What the Carb?

I believe Simple Green has a product for aluminum. I assume that’s not what you’re using. So, it may come down to the strength of the solution and the duration of the exposure. I believe I’m looking at corrosion. I’ve used Simple Green in my ultrasonic cleaner without having that happen using maybe 25% or less solution.

It probably depends upon your equipment, but I expect you can change the media to soda, plastic, or walnut shells.

Simple green purple 5hrs
then evaporust 12hrs
water 5hrs
2% acidic acid(vinegar) in water for final 20mins

Zero sand!

the corrosion is aluminum hydroxide

cliff

Last edited:
I just use one of these for soda, much cheaper than that tank. Total loss, yes, but soda breaks down quickly so is only good for a few uses anyway. You can recoup some of it if you do the blasting in a big plastic tub .....

BlastGun.jpg

https://www.harborfreight.com/air-t...-portable-abrasive-blaster-gun-kit-59490.html

I agree, sandblasting is too agressive for carbs. Also, it looks like you have mismatched float bowls? Are the carbs mismatched as well? (one '76-'77, one '78-'79).

It’s light corrosion, there is an option for adding anticorrosion solution to the ultra sonic cleaner

I agree, sandblasting is too agressive for carbs. Also, it looks like you have mismatched float bowls? Are the carbs mismatched as well? (one '76-'77, one '78-'79).

They look the same to me. Only thing different is one is missing the little brass tube. Otherwise identical.

OK, I had a look at the pic of your banked carb set and they appear to be a matched set of '76-'77 carbs. Both have the external float bowl vents on their inner sides. But to be sure, you want to look at the other end, at the intake bells. A '76-'77 carb would have just two round holes on the bell, a '78-'79 carb would have four .....

LabeledCarbMouthsSmall.jpg

The external bowl vents were moved inside on the '78-'79 carbs. The float bowl overflow pipe and drain nipple for it on the bottom of the bowl were also eliminated. I guess Yamaha figured with the introduction of the vacuum petcocks in '78, the carbs would never over-fill and leak gas. That may have been true 40 years ago when the bikes were new but today, not so much, lol.

So, it looks like only your float bowls are mismatched. You have one of the later bowls with no overflow pipe and drain nipple. The other may be correct but you should check it. Two types of pilot jets were used in these carbs, and the bowls for each one differ slightly in the way the air is delivered to the jet. Your carb set should use the VM22/210 type pilot jet and have the bowl type for it .....

BS38 Bowl Types.jpg

All of your older, single carbs will have the BS30/96 pilots and bowls.

650 Pilot Jets.jpg

OK, I had a look at the pic of your banked carb set and they appear to be a matched set of '76-'77 carbs. Both have the external float bowl vents on their inner sides. But to be sure, you want to look at the other end, at the intake bells. A '76-'77 carb would have just two round holes on the bell, a '78-'79 carb would have four .....

View attachment 264478

The external bowl vents were moved inside on the '78-'79 carbs. The float bowl overflow pipe and drain nipple for it on the bottom of the bowl were also eliminated. I guess Yamaha figured with the introduction of the vacuum petcocks in '78, the carbs would never over-fill and leak gas. That may have been true 40 years ago when the bikes were new but today, not so much, lol.

So, it looks like only your float bowls are mismatched. You have one of the later bowls with no overflow pipe and drain nipple. The other may be correct but you should check it. Two types of pilot jets were used in these carbs, and the bowls for each one differ slightly in the way the air is delivered to the jet. Your carb set should use the VM22/210 type pilot jet and have the bowl type for it .....

View attachment 264490

All of your older, single carbs will have the BS30/96 pilots and bowls.

View attachment 264491
Holy smokes!,! Thanks for all that. Gonna have to take a look this week. But if I’m able to decipher all that, I should be looking for a vm22/210 style float bowl. On it!

Gonna need to sort out jets too

Back