What preventative maintenance should I do next?

SinisterMatti

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my 1978 XS650 nearly 3 months ago, and since then I've been in a constant battle to catch up with maintenance. I feel like now I've caught up, and I'd like to get ahead. So far I've done fork seals, solid state voltage regulator/rectifier, front brake system clean/rebuild (with new brake line), petcock replacement, new air filters, carb clean/sync, tires, new fuel lines, all new cables, H4 headlight conversion with 45w/45w bulb and a new battery.

I've been thinking the next project I should attack is the rear brakes to make sure they aren't worn down, but what do you all think? What should I do to stay ahead of maintenance?

Replace/lube swingarm bushings? Repack wheel bearings. Lube tach and speedo cables.

If you are wanting to do the rear wheel 5twins posted an excellent(as usual) pictorial.
Somewhere. . . . .you might try searching "greasing rear brake cam" with 5twins as the author.

Have you checked the torque on the 8 big nuts on the head(all of the nuts and bolts really), the torque on the front drive sprocket, clean and pack the clutch worm gear, considered new tapered bearings for the steering?

Back