What is this?

raceking46

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I think this is bad on my bike, but I don't know what it is. http://
xs650thing_zps11a86329.jpg

It appears to be the Safety Relay, also called the Headlight Relay on the 82/83 years. They had 5 wires on the 78SE, but in 79 and onward they changed to 6 wires. The early year such as 78 just had 1 relay cover, but changes to 2 relays on the later years.

It shouldn't be called a Starter Switch Relay, because the wiring diagrams have a
"starter switch", but that unit is the starter contactor, which is not what you show.

When you have an unknown component with wires, go to the Tech section wiring diagrams
and compare the wiring colour codes. The wiring colours will tell you what you have.

Sounds like you are uncertain of what your real problem is. Tell us a little more about what is happening or not happening with the bike, and someone will likely have seen the same problem before.

Isn't the plug different on all the components also?
So the parts plug shape could be compared to the shape in the schematics?

Adding to what's been said:
Call it whatever you want, but that is two separate relays. I may be mistaken, but I believe one is the starter safety relay, which prevents the starter button from energizing the starter motor when the bike is already running. The other is the headlight relay, which prevents the headlight from coming on until the engine starts. Not 100% sure about those, but I think that's right.
On earlier XS650s, there is a single metal "dome" housing a single relay, which would be the starter safety relay. Those bikes had an on/off switch for the headlights, so you could turn the lights off manually when you were starting, and thus you did not need the idiot headlight relay. But then safety regulations kicked in, and daytime headlights became the law, and the regulators didn't want there to be a way to turn your headlights off, but you still needed a way to start the bike without the added load of the headlight, thus the idiot headlight relay.
You don't need either relay, and they both can be bypassed. if you bypass the starter safety relay, just be sure you don't hit the start button when the bike is running. If you bypass the headlight relay, add a manual switch to turn the headlight off when you start the bike.

Adding to what's been said:
Call it whatever you want, but that is two separate relays. I may be mistaken, but I believe one is the starter safety relay, which prevents the starter button from energizing the starter motor when the bike is already running. The other is the headlight relay, which prevents the headlight from coming on until the engine starts. Not 100% sure about those, but I think that's right.
On earlier XS650s, there is a single metal "dome" housing a single relay, which would be the starter safety relay. Those bikes had an on/off switch for the headlights, so you could turn the lights off manually when you were starting, and thus you did not need the idiot headlight relay. But then safety regulations kicked in, and daytime headlights became the law, and the regulators didn't want there to be a way to turn your headlights off, but you still needed a way to start the bike without the added load of the headlight, thus the idiot headlight relay.
You don't need either relay, and they both can be bypassed. if you bypass the starter safety relay, just be sure you don't hit the start button when the bike is running. If you bypass the headlight relay, add a manual switch to turn the headlight off when you start the bike.

Thanks alot guys I ordered one on ebay but if that doesn't work I'll try to bypass them. My issue was no power at the start button and no headlight. I'm pretty sure I shorted out the relay when I bolted it up I didn't realize the back was touching the metal mount and then I put power to it.....oops. It showed up today and I'll give it a shot this weekend.

Thanks alot guys I ordered one on ebay but if that doesn't work I'll try to bypass them. My issue was no power at the start button and no headlight. I'm pretty sure I shorted out the relay when I bolted it up I didn't realize the back was touching the metal mount and then I put power to it.....oops. It showed up today and I'll give it a shot this weekend.

You may be spending money on parts you don't need. Its better and cheaper to do some trouble shooting before assuming a part is bad. The Safety Relay (1 relay or 2 relays) on these bikes seem to be quite reliable.

Now that you have given some clues, it may be simple to find the real cause. The Safety Relay turns on the headlight, only after the engine starts and the alternator sends an AC voltage down the yellow wire to the SR coil. If your charging system is not working, then the alternator voltage is too low, and the SR does not switch on the headlight. What is your battery voltage after you start the engine (wait a few minutes), and when you rev the engine to 3000 rpm?

If you still have the original 4 position (glass fuses) fuse panel, the headlight fuse/fuseholder may be open or high resistance; again no headlight. The old panels are garbage.

As for the starter PB no voltage, that is easy to test for. The starter relay (contactor) has 2 small wires on it. Red/white and blue/white. Turn on the key, select the kill switch to Run, and use your VOM to measure voltage at the red/white terminal. Should see battery + voltage at the red/white.

Something to note; the handlebars must be grounded to allow the starter PB to work.

Back