What Makes You Feel Young?

well done Jet thats the best news I've heard in a while.
I really need to do the same but I keep buying cake arghhhh
Would like to know what your diet consists of to lose all that weight
I'll start mine ....ummmmmm ........Monday lol

Hi peanut,
too much food h\makes you fat, all you gotta do to lose weight is eat less.
That's the easy part.
Alas, if that if all you do is eat less your body keeps the fat and loses muscle tissue.
You should also take up regular exercise to force your body to lose fat instead,
And that ain't easy at all.

Hi peanut,
too much food h\makes you fat, all you gotta do to lose weight is eat less.
That's the easy part.
Alas, if that if all you do is eat less your body keeps the fat and loses muscle tissue.
You should also take up regular exercise to force your body to lose fat instead,
And that ain't easy at all.

wish that it was that simple Fred.:)
the calories in calories out theory has been well and truly debunked over the past 10 years or so. Calories are not equal as was once claimed . The body processes and uses the basic 3 macro nutrients in different ways ie 100 calories of Fat and 100 calories of carbohydrate and 100 calories of protein are treated entirely differently by the body.

Heres a simple fact that might surprise many. There isn't a single mineral or vitamin in any Carbohydrate that is essential to life ......not one !
Proteins and Fats contain 16 essential Minerals and 13 essential Vitamins which our bodies cannot make and we would die without consuming them in our diet .The minimum amount of carbohydrate required for life is 0 zero

There is a fascinating short video of a lecture given to the UK House of Commons Westminster by a leading Nutritionist Zoe Harcombe which was a real eye opener to me . Hope you find it interesting

wish that it was that simple Fred.:)
the calories in calories out theory has been well and truly debunked over the past 10 years or so. Calories are not equal as was once claimed . The body processes and uses the basic 3 macro nutrients in different ways ie 100 calories of Fat and 100 calories of carbohydrate and 100 calories of protein are treated entirely differently by the body.
Heres a simple fact that might surprise many. There isn't a single mineral or vitamin in any Carbohydrate that is essential to life ......not one !
Proteins and Fats contain 16 essential Minerals and 13 essential Vitamins which our bodies cannot make and we would die without consuming them in our diet .The minimum amount of carbohydrate required for life is 0 zero
There is a fascinating short video of a lecture given to the UK House of Commons Westminster by a leading Nutritionist Zoe Harcombe which was a real eye opener to me . Hope you find it interesting

Hi peanut,
I went from 250lbs to 190lbs in 18 months just by eating less.
That was mostly by holding back on French fries, gravy & desserts but WTF, it worked.
Alas that Xmas, new Years & family gatherings have since pudged me back to 205lbs.
Hopefully taking the Harcombe address' zero-carb advice will help me to get back to my
unachieved 180 lb target and fit into 38" waist pants for the first time in 40 years.
"Steak & salad please; hold the hashbrowns." I can do that.

Hi peanut,
I went from 250lbs to 190lbs in 18 months just by eating less.
That was mostly by holding back on French fries, gravy & desserts but WTF, it worked.
Alas that Xmas, new Years & family gatherings have since pudged me back to 205lbs.
Hopefully taking the Harcombe address' zero-carb advice will help me to get back to my
unachieved 180 lb target and fit into 38" waist pants for the first time in 40 years.
"Steak & salad please; hold the hashbrowns." I can do that.

we'll do it together Fred....;)

The trouble is always keeping the weight off which is why starvation diets can never be successful in the long term .I've yo-yo dieted for 30+ years

What experts are saying now is that if we starve ourselves, our bodies go into a survival mode and start to store lots of fat at every opportunity like bears do for the Winter.
Thats why the high Fat and Protein low Carbohydrate diet works so well because we can eat heartily and never feel hungry and the body uses our fat for all our energy needs which is how it should be. Its possible to have eggs bacon and sausages for breakfast with coffee and double cream and still lose weight ! imagine that !

I'm around 240 lbs and would like to lose 30lbs if I can . That should finally get the top button done up on all the 36" waist jeans that I have.:)

I reckon we should start a weight loss thread to keep us all motivated;)

...most calorie non-counters gain their weight back...
Says someone who prolly never had to diet...my weight has stayed off..its been 6 months since i reached my goal weight..I have lost 55 lbs (ad nauseum).. I limit my carbs to 20g per day..if i go over then i am no longer in Ketosis. Occaisionally i will go "off " the diet to eat more carbs..but it isnt a regular occurance. While there is a mild weight gain..its perfectly manageable...My health and well being depend on my weight staying off..and it will stay off...

Last edited:
Says someone who prolly never had to diet...my weight has stayed off..its been 6 months since i reached my goal weight..I have lost 55 lbs (ad nauseum).. I limit my carbs to 20g per day..if i go over then i am no longer in Ketosis. Occaisionally i will go "off " the diet to eat more carbs..but it isnt a regular occurance. While there is a mild weight gain..its perfectly manageable...My health and well being depend on my weight staying off..and it will stay off...

another proponent of the Keto diet/ lifestyle well done for losing that huge amount of weight. 20g a day is very very small virtually at the accidental ingestion level

I'm really surprised to find 2 people on this forum (3 including myself) that understand and follow a low carb high fat and protein diet. We've had 30 years of being told the exact opposite by our Governments and leading Health Councils and Nutritionists including Diabetic advisory clinics and Doctors.

We may be only three now but a revolution is coming ;)

another proponent of the Keto diet/ lifestyle well done for losing that huge amount of weight. 20g a day is very very small virtually at the accidental ingestion level

I'm really surprised to find 2 people on this forum (3 including myself) that understand and follow a low carb high fat and protein diet. We've had 30 years of being told the exact opposite by our Governments and leading Health Councils and Nutritionists including Diabetic advisory clinics and Doctors.

We're not alone by any means...Initially it was difficult..i had to literally throw away everything in my pantry..or give it away...LOL
It isnt that difficult now to limit myself to 20g/day but it did take a while to scale down..i have never scrutinized labels like i do now.
We have been taught a lie about nutrition..Carbohydrates are the results of processed foods,fast foods....sugary products and even DIET foods and sodas that are dangerously unhealthy..
Way back when..before the advent of processed foods..most people were naturally on a keto type diet..obesity was unheard of in the general population..
Its funny..in a sad way..but my waist keeps shrinking ..but shopping for smaller clothes its apparent that the general population is large and getting larger by the day..Given the selection of clothes for heavy/.fat..obebse people outnumbers the supply for healthy thin people like myself...

Last edited:
A deaf friend in California has lost over 127# on this diet..his transformation from well over 300# to where he is now is nothing short of miraculous..He was..Is my inspiration in doing the keto diet..And the fact that i was on the doorstep to Type 2 Diabetes..and my Dr. telling me to do something sooner rather than later...:cheers:

A deaf friend in California has lost over 127# on this diet..his transformation from well over 300# to where he is now is nothing short of miraculous..He was..Is my inspiration in doing the keto diet..And the fact that i was on the doorstep to Type 2 Diabetes..and my Dr. telling me to do something sooner rather than later...:cheers:

Thats what is needed to get us started sometimes isn't it ...something inspirational like your friends turnaround or a health scare like Diabetes.

I was inspired by Tom Watson the Deputy Leader of the Labour Party here in the UK.. He was at one point seriously over weight and ill with Diabetes and probably headed for a heart attack. He spoke about his life saving turnaround with his diet to the House of Commons at Westminster and what really struck me was all the symptoms that he quoted which completely disappeared after a few weeks on a low carb high Fat Protein diet. His weight loss was tremendous too.

My successful weight campaign, probably also sounds a bit faddy but you soon adapt, was alternate day fasting.

I called it the 5,5,38 diet - eat breakfast, 5 hours later lunch, 5 hours later dinner, and 38 hours later breakfast again. So on three days a week, I ate nothing.* I found it really easy because I could eat normal, full-sized meals. People worried for me, seemed to think I would starve if I didn't eat for a whole day. Wouldn't I get listless, weak and lacking energy? In fact the opposite was true - I soon realised that on my non-eating days I felt sharper and had at least as much energy. Just made sure I had plenty of fluids. And I stuck to a normal routine, so I would sit down at meal times, but only have a cup of coffee or whatever.

Apparently, when we eat, our bodies secrete leptin and go into digestion mode, storing excess as fat. When we don't eat, our bodies suppress leptin and secrete grehlin, the fat storage is reversed, the body naturally maintains a balance of blood sugar and you feel great. When we eat everyday - and mostly over eat - the cycle gets messed up, we gain weight and risk type 2 diabetes and other problems.

Over a few months, I lost the 1 1/2 stones I wanted to lose with no side effects apart from friends thinking I was barmy. But they already thought that anyway.

Worked for me.

*got into a routine of eating on Friday, Saturday, Monday and Wednesday and nothing the other days. And I never felt hungry - which is largely to do with the habit of eating at certain times. Once I got used to the regime, I enjoyed the contrast between feeling full after a meal and empty on fasting days. Really.

My successful weight campaign, probably also sounds a bit faddy but you soon adapt, was alternate day fasting.

I called it the 5,5,38 diet - eat breakfast, 5 hours later lunch, 5 hours later dinner, and 38 hours later breakfast again. So on three days a week, I ate nothing.* I found it really easy because I could eat normal, full-sized meals. People worried for me, seemed to think I would starve if I didn't eat for a whole day. Wouldn't I get listless, weak and lacking energy? In fact the opposite was true - I soon realised that on my non-eating days I felt sharper and had at least as much energy. Just made sure I had plenty of fluids. And I stuck to a normal routine, so I would sit down at meal times, but only have a cup of coffee or whatever.

Apparently, when we eat, our bodies secrete leptin and go into digestion mode, storing excess as fat. When we don't eat, our bodies suppress leptin and secrete grehlin, the fat storage is reversed, the body naturally maintains a balance of blood sugar and you feel great. When we eat everyday - and mostly over eat - the cycle gets messed up, we gain weight and risk type 2 diabetes and other problems.

Over a few months, I lost the 1 1/2 stones I wanted to lose with no side effects apart from friends thinking I was barmy. But they already thought that anyway.

Worked for me.

*got into a routine of eating on Friday, Saturday, Monday and Wednesday and nothing the other days. And I never felt hungry - which is largely to do with the habit of eating at certain times. Once I got used to the regime, I enjoyed the contrast between feeling full after a meal and empty on fasting days. Really.

That sounds very interesting Raymond, but I do have a question:

- what is a stone in either pounds or kilograms?

That term is not used anywhere in North America as far as I am aware.

Pete

Fascinating experiences...I too was medicalised and my Dr put me on metformin as well...after one week it was making me sick so i threw it away and started down my own road...That was the true impetus..Dependancy on some drug and not taking matters personally into my own hands..That got me motivated to find my own way...
I wont go back to where i was..i am quite happy to see how svelte my physique has become..i still am flabby but overall I am quite pleased at what i have obtained..i have regained control of my health..and thus my life has been renewed.
i quit sugar in its totality..i use powdered Stevia from a company known as PYure. Its made a huge difference..To beat Type 2 diabetes and a potential death from heart disease..yeah...its an awesome feeling..In no way shape or form ..am i going back to what i was...
Straight ahead.....

Last edited:

Worked for me.

That is an odd way to diet..I am glad it has worked for you. I dont think it would work for me or for most other people though....

Back