What is the average age of this group ?

51. But just a snot nose punk kid really... Still feel 29 in my brain. But my BODY says I'm 51 every time I have to pick up pipe or shovel asphalt! Guess I been riding and wrenching since I was maybe 13ish. Owned quite a few bikes, from dirt to a ZX10 Ninja but always drawn to the YOPPAH!

Last edited:
I thought i would revive and do some sums relating to this thread.
Thread first started in 2011. No posts after 2011. it was revived in 2015 again no posts after 2015.

Any members from 2011 who are still active today are 5 to 6 years older
Age of riders.
...........70.........60.......50.......40.......30......20......19/18
.............6.........22.......33.......26.......26......30.........4/.1

In this group the hard-tail craze was attracting a number of younger people

Age of riders.
..........70.........60.......50.......40.......30.......20.......19/18

hard-tail craze has tapered off. Less younger members.

To Date not taking into account all these members are between 12 months to 5 and 6 years older
Total....8-70yo
..........36-60yo
..........44-50yo
..........33-40yo
..........34-30yo
..........40-20yo
..........6-under 20

Average age of members is just over 43 years.

Last edited:
Intellectually = variable (depends on the topic as I figure that I've got the engineering knowledge of a guy my age, but the sense of humour of a 14 year old walking hormone overdose).
Physiologically = 137 ( bad knees - that's why Brit-bikes are out for me)
Temperamentally = 9 (can be cranky or silly as the mood strikes - just cannot stand bragging BS-laden @ssholes)
Chronologically = 58 (Yippeee - I can get the seniors' discount at Farron's butcher shop in just two more years!!!))

I've been riding for 41 years with a 25 year break from 1990-2015. I've had 6 bikes including the three I own now (two XS650s and my Honda ST1300 two-wheeled trackless locomotive).

57. First bike was a Yamaha 175 bought on my 18th birthday (first day I could legally own a bike without my folks permission).

With the exception of Fredintoon's and Royboy's group, and the teenagers, the age distribution is much flatter than I expected...

Yes that was a surprise to me as well. In the 2011 year the 10's 20's 30's = the 50's 60's 70's but the lower ages top out the older group. I think this could have been due to the revival of the Hard-tail set. Notice in 2015 the lower ages had dropped of and more of the older set. Is this an indication the Hard-tail XS650 is in decline or are they going to other sites.

Of course this is only bases on participants so the contribution has no real bases except as a guide.

In this group the hard-tail craze was attracting a number of younger people

Age of riders.
..........70.........60.......50.......40.......30.......20.......19/18

hard-tail craze has tapered off. Less younger members.

The younger guys don't have computers or laptops they use phones and facebook. The hardtail guys are thick on XS650 facebook groups and chopcult we ain't the friendliest site on the web for that crowd. Funny take on this; It's become standard practice on "it don't run right" threads to have to coax out that the bike is probably a bobber, hardtail. They turn to us old farts for advice when those "friendly" media fall down on expert help matters but don't want to get slammed for having a hardtail.

It is always risky to generalize but... after a career in industry, I teach engineering at a university and I've found that many teens and 20-somethings simply do not have any experience with tools or machinery (the proverbial farmers kids). These young folks are really bright and have they remarkable IT skills - but ask them to torque a bolt, adjust an idle mixture screw or even read an electrical schematic - and they're helpless. As Gary says above, they have to come to us - and they seem to be reluctant to even try to learn sometimes.

I blame the fact that most school systems have eliminated technical shop classes due to the cost and liability issues - but as a consequence, we are raising an entire generation of kids who can "think" - but often cannot "do". Who will be the carpenters, plumber and mechanics of tomorrow...? The young kids who do take up those trade will do verrry well in my view.

Pete

The younger guys don't have computers or laptops they use phones and facebook. The hardtail guys are thick on XS650 facebook groups and chopcult we ain't the friendliest site on the web for that crowd. Funny take on this; It's become standard practice on "it don't run right" threads to have to coax out that the bike is probably a bobber, hardtail. They turn to us old farts for advice when those "friendly" media fall down on expert help matters but don't want to get slammed for having a hardtail.
Your absolutely right, but there's too much hate on hard tails, shit I'm building one right now as a matter of fact, and it's a fun build so far, allows a lot of creativity. Now I'll be the first to say, it's a fuckin terrible way to start your motorcycling career, and not the way I began or would recommend, but I get it. It's good in the sense that it gets people interested in wrenching and riding, and the more of us out there the better. Many of them will never get those projects out of the garage, many will move on to the next "cool new thing", but some will learn, put in the work, and become the very people keeping something we all love alive. Just my .02

Personally i think this thread should be free from the hardtail/whatever discussion. My observation and statement was a conclusion i came to based on age numbers. The younger set, (not exclusively), are/were more inclined to build a hard tail and that age group appeared to drop off

I organize a couple of vintage rallies and attend others. It's all grey hair at these things with a few notable exceptions. I have come to the conclusion that the youngsters who own these bikes don't actually ride them. They may wrench on them and pose with them, but they only ride to the coffee house or some other hipster gathering. They are not interested in old dudes with their motorcycle enthusiast ways. I find it disappointing because I'd like to see it keep going. Who's going to keep Harley-Davidson going once our generation is gone?

Back