WHAT TIME IS IT?!? (Clock build?)

G_YamTech_314

XS650 Junkie
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Who else thinks this antique B+S pull starter cover would make a bad ass petina wall clock??

Tore the motor down forever ago, and kept this side cover because it's GOTTA be old... I was going to actually try and rebuild the motor, and restore it, but I couldn't get the Pistons free, the cases were cast iron, and wouldn't come apart unless you could free the Pistons to pull it all apart. It was a flat head single cyl. With a cool valve set up. I miss it, and regret not spending more time on it, but you live and learn!

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20190918-215844_Facebook.jpg
    SmartSelect_20190918-215844_Facebook.jpg
    712 KB · Views: 112
  • 20190918_215330.jpg
    20190918_215330.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 116
  • 20190918_215327.jpg
    20190918_215327.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 108
  • 20190918_215321.jpg
    20190918_215321.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 90
  • 20190918_215317.jpg
    20190918_215317.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 92
Hobby stores have battery-powered clock works kits, with hands and everything. And there's 12 holes in the front of the cowl. Maybe chrome cap-head Allen bolts for 12-3-6-9, and black ones for the rest of the numbers? Potential is only limited by imagination! :cheers:

I have most parts of a '50s 2 1/2 hp Lauson engine. The cowl is one part I don't have! Long story behind this for another time.

Hobby stores have battery-powered clock works kits, with hands and everything. And there's 12 holes in the front of the cowl. Maybe chrome cap-head Allen bolts for 12-3-6-9, and black ones for the rest of the numbers? Potential is only limited by imagination! :cheers:

If interested in a clock movement do a search on Ebay for Clock movement. I had a clock I was given as a retirement present from the local Cat dealer, nothing fancy just a plastic battery powered wall clock. It was handy to hang on wall out in garage. Well after about four years it died. Just as a joke I did a search on Ebay and was surprised at the prices for some way under $1.00???? I figured that was too good a price to believe and kept scrolling down till I found a real expensive one. Forget the exact price but with shipping and tax from Hong Kong it was $1.71 And it actually works!

Who else thinks this antique B+S pull starter cover would make a bad ass petina wall clock??
Tore the motor down forever ago, and kept this side cover because it's GOTTA be old... I was going to actually try and rebuild the motor, and restore it, but I couldn't get the Pistons free, the cases were cast iron, and wouldn't come apart unless you could free the Pistons to pull it all apart. It was a flat head single cyl. With a cool valve set up. I miss it, and regret not spending more time on it, but you live and learn!

Hi YamTech,
what would have worked to shift that piston was to soak the unit with penetrating oil for a week, making sure both valves were closed, putting the head back on and pumping her full of grease through an adapter threaded into the spark plug hole.
Note that even a bargain brand side-lever grease gun puts out 1,000+ psi.
Too late for that so yeah, why not a wall clock? Mount it t'other way up so a pendulum can swing in the head space.

Last edited:
Hi YamTech,
what would have worked to shift that piston was to soak the unit with penetrating oil for a week, making sure both valves were closed, putting the head back on and pumping her full of grease through an adapter threaded into the spark plug hole.
Note that even a bargain brand side-lever grease gun puts out 1,000+ psi.
Too late for that so yeah, why not a wall clock? Mount it t'other way up so a pendulum can swing in the head space.
great idea... I guess ya live and learn. im sure hes got another motor lying around. ill see if I can start a separate thread on that!

Back