What to do with a 1972

smking0656

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 1972 XS650 and I need some help deciding what to do with it. I was looking for one of these mostly for the engine just because they look really cool and I’ve read they are easy to work on and run good. I’m 63 years old and have worked on all kinds of cars and motorcycles doing simple things. I got this as a winter project to start building my own bike. I don’t know much about the different models and years what’s good and what’s not. I did want electric start because I have a knee problem. Didn’t know till after I got this one it was the first year for electric start.

I got it for a low price without a title so I thought it was going to be mostly junk with a few good parts. When I picked it up the guy said he got it from an estate sale from the original owners family 4 years ago with 8400 miles on it. It has a 1984 inspection sticker on it. He got it running when he got it but that was it and just let it sit. He also made a poor attempt at painting it including the engine. It looks all original including the tires. The only thing missing is the seat. Its dirty and has rust here and there and hasn't had much attention. I have not tried starting it yet.

I like the scrambler and street tracker look but don’t want to modify this bike if its getting hard to find original ones.

So here are the options I came up with, let me know what you think.
  1. Sell it as is. I'm not looking to make money on it.
  2. Get a title (if I can) clean it up and get it running then sell it.
  3. Do what I want with it and not be concerned with the originality of it.

Thanks,
Steve

Attachments

• 70357320_10215181723764092_1531152795892187136_n.jpg
    70357320_10215181723764092_1531152795892187136_n.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 249
I'll vote #2
It's sitting on the cusp of restore resto mod vs custom. Lot of stock value depends on how much rust corrosion there is, hard to tell in that pic (any pic)
Mention where in the US you are and you might get some offers....
If you are going custom, looking to warm up a motor, the later 1974 up 447 motors are better suited/supported for hot rodding. 74 up frames are stronger (heavier too) 78 up forks, brakes considered better.

I like the scrambler and street tracker look but don’t want to modify this bike if its getting hard to find original ones.
XS2's are getting harder and harder to find. Put up better quality ( ;) ) and detailed pics. Lets figure out if it's doable within reason.
Oh... and welcome to the forum. This place is where you need to be for expert advice on the XS's. :D

image.jpeg image.jpeg
Picked this one up in 2012, 7K on the odo, last registered in '84 too......a mess, but it's a Standard and that's what I wanted. Any and all changes that were done since then are easily reversible and would be done tomorrow if'n I awoke to a nice tank and set of tins in the red version for the year, setting on my porch........

Yeah, title and running, heck, ya might like it and keep it.
Welcome aboard!

I have a few xs650s and my 72 is my favorite.. I actually like the older brake calipers and if you put the dual setup(left fork leg has to have mounts) then the brakes are more than adequate, and theres just something about the early bikes that has an appeal, they seemed to become "more" as the years went by, and I think less is actually more, they are very fun to work on and very affordable compared to some other bikes,so whatever you decide to do with it (my vote is #3) you will enjoy the time spent on/with it. and welcome

Thanks for all the welcomes. I added my hometown to my profile. I will post more pictures. I guess I'll start with checking the bike over and doing some cleaning, then try starting it. These things need to be done either way I go with it. I'll also make some calls about getting the title. I should have posted here before I made my purchase. I know for any project to be a success you have to first do your research.

There is a bike in the gallery posted by Dune19670 that has the look I'm going for.

The biggest issue is Pennsylvania. That may be the toughest one with a title situation. Check with insurance rep and see if you can get a bonded title in your state.

I contacted the DMV and this is what was said.
"The last titled/registered owner would need to apply for a duplicate title; a title should have been provided at the time of the estate sale for transfer of ownership.
If the last registered owner is unable to apply for a duplicate title, you would need to apply for a court order to establish proof of ownership."

I'm not giving up yet. I think its nuts that they don't have an application process for this and that you have to go in front of a judge. What a waste of tax payers money. They think these old lost bikes should go to the junk yard.

Here are some additional pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0383.jpg
    IMG_0383.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_0382.jpg
    IMG_0382.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_0378.jpg
    IMG_0378.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_0379.jpg
    IMG_0379.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_0380.jpg
    IMG_0380.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_0381.jpg
    IMG_0381.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_0377.jpg
    IMG_0377.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_0376.jpg
    IMG_0376.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_0375.jpg
    IMG_0375.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 196
It doesn't seam like its worth putting the time and money into this bike without a title. The Pennsylvania title process is just to difficult and costly. If this was a rare motorcycle it might be worth it but I can get one running with a title for about $1000. So looks like I'll be selling it as is.

It doesn't seam like its worth putting the time and money into this bike without a title. The Pennsylvania title process is just to difficult and costly. If this was a rare motorcycle it might be worth it but I can get one running with a title for about $1000. So looks like I'll be selling it as is.
That bike has value to someone in a state like Georgia, that doesn't require a title on something that old. Several others are the same, or allow a bonded title. From everything I've ever heard, Pennsylvania is the worst. No way to scheme around it.

Is there a thread that lists what's not interchangeable between years? I'm might be able to find a frame with a title from a different year or keep some of my parts for another bike.

If you can scrounge up a title, weld over the old mumbers, grind the weld smooth and punch the correct number on the neck. Easy to do. Can even be done to the motor.

Don't ask me how I know this.... :whistle: :rolleyes:

1.jpg

I like these ways of thinking out of the box. The only time the vin would be checked is during state inspection and I don't get my bikes inspected. The problem is if I get pulled over the police officer might check the vin then I'm screwed.

I had title issues as well. I used a bike dealer to square things up. $100 dollars for a clean clear title. As far as restorable? Absolutely. Figure out all parts prices. Paint. Re-chrome. Engine build. When you get that # go ahead and double it. At least. I don’t try to add up my stuff anymore. It would just make me wanna cry.:banghead: But it really is worth it. It’s my therapy.

Back