what quailifies as survivor vs resto?

I was say that a survivor would be a machine that was missing a ton of parts, and was brought back to life using parts from several bikes and many different model years, but still turns out pretty darn nice in the end!
IMG_2430.JPG

If it's in the breeze not rotting away some where or in the scrap yard then it has "survived" right? Now as far as the level of restoration to get to that point....

If your bike has new tires, sprockets, chain, front brake line maybe a different headlight is it still a survivor or does it move to the resto column?

hi WER,
a survivor is an old bike that still runs despite what it's owners have done to it.
A resto is an old bike that still runs because of what it's owners have done to it.

To me, a resto has been partly, or totally brought back to its former glory. A survivor is a barn find, or otherwise mostly (except the consumables) original. Original paint (or what's left of it), having very little done to it, besides what's necessary to keep running, showing the patina of all its years and miles....

Full disclosure; I am going to build up a 71 "survivor" one of these days. The parts will have come from a large number of bikes but everything you can see will be "used, original" pieces, anything hidden or consumable is fair game to be new or aftermarket sourced. LOL

O well, I guess all the components are "survivors"

In my opinion,a survivor bike is one that is in decent condition,starts and rolls,is unaltered,and has most of the detail bits still intact...things like fasteners,fuel line springs and breather hose springs still there, unaltered wiring....all making an easier resto than a basket case bike would.
A restored bike is when you have had it apart to the point that you question if you will ever see it resemble a motorcycle again.

I tend to agree with skip’s assessment- to me a “survivor” means everything’s original, unnolested, save for parts necessary to run. New tires, brake pads, lines, filters, are all consumable parts that have to be replaced with age or wear. I think of my bike as a survivor. I still have the breather hose springs and original air filter elements, original points ignition, as well as the original brake line with ‘77 stamped on them in yellow paint. (They’re not on the bike, but I could
Put them back on if I wanted to) The first 50 miles or so I rode my bike were with those original brake lines, and the original seat. A new paint job is “restoring” the paint in my opinion. Though I swapped bars and put on a new seat, those are simple bolt on cosmetic changes. I still have both the original bars and seat in the closet, and in about half an hour I could have the bike all original the way it came in 77, save the front brake line and the caliper rubber. That to me is important, and qualifies my bike to be sold as “an original survivor” if I were to sell it tomorrow. The fact that the paint is still pretty, with a few chips and some pitting on the side covers from the battery, makes it more valuable as an original than one that has been repainted and had a top end rebuild. I’m still riding around on the spirit of the 70’s, on an old dinosaur that has survived the decades and still has life in it. It can be reincarnated as a resto when it does finally start dying, but this one’s still living its first life, and it’s pure magic to be a part of that now in 2018. This thing is almost a decade older than me, and I still get to fly down the highways on rings and gaskets and tappets that were flying someone else down America’s highways years before I was even conceived. It makes me feel like I’m getting away with something, like cheating father time for a few years.

Tzimmern you are spot on....sometimes deciding to restore a survivor can be a tough decision...but no matter what...the main thing is that your bike keeps putting a smile on your face....just think of the stories all those original engine parts could tell,places they have been,near miss crashes,weather details....there is something to be said about preserving history...and all of us on this site who have the same love for these bikes are doing just that

Back