What is your XS worth?

Spades

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I know XS650's are popular bikes for good reason. They are economical, relatively easy to wrench on, and there is an endless amount of ways to build off a XS platform. They are pretty reliable once they are gone through and properly tuned. Electronic ignition and PMA kits have recently made our 30-40 year-old bikes even more maintenance free and reliable. On to my point, I search eBay and Craigslist daily just to kill time but rarely do I see any kickass XS's for sale. I see a lot of decent bikes but they never pull good money. I know that Triumph's are highly sought after, but I see some going on eBay for ridiculous money in my opinion. I've seen cool Triumphs go for $20k plus. Are there any XS's out there pulling more than $5,000?? What's the biggest dollar amount that you have personally seen an XS sell for?? I guess my question is.....is your bike worth what you have in it?? I know they are only worth what someone is willing to give you......and I know some will say priceless. I'm just curious to see what everyone's opinion is. It seems to me some of these bikes should be pulling more $$. My random thought for the day. :wtf:

Posted via Mobile

Back before housing bubble, financial crisis, and bail-out were the talk of the day I'd see really clean all original xs1/xs1b go for 6k on eBay. Never seen a custom XS get up there but I don't really keep an eye out for them. I think you can easily put 4k into a street tracker or other XS build and wind up with a bike that sells for 2k but that's the case in any part of motorcycling, a complete bike is never worth the sum of it's parts. Parting it out and selling the pieces one at a time is very common.

Dealers were importing US XS's here, (Aus), and asking up to $10,000, depending on what year and condition.

I understand what you guys are saying. I've been around bikes my entire life. My last Harley I built with custom paint, Ride Wright wheels 21/18, plus much more. I rode it for 2 years and still made $1500 on it. I built a shovelhead that I made money on. The only custom bike I really lost money on was a turbo Hayabusa that I built. I kinda knew that I wouldn't get my money out of it due to the big money I put in it. I also know that a lot of people part bikes out. If you have the time and patience it can be worth it. That's not a big secret. Ebay is full of guys doing that. I just think that while your building a bike you should consider resale. I haven't spared any expense on my current build because I'm building it how I want it. I guess I'm just surprised that some there aren't more XS's selling for more than $2500-3000.

Posted via Mobile

It has to be a labor of love. Even as an inveterate buyer and seller, if I count my time I seldom better 7/11 wages. But how do you calculate the value of a bike that got dragged up the ramp into my van, and left with a happy new owner on it? not to mention the thrill of the hunt.
And it's a function of rarity, XS650s are dirt common. That's why the only high fliers are the first year bikes and exotic customs.
Over time in the US I think 71's 72's 79 standards and 83 heritage specials will do well. Some of t he value has to do with color the 72 red 73 blue and the black 75 are all pleasing stock colors.
Saw an early Triumph speed triple with lots of factory options in decent condition for 3K on craigslist today I was tempted, I just checked and it's gone now. Saw a really nice low miles 77 recently, I was going to bite at 2K but the mufflers were aftermarket.
What I am seeing is a lot of old "simple" bikes are going up in value. The pool of DIY friendly bikes is shrinking daily. The new bikes are a different breed with OBDII ports and systems like ABS that are "dealer's propitiatory software only" serviceable. Many more are also experiencing what a few of us have known for decades. There is joy in hands on mechanical work. THe experimental aircraft and hotrod world has the same roots. Motorcycles are small enough and cheap enough to operate that they make an affordable hobby for many more "dirty hands" guys.

It has to be a labor of love. Even as an inveterate buyer and seller, if I count my time I seldom better 7/11 wages. But how do you calculate the value of a bike that got dragged up the ramp into my van, and left with a happy new owner on it? not to mention the thrill of the hunt.
And it's a function of rarity XS650s are dirt common. That's why the only high fliers are the first year bikes and exotic customs.
Over time in the US I think 71's 72's 79 standards and 83 heritage specials will do well. Some of t he value has to do with color the 72 red 73 blue and the black 75 are all pleasing stock colors.
Saw an early Triumph speed triple with lots of factory options in decent condition for 3K on craigslist today I was tempted, I just checked and it's gone now. Saw a really nice low miles 77 recently was going to bite at 2K but the mufflers were aftermarket.

GGG if you are getting 7/11 wages for your time you are WAY ahead of the game!

Hopefully I'll be able to sell my current project for a decent price, but other than that most of my bikes wouldn't sell for $8 because I specifically build them to fit my style and interpretation of what a motorcycle should be, and usually that's so far off the beaten path there's no customers for my taste.

What can ya do? But it makes me happy :)

Plus or minus all the money I've spent on wrong parts ordered, trips to Ace Hardware, and fixing things I should have done right the first time? Two totally different amounts!:laugh:

Not much, but if I sold it, it would have to be to someone oogling it on the street..

That being said..I just made a grand or a bit more on a 79 cb650 build I did! But how much did I learn? Wow, priceless. I learned more with that bike then anything else I have done in my life so far..

Its worth what the next guy wants to pay for it. Bottom line!
I was always in the building bike buisness to sell bikes not keep them and 3 years ago i sold kit bikes for $2500.00 full bikes up to $4500.00 never sold one more than that because and guys HIT ME HIT ME!!!! XS650 is not a Triumph or BSA Doesn't pull the money that they do. I have built some CB750 bikes and got close to $9,000.00. I liked the XS650 because parts where around and many people wanted them. THE LOOK/SOUND was cool. Now i think the market got soft and guys who have these jacked up the prices and now hard to find and the only ones that are out there are NO TITLE bikes unless you want to spend $1500.00 for a stocker . Bottom line lets break it down on a build if you are doing it from your home and lets shoot low.
BIKE $500.00
HARDTAIL $250.00
TANK $100.00
SEAT $100.00
LIGHTS $150.00
Tires $300.00
HANDLEBARS $100.00
OK now we didn't even get into LABOR / PAINT/ IGNITION / WIRING / WHEELS / BRAKES / and ALL THE LITTLE PARTS
IF YOU VALUE your labor at $50.00 a hour You are going to put at least 20 hours on build $1000.00 TOOLS that you may have to buy or have someone else do the work.
MAYBE $500.00
NOW Without going any futher you got $3000.00 in this bike.... IS it worth $4000.00
with No rebuilt motor no upgraded ignition No cluth upgrade
YOU GET MY POINT you are laying out alot of money and its still a garage build NO NAME BIKE and thats cool because the best builds come from the guy who built from his garage. But there are some guys who want and will pay for the name. Would you give a company like OCC $150,000.00 for a build I can't spend that on a build even if i tried. You are buying name.
So sit down figure out WHAT YOU ARE WORTH give yourself a dollar amount for labor
and add it up. Most bikes you see for sale that are not done are nice builds but guys ran out of money. If you build because you want the bike for yourself put the money in ride it and the price goes down over the years. There is a bike i built on Craigslist right now sold for $4000.00 rode for over a year and is up for sale for $3600.00 Not bad if he gets it $400.00 loss rode it for over a year even if he had to put $500.00 into it thats less than $100.00 a month in riding. If you built it keep it market soft now no money on any bikes. I just looked at a custom $40,000.00 Harley for a buddy thats selling for $12,000.00 BIG LOSS BUT its a 5 year old bike.

I let folks with money to burn take the big depreciation hit on bikes or cars. Someone once said, the worst thing you can do it pour your heart into something and expect a return on the amount of heart in it. Market is market. If it takes more than Wholesale money to get it to retail, take the hit or keep it for yourself.

This is a video of a guy with money to burn.

I personally get about the same rate of return on the money I spend on old motorcycles and table dancers.

But I get to ride the old motorcycles.

I don't usually get my time out of my projects some hit and some miss. My xs's are doing pretty well sold my 72 sportster and bought 3 xs's . I like the xs better. Cheaper lighter and not 100 dollars every time I turn around. Now it's 50 bucks every time!

In my 55 years of driving and riding, I spent most of my money on cars and bikes, the rest I just wasted---tim

The way I see it, they're worth pretty much whatever someone is willing to pay. I have no idea what I could get for mine if I ever decided to sell it, but I doubt I would ask much. That being said, I've had numerous guys come up to me at gas stations or wherever and the first thing out of their mouth is "How much?" I usually say $10,000 jokingly, but if one starts pulling out a big wad of cash then yes I would probably head home to get the title and a pen.

Back