? - what ignitions are out there? -

Need the weight slinging around on the flywheel to make them cruise out more smoothly.......the more the merrier when not being used as a racer........as in just getting there smoother........the less the rattier.......xsjohn

- thats the same system as in post #7 in this thread...as far as im aware no one here has tried it

Hey!!! New to the XS and xs650.com. Gotta question. My 79 Special seems to have an aftermarket ignition as there is nothing under the cam covers. When I say nothing that probably means no Pamco as not even an advance system is present. I have found no maker markings on anything electrical, mostly because I haven't removed most of the road grunge that is present on everything. Once I start cleaning it up, what should I look for? Any particular markings, placement of particular parts etc? Would just like to know what I have on the bike. Thanks in advance for any useful info. Lobo

- welcome...do you have one of the later models with yamaha original electronic ign

- TCI

2-16-4053.jpg

question on the ignition the lhs of the ignition where the cam spins the contacts on my 77 are sparking what can this mean?

Inxs, is there a source for dual lobed points cams for a rephased motor?

- never seen a 270° dual lobe cam, with only 90° between the lobes i wouldnt think youd get good points operation, easier would be to modify the points plate to operate 2 sets of points. or get one of those paco units, there is a swiss unit that i personally think is better, but is also way more expensive

I am running one of Mike Riddle's ignitions on my XS2 AHRMA Production racer and I love it. The bike runs better than it ever did with the total loss/points set up.
Now I need to persuade him to make me one for my Aermacchi/Harley-Davidson Sprint!

Another option you may not know about, a transistorized ignition system.

This keeps the original points, but uses them to trigger the transistors instead of running full voltage through them.
Steadies the idle
Makes it much easier to start
Makes the points last virtually forever
Keeps the original advance profile (good or bad)
Does not add more than 5w of load.

Can be bypassed easily if it were to fail and costs $77 bucks. What is not to love?

http://sohc4shop.com/catalog/produc...id=32&osCsid=cf0de2ee504ca8e253b6f3d8025e1e34

Big following for SOHC/4 crowd, I have one on my CB550.

I run points, wasted spark, dual output coil. Takes 3 wires.

1. Tie the points wires together, run to coil.
2. Run switched wire to other side of coil.
3. Hang a condenser on the points side of coil.

Done. Complete spare tune-up can be carried for 25 bucks including plugs and you aren't stranded when your electronic ignition goes poof. And they do. Mine never misses a beat.

Yes well I switched after dikkin' with that damned worn out mechanical advance for the 87th time, the bike runs better than it ever has, and a "wasted" spark? I don't understand, were we saving them for something? If your alternator rotor is metering out at the right resistance you have more than enough juice to power and charge everything. Coils are pretty hardy and don't readily wear out very fast, especially the one's I have. The hot spark has smoothed out the low idle, allowed a lower throttle setting, burning fuel more efficiently and more completely and saving gas while the torque and acceleration is just nuts, the bike used to be a Vibrolux at 55 mph and now is smooth as silk. With the Mikuni 34mm round slides I believe it's a major improvement.Sorry!:bike:

You changed more than just your ignition, and I haven't had to mess with my mechanical advance more than twice on the bunch of 650's I've had around here. Pretty easy to keep those in good shape. I went to electronic ignition from a well known supplier here, and went back to points after 2 sudden and complete failures. I don't happen to care for that 80 miles from home. Carrying spares for that stuff is expensive as hell, too. And With my stock BS38's I don't have rough or erratic idle problems, either. The fact that you don't understand wasted spark is your problem, lots of bikes use it, including my electronic ignitioned GS Suzuki. Our new SUV is all electronic, and of course it's efficient as hell. But if it quits a state away from home, we are f*cked for a lot of time and money. I prefer the more reliable simplicity of something I can deal with without a truck and trailer and God knows how long until one of the boys can get to me to haul it in. The points got the damn thing here and still running all the way from the 70's, good enough.

Thats why i got rid of my points and atu too. My atu was badly worn. Bought a new one..it blew to a million pieces.....and left me stranded. The electronic is so much smoother and nicer running.

is there a sticky or how to for the tieing the points together. I got a 76 c model Im just building the bike and I know I have one bad coil and would like to know more about the single points system. thanks

If you do a google searchbox on "single points cam", numerous threads pop-up, including this one.

For the other option:
If you do a google searchbox on "dual points single coil", numerous other threads pop-up as well.

Back