What Makes You Feel Young?

That sounds very interesting Raymond, but I do have a question:

- what is a stone in either pounds or kilograms?

That term is not used anywhere in North America as far as I am aware.

Sorry, Pete!

Force of habit - in the UK, we always think of body weight in stones and pounds, not pounds alone. When an American says he weighs 200 lb, that means zilch and I have to convert to stones and pounds. I think that's 14 st 4 lbs?

A stone is 14 lbs. So 1 1/2 stones would be 21 lbs. In fact I lost about 23 lbs. A little bit has gone back on but I know how to deal with that.

There I go again - do you use lb as abbreviation for pound in North America?

Continentals laugh or despair at our system of weights and measures, which is also used in the US (and Canada?) but with differences. 16 ounces to a pound, 14 pounds to a stone, eight stones to a hundredweight, twenty hundredweight to a ton. Which is therefore 2240 lbs. 12 inches to a foot, 3 feet to a yard, 1760 yards to a mile. Or 22 yards to a chain. Or 220 yards to a furlong. Conveniently, a furlong is one eighth of a mile.

But in Britain, we have 20 fluid oz to a pint, while the US uses 16. This makes the American gallon 20% smaller than the Imperial gallon.

Thread is What makes you feel young. But this discussion makes me sound old . . .

That sounds very interesting Raymond, but I do have a question:
- what is a stone in either pounds or kilograms?
That term is not used anywhere in North America as far as I am aware.
Pete
Hi Pete
14 lbs = 1 stone.
8 stones = 1 CWT (hundredweight)
20 CWT = 1 long Ton (2240 lbs)
Ponder on how a diverse measuring system keeps your mind sharp, eh?

the British measurement system is completely crazy and very confusing
Its a mixed metric and imperial system .
Back in 65 Britain supposedly went metric and in 71 the coinage also but you can buy things in both metric and imperial units.
Take petrol for example , its supplied at the pump in litres (metric ) but all the roads and distances and road signs in the UK are all in miles (imperial ) not kilometers .
When I went to college and University as a mature student in 1980 I had to completely learn the metric system from scratch as I had been taught the imperial system at school back in the 60s
I still have to think of my weight in stones and pounds and mileage in miles per gallon :confused: although all other measurements I have to use metric . craaaazzzzy

how does that work 2M ? do the participants adjust the distance of their position from the fulcrum in order to create a perfect balance ie a lever arm?

Hey, peanut. Yes, that would work, and it helps if everyone is similar in weight.

Until they release the bull.

Followed by panic and mayhem.

Survival needs to be a shared common mindset.

You could easily maim your opposing partner by jumping up, forcing him down into bull wrathland...

Last edited:
jesus ! there are bulls involved ?:eek: I had no idea.

Is the video not playing for you?

Here's some screenshots.

BullTeeterTotter01.jpg
BullTeeterTotter02.jpg
BullTeeterTotter03.jpg
BullTeeterTotter04.jpg

Haha, imagine if it was *spiders*!

Last edited:
Back