What oil do you use and why?

Brew

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Now that it's getting hot again I was wondering what everybody out there in XS Land uses during the summer months. I have about 75 miles on a fresh top end using rotella 15w40 and I'm thinking I want to switch to something heavier for the heat and to maybe quiet down the top end a little. thanks!

I use my xs650 I use valveoline 20/50 conventional motorcycle oil here in Florida
because it works well, price is right.
the ole xs650 has no filters just screens so the oil needs to be changes quite often.
On my newer bikes that have filters and the oil don't need to be changed so often I use synthetic motorcycle oil

Hi Brew,
Whatever brand of 4-cycle motorcycle-specific oil that's on at sale price.
Always 20W50 because if it's too cold for 20W50 it ain't warm enough to go riding.

Rotella 15w40 in both of my current bikes. Been using it in my bikes for years with no issues, so I just keep using it. It's relatively inexpensive, and available everywhere near me so it's "easy". I also change the oil in my bikes very frequently, so I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on expensive oil.

The Rotella 15/40 is a wet clutch approved oil. A lot of diesel powered eguipment uses the engine oil to cool the clutches. Like catipillar type machines.
Motorcycle oils are wet clutch approved.
Look on the back of the jug for the JASO rating. This means it has been tested and approved for wet clutches.
In cooler weather running the lighter 15w40 is ok. In warmer weather I prefer a heavier oil. 20w50.
If you read the repair manuals the early years speced a straight 30 weight, later on the speced a 20w40 oil. The 20w50 is a closer oil to that than the 15w40.
If you run an oil cooler then you can run the lighter oils fine.
Leo

I run O'Reilly's auto part brand oil in my stuff. 20W-50. I use it because it is made by Valvoline and cost about 1/3 less then the bottle with the name Valvoline on them

I use Morris classic 20/50 designed for older engines with guaze filters, has none of the additives of modern oils so never get clutch slip.

I usually pour in Valvoline 10-40 ATV oil, it still has ZDDP and is wet clutch approved. It's the only "walmart" oil that has ZDDP now that everything for the street has cats (bikes and diesels too). NAPA 20-50 racing also has ZDDP but probably not wet clutch approved. I do fine with 10-40 but I don't get stuck in city traffic either!

One local, within about 30 miles, WalMart carries Valvolene bike oils, regular dino oil and full synth oil.
The local Advanced auto's carry both oil too. Just a bit more money, but closer.
Leo

so I switched from rotella 15w40 to yamalube 20w50 over the weekend and noticed a lot less top end noise right away. thanks for the input everyone!

Yes, I tried the 15-40 and didn't like the increased topend clatter. I went back to the 20-50. I just use the Walmart brand and it works fine. You're dumping it every 1000 to 1500 miles anyway (or should be). The lighter car oils (20 and 30 wt.) are the ones to avoid. They have "energy conserving" anti-friction additives and that's what makes the clutch slip. 40 and 50 wts. don't get those additives so any cheap brand is usually fine. The guy at Walmart told me Mobil makes their oils.

Back