if you want more info.

Last edited:
Marty,, that link I gave has a hyperlink to the list of affected machines.
You can call your DME and get checked for this important detail, and get registered for replacement, but it could take many months.
Send me a PM if you want more info.
Yes, my wife has one of the affected machines. We had no idea! I gave her the info and she’s not putting that thing back on her face. It’s going to get a little rough for us until she gets it resolved.

I was recently changed from a CPAP machine to a BI-PAP machine. Due to problems dealing with the first DME we had changed to a different DME. When I was given the new BI-PAP machine there was some fleeting mention of a problem with the CPAP machine I had been on but guess I just dismissed it. Now maybe I need to do some more research! So far no one other that the one person who kind of mentioned it has contacted me.

A side note/question on this subject, how long should it take to feel any improvement from using one of these machines? I've been on one or the other for something like two years or more and doctor keeps telling me my numbers are good but then claims to be making adjustments or switching me from one machine to another type.

Just printed out the "Recall Notice" what gets me among other things is they did not put a date on this letter. Seems like they want you to not know how long this problem was known. The only date is one that says "All devices manufactured before 26 April 2021" That would indicate to me that they made some change in April 2021. It's now a full four months latter and no one has "Officially" notified anyone?

I'll be back to this thread and reply to some posts later this morning.
I've got a dentist appointment to run to just now

It doesn't surprise me at all that your health care provider didn't let you know. June of last year I had a routine doctor visit scheduled (by them). When I showed up the office was closed, as in not in use any longer.My appointment had been made 6 months earlier, plenty of time to let me know and save a trip.

Luckily my machine is a different manufacturer however I’m pretty sure I had a Phillips in the past. My health care provider also notified me a few months ago that my sleep Dr is no longer with them either. That’s too bad because she was a holy terror on the nurses and I enjoyed seeing her because it was a total Alpha battle when I went in and I enjoyed poking the bear. My equipment supplier is pretty good about keeping in contact about my supplies but I think I’ll ask them about this situation, how far back it affects and what they are doing about it.

When you received the new machine, we’re the registration forms filled out, or was the box registered on line? It seems that would be the only way you could expect contact.
I guess I might have assumed the DME and or the Dr. would have noted that I was given the machine.

I mean it's not like a TV or lawn mower that just anyone can walk in to a store and buy, have to have a prescription to get one.

The again the Oxy pills I got before my operation I doubt anyone knows what I did with them! But I would hope that the drug store that filled the prescription would, if they found out they were defective, be able to contact me, never heard of having to fill out and send in a registration form for pills.

A side note/question on this subject, how long should it take to feel any improvement from using one of these machines? I've been on one or the other for something like two years or more and doctor keeps telling me my numbers are good but then claims to be making adjustments or switching me from one machine to another type.
Ken, I'm not able to answer your questions, but there are forums on the web where you might find the info. Here is one:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/
and another: https://www.cpaptalk.com/CPAP-Sleep-Apnea-Forum.html

As for the question of registering the machine, no card came with my current machine in 2018. My DME bought the machine, adjusted its settings, and then sold it to me. I think that they were solidly responsible for informing me of the recall, and I let them know this when I talked to them, as well as how angry I was and disgusted by their neutrality on the matter. The last time I had a significant problem with them I got a hold of the CEO and let him know how I felt. I'll probably do the same in this circumstance.

My equipment supplier is pretty good about keeping in contact about my supplies but I think I’ll ask them about this situation, how far back it affects and what they are doing about it.
It goes back to 2009 machines. You might be eligible to join the class action lawsuits.

Back