? - what ignitions are out there? -

i have a 82' xs650 and I'm trying to install the PAMCO ignition kit ( part # 14-0902 ) that i bought from mikesxs.net. When i took off the cover to install the sensor plate, i noticed the broken piece that is in the picture. i have tried getting different resources together to help me figure out how to remove that broken piece. Also, Do i need to use the mechanical adapter that came with my kit, and if not can i just purchase a electronic advancer and hall effect ignition?

thanks,
jeff

Attachments

• broken.jpg
    broken.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 478
i have a 82' xs650 and I'm trying to install the PAMCO ignition kit ( part # 14-0902 ) that i bought from mikesxs.net. When i took off the cover to install the sensor plate, i noticed the broken piece that is in the picture. i have tried getting different resources together to help me figure out how to remove that broken piece. Also, Do i need to use the mechanical adapter that came with my kit, and if not can i just purchase a electronic advancer and hall effect ignition?

thanks,
jeff

Imo at this point you're better off purchasing the best ignition and charging system for the XS650 on the market. Returning the system you have now.
Poweradynamo

Its a CDI system that comes with everything needed, even instructions!

Posted via Mobile

gezzzz guys, didn't any one look at the pic...............

That broken piece is the end of the camshaft.

Don't know how any of the Ignition systems, (linked to), are mounted but if any part is mounted to the cam then forget it. The Factory TCI ignition has the pickup off the crank and this is probably the best way to go unless you replace the cam.

Mikes doesn't take returns so you will have to resell the Pamco on here, or again............replace the cam

Last edited:
Here is the theoretical advance curve/line as shown in the SH Supplement Manual:
TCI.jpg

When I followed it with a strobe light it seemed more of a single step jump but that may be because all tha action takes place over a smallish rpm range. But it works, quite well too!

Back