What the fork?

willis

xsive compulsive disorder
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Today I was taking advantage of some warmer weather to move some things out to the winter storage shed before the snow sets in to give me more room to work in my shop over the winter. While moving the bikes around, I happened to catch a glimpse of something unusual on my fork lowers. Upon further inspection, I found the lip where the dust seal rides was broken off. WHAT THE FORK!!! It must have been this way when I bought the bike, as I only recently pulled the boots up but didn’t notice it. I don’t think it’s repairable, but do you guys think it is rideable as is? To my knowledge the seals dont leak. I have plans over the winter to tear the front end apart anyway to install gaitors. Should I be looking for a new lower since ill have it apart anyway. I think I already know the answer, but what would you do?
65D721A6-134E-45BA-B6DE-B563A6B0756E.jpeg

I think I already know the answer, but what would you do?
Just me bein' anal... I'd replace it. Knowing that's there would keep me up at night... :rolleyes:

Having said all that, it ain't leaking and the gaiter will cover it... just delete this thread and never mention it again. ;)

From the other divot marks present, it seems someone replaced fork seals without protecting the top of the lower while prying. You'll probably be fine running that lower but I would be on the hunt for a reasonably priced replacement. Not to rush you or anything, but an eBay search turned up these, very reasonable compared to the other listings .....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-Yamah...449756?hash=item5226edfedc:g:BwAAAOSwYZJdsxRU

I've bought from this seller quite a bit in the past and they're good.

That’s a very good price on those lowers. I think I paid $100 for a complete set of forks for my XS2, just to get one lower leg! It turned out to be a good score, as I have wound up using some of the internal parts .

Looking at fork seal prices, and they are all over the place. Partzilla has them at $30 each for NOS. I've seen some ALL BALLS seals a little better prices. Not even gonna consider Mike's seals. I think I've found a set of OEM Yammy's for $20 delivered that i am about to jump on. Anyone have a preference of good seals or ones to stay away from?

I've used the 35mm fork seals from Mikes and never had any issues with them. They claim their 34mm ones are made in Japan and from the original supplier, so I would think they'd be OK too. Unless their description is a lie, which it sometimes is, lol.

Today I was taking advantage of some warmer weather to move some things out to the winter storage shed before the snow sets in to give me more room to work in my shop over the winter. While moving the bikes around, I happened to catch a glimpse of something unusual on my fork lowers. Upon further inspection, I found the lip where the dust seal rides was broken off. WHAT THE FORK!!! It must have been this way when I bought the bike, as I only recently pulled the boots up but didn’t notice it. I don’t think it’s repairable, but do you guys think it is rideable as is? To my knowledge the seals dont leak. I have plans over the winter to tear the front end apart anyway to install gaitors. Should I be looking for a new lower since ill have it apart anyway. I think I already know the answer, but what would you do?
View attachment 154240

Hi Willis:

Fatigue and fracture are sort of "my thang" and so while replacing that busted slider would be best, at a minimum I would round off the bottom of that broken section and make it as smooth as possible to prevent a crack from starting and growing down in there where the sharp corners are.

Pete

I bit the bullet and bought the set 5T listed on Ebay from MisterMonkeyClaw. I'm a bit like Jim, and just knowing it was there would always be on my mind. I also grabbed the set of OEM seals for a 20 spot. I already had plans to tear it apart this winter anyhow to install the gaitors, so like I said, i really knew the answer before I even posted. So for $75 bucks i will sleep better knowing it was taken care of. It will just take a bit more work removing the seals and polishing the leg.

Back