What tanks look good on the XS?

Gcraay

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So, I'm at a point in my build that is turning out to be more difficult than I thought. I am looking to choose my gas tank. I'm doing a lot of custom work so frame modifications for mounting are likely to be done. I already cut out the old tank mounts near the neck.
However there are such slight subtleties to the various tanks available I can't decide.

So what I'm asking is for anyone to post a pic of the non-stock tank they used. Especially if its easy to find and surprisingly cheap. I can strip it and clean it, so I don't need perfect.

sometimes the paint design does the tank more justice then the shape. I say this cause I'm looking for any suggestions.

I have a 68 sporty tank on my chop. I think the cole foster tank looks good on the 650 as well.

I used a Harley FXR tank which fit with a little effort... it holds over 4 gallons... I bought a repop dash from JP Cycles and put a volt meter in the spot where the gas gauge goes. I could add a photo later...

Attachments

• 2015-06-08 02.47.29-picsay.jpg
    2015-06-08 02.47.29-picsay.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 380
Last edited:
I suppose it depends on the look you're after. What's your build direction?

For cafe, I love the XS750 tank...pretty easy to find them, I think.

I'd love to know where. Fleabay has had some, but they go quick and cost a bunch. I almost had one, but it went for about $350.

Something between cafe and street tracker.

I thought of chappelle customs Rocket tank. I'd have to modify for the split, but it would look great.
The issue is, it's about $600 done, but $185 in pieces. Then the cost of the welding.

That's why I'm not sure if I can cover the cost.

I tried a few ended up using the stock, everyone does the sporty tanks or the wasal... I used this one for a mock up but the fit was off.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    298.2 KB · Views: 504
I ended up using the stock one but scuffing it up like a stainless steel appliance and clear coating it. Carful if you StuffIt too much it will like chrome! I made sure to use a rough scuff pad to keep the lines visible up close.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 343
This tank is from a 81 xs400

Attachments

• bob 1.jpg
    bob 1.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 305
  • bob 3.JPG
    bob 3.JPG
    298.6 KB · Views: 290
I like the Sportster peanut high tunnel, some like frisco. Google" xs650 sportster tank" to see not all are peanut somne are King tank which is too big for my tastes. Good luck!

Typical Peanut high tunnel, random google image.
noid-bike.JPG

Back