What is the average age of this group ?

I organize a couple of vintage rallies and attend others. It's all grey hair at these things with a few notable exceptions. I have come to the conclusion that the youngsters who own these bikes don't actually ride them. They may wrench on them and pose with them, but they only ride to the coffee house or some other hipster gathering. They are not interested in old dudes with their motorcycle enthusiast ways. I find it disappointing because I'd like to see it keep going. Who's going to keep Harley-Davidson going once our generation is gone?
The custom hardtail choppers are going the way of the dinosaur. There used to be lots at the annual Calgary Motorcycle Show, but for the last 2 or 3 years they have vanished. H-D has brought out smaller bikes, around 500cc, to try to capture the young people. H-D also has their electric bike development. H-D will survive, but will look different than today.

I am 52. First bike at 14, then a RD350 at 17. Then kids etc, before a Ducati Monster in 1995, my XS in 2010, a second RD350 in 2011 and another Ducati in 2012

44. First bike at 10, yama 80, then when i outgrew that, suzuki dr370(?). Then girls, life, at 32 , suzuki marauder to jump start credit, the the xs's at 35.

I'll be 57 this year, building a TC Bros hard tail just because I had the starting material and it was different. My interest only involves road bikes and travelling, I know, the 650 hard tail barely fits that niche. I was riding on the road before I was legally old enough to operate on the road. Over 100,000 miles on my GoldWing.

During the summer I attend rallies to see other bikes and trade riding and wrenching experiences with other riders. Last couple of years I see way less vintage and custom bikes at these rallies, V twins mostly, from every manufacturer. Meeting someone at these rallies that personally maintains their own bike is a rare thing now. Meeting someone who came to see the "bikes" is a rare thing too.

Scott

I'm 55 and been riding since I could hold a bike up. Im into vintage bikes, cafe's and hardtail bobbers. The vintage bike secne is big around my neck of the woods. I attend many vintage swapmeets and shows all year long. Really like talking with other folks who come to see the bikes.

63, tomorrow. First bike (in 1970) was a 1966 Yamaha Twin Jet (100cc). If you are going to fall off bikes, it's good to start on the small ones.....

Happy Birthday tomorrow Resto!!!

Love those pewter emblems you make - they are beautiful! :bow2:

Pete

Happy Birthday tomorrow Resto!!!

Love those pewter emblems you make - they are beautiful! :bow2:

Pete

Thanks Pete. Time flies when you're having fun.
Am working on some variations of the triangle design, adding wings. These are intended to for the side or clutch covers.
master#2b.JPG master#4.JPG master-1.JPG master-side cover.JPG

Aged 57
First bike at 17 - Puch R125 Scooter with the saddle seats (Green)
Second Bike at 19 - Yamaha RD250B (1975/Maroon)
Third Bike at 26 - Yamaha XS6501B (Orange/1971)

Note: All bikes sold off in 1988 when moved from NZ to UK.

Forth Bike at 56 - Present Yamaha SX650SH - Have wanted to own one since seeing them in1980.

Bikes still dreamed about: Norton Commando 850 Metallic Blue (1976) and Suzuki GT750 with twin front disks metallic blue (1976).

Paul, Norton 850 Commando, yes, I can totally understand that. I've been wondering lately if their weight and size would still match my childhood expectations of them. I like the heavy ones, well, kinda chubby.

Scott

Last edited:
....will ya still need me, will ya still feed me...when I'm 64...?

Happy birthday next week WJ!

I am 47. You can use a Fox air/oil Mountian Bike shock with 3-5 inches of travel depending on the model with fully adjustable air spring, compression and rebound rates on the seat.

Its funny how many people think those "Chopper Shox" that look like shocks think they are actually shocks. Those are just springs. Shocks have hydraulic compression and rebound (at lest the good ones).
I moved the mount point from the pic below so I have an additional 1.5 inches of ravel over the pic below.

And yes it works brilliantly. You DON'T get chucked when hitting a bump.

Uc6hl0.jpg

Back