What is available

weaselbeak

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
So, I built an XS650 trike. It still has a standard rake, not good, and 4 over forks on a 19 inch wheel. I need as wide a tire as I can get between the forks. That kills my 19 inch, as they don't get very wide. What xs650 front wheel options are out there to drop to 16 or 18 inch wheels? I'm running dual disc brakes, but don't really care about that. Am I looking for a complete front end swap?

you can adp a 18" rim to your front hub,or swap a HD wide glide or fatboy front end.
hay any pic's of the trike I starting to build one and would like to see someone,else's
what rear end are you use'n I'm looking at a hd service car rear end or a cycle x rear end.

Don't use what I did. I used an older Corolla rear end because it was here. Turned out to be a bit of a pain. I'm not much for pictures, my stuff isn't all that. I just build with what I get my hands on.

407442701.jpg

I have well under a grand is this and would ride anywhere without worrying. It's a work in progress and still has issues, tho they are mostly cosmetic now. I do like my forward controls. I'll probably settle on a 4.00-19 tire for now, but the long term is for a wide girder and a real tire.

Toss the pinion, replace the ring gear with a sprocket. Cut access holes for the chain to enter and exit. Replace the bearings with sealed bearings. Spiders don't do squat unless you are in a turn, and then they don't do much, so they will last a very long time without the need for any lube. Corolla was bad because of bearing inner and outer race sizes being odd. Had to do machine work on the saddles they sit in. And the case shape made putting holes in it a chore. It works very well. I use a jackshaft to line up the engine drive with the rear, and tended to the gearing there. I spray a little chain lube in the differential now and then for the hell of it. Rear cover is a small block Chevy pulley.

407649051.jpg

407649049.jpg

Last edited:
As I have little to no faith in old stators, I hung a Nippondenso alternator under the seat. It is belted from the jackshaft and only charges while underway. I get a full charge at 35 MPH, but don't know how early it actually starts charging. A series 24 battery under the seat makes sure I don't have battery reserve issues. My longest trip so far is only 140 miles, I need a small windscreen and a backrest yet for me to be comfy. There is a drawbar for the small trailer I haven't had time to build yet.

Last edited:
Back