What to do with a 1972

Did you hold the throttle wide open while running the compression test? You should, that let's the air in. Some say you should prop the slides wide open or remove the carbs completely, but I've always been able to get satisfactory result with just holding the throttle open.

Yes, replace those plug caps. The usual replacement of choice is an NGK 5K ohm resistor cap, the LB05. I prefer the "F" version over the "E" one, I think it grips the plug better .....

CfYZoPi.jpg

If you have points and plan to keep them, you actually don't need a resistor cap, you can go with a non-resistor type if you like. NGK makes a nice one of those as well .....

yg3iLp9.jpg

Did you hold the throttle wide open while running the compression test? You should, that let's the air in. Some say you should prop the slides wide open or remove the carbs completely, but I've always been able to get satisfactory result with just holding the throttle open.

Yes, replace those plug caps. The usual replacement of choice is an NGK 5K ohm resistor cap, the LB05. I prefer the "F" version over the "E" one, I think it grips the plug better .....

If you have points and plan to keep them, you actually don't need a resistor cap, you can go with a non-resistor type if you like. NGK makes a nice one of those as well .....
I did hold the throttle wide open. Going to stay with points for now. When I look up the NGK LZFH it says resistor cap. Is this the correct one?

NGK LZFH Resistor Spark Plug Cap

That is the correct NGK part number so it shouldn't be a resistor cap. Read the specs here. It says "Non-Resistor" .....

https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=20083

They are smaller and more compact that the LB05. I ran them when I still had points. It's possible they might give you a bit stronger spark because of their zero resistance rating. Hey, the wimpy stock coils can use all the help they can get, lol .....

BuyQCH7.jpg

These old bikes can fool you. When I went to go look at the bike I bought, it too had been sitting for more than thirty years in a dry climate, it also had very low miles. It was running when I first saw it.

Later I tore the engine down for a rebuild and this is what the jugs looked like! :yikes:
View attachment 152607 View attachment 152608
A can of engine restore might of filled in those liner creators:D

I forgot to mention the lien companys fee, its 88 dollars for every thousand dollars "intrest" that means I I buy a bike and put 2000 dollars in it, that would be my "intrest", but I allways just say 989.00 so I only pay 88 dollars, its a long process that I belive a citizen can do without the lean companys services, he fills out a single piece of paper that he sends to the dmv, and then he puts an add in the newspaper where the bike was last titled, sometimes there is no record but he still figures out something, anyways the add in the classifieds says this bike VIN xxxxxxxx has a lien on it and the intrest is 989.00 then when no one answers the add in 60 days the state sends me the "poseserary note" , the kicker is someone could say its there bike and they can choose to pay the 989.00 and get take the bike from me, I had one 64 triumph that I had about 6000 dollars into and I was kinda sweating when I waited the 60 days because again I said my interest was only 989.00 so I only had to pay the 88 dollars to the lien company, I wonder how it works in your state when a shop ends up with a car or bike that someone "abandoned" due to an un paid bill, there must be something like a lien service there. maybe ask around at some shops

I forgot to mention the lien companys fee, its 88 dollars for every thousand dollars "intrest" that means I I buy a bike and put 2000 dollars in it, that would be my "intrest", but I allways just say 989.00 so I only pay 88 dollars, its a long process that I belive a citizen can do without the lean companys services, he fills out a single piece of paper that he sends to the dmv, and then he puts an add in the newspaper where the bike was last titled, sometimes there is no record but he still figures out something, anyways the add in the classifieds says this bike VIN xxxxxxxx has a lien on it and the intrest is 989.00 then when no one answers the add in 60 days the state sends me the "poseserary note" , the kicker is someone could say its there bike and they can choose to pay the 989.00 and get take the bike from me, I had one 64 triumph that I had about 6000 dollars into and I was kinda sweating when I waited the 60 days because again I said my interest was only 989.00 so I only had to pay the 88 dollars to the lien company, I wonder how it works in your state when a shop ends up with a car or bike that someone "abandoned" due to an un paid bill, there must be something like a lien service there. maybe ask around at some shops

Once again, I'm just amazed at the absolute pain in the A$$ you Americans seem to enjoy over title. It ain't never a problem here in the United Kingdom. Perhaps because we only have one DVLA for everything & everybody?

Mechanics lien here. I just picked up a Honda Reflex Trials bike with a bill of sale from a storage company. Should be fun to title....

Once again, I'm just amazed at the absolute pain in the A$$ you Americans seem to enjoy over title. It ain't never a problem here in the United Kingdom. Perhaps because we only have one DVLA for everything & everybody?
50 states, 50 sets of rules!
Smking, at least it appears Pennsylvania has given you a path. So, see the judge. You won't need a lawyer and I can not for the life of me come up with any reason a judge would deny you under the circumstances. A PITA for sure. I say, just do it.
I brought to Mississippi, from Georgia, four bikes no titles. I don't need title in Georgia. I'm about to find out what kind of hassle this will be in Mississippi.

50 states, 50 sets of rules!
Smking, at least it appears Pennsylvania has given you a path. So, see the judge. You won't need a lawyer and I can not for the life of me come up with any reason a judge would deny you under the circumstances. A PITA for sure. I say, just do it.
I brought to Mississippi, from Georgia, four bikes no titles. I don't need title in Georgia. I'm about to find out what kind of hassle this will be in Mississippi.
Problem is the DMV said they have an owner listed for the bike and they can't tell me who it is or if its listed as stolen. If its stolen (I don't think it is) a judge could ask why I purchased stolen property. Not something I want to take a chance on. I'm going to go to a title company to see if they can help.

Problem is the DMV said they have an owner listed for the bike and they can't tell me who it is or if its listed as stolen. If its stolen (I don't think it is) a judge could ask why I purchased stolen property. Not something I want to take a chance on. I'm going to go to a title company to see if they can help.
I know the difference between Georgia and Pennsylvania is huge. What I did was have the local deputy come to my house. He called in all the VINs on all my junk. None were reported as stolen or otherwise missing. Now that I have all this junk in Mississippi, at least, I know it isn't stolen. I may go look into what hoops I have to jump through later today.
Maybe your local sheriff would be willing to send someone to check it out. If it's stolen, they'll likely confiscate it on the spot. But, if that's the case, you don't want it anyway. If it's OK, then that monkey is off your back. JAT.

same rules here in Canada. If it wasnt registered ever, no problem! Your bike would be a parts bike here nothing can be done if you cannot get in touch with the guy still listed on its title. JC

possibly someone has a title for sale, and then you could use the numbers like recommended earlier in this thread.. I know if I could buy a title I would , I have a few xs frames with no tittle and the "numbers game" seems easier than a lien service that takes 60 days.

possibly someone has a title for sale, and then you could use the numbers like recommended earlier in this thread.. I know if I could buy a title I would , I have a few xs frames with no tittle and the "numbers game" seems easier than a lien service that takes 60 days.
Altering manufacturers serial numbers comes with jail time if caught, be careful.

wrench johns... if someone was to purches a head tube and title , im not sure how that is considered "Altering" serial numbers, … (after reading back thru the thread I see.. I should have been specific , I was referring to using a head tube , not faking the vin,

wrench johns... if someone was to purches a head tube and title , im not sure how that is considered "Altering" serial numbers, … (after reading back thru the thread I see.. I should have been specific , I was referring to using a head tube , not faking the vin,
I'm not the one that needs convincing. Don't forget, Big Brother IS watching!
john

im not speaking of a stolen bike or altering numbers on a head tube, to be specific Im talking about building a bike with a clean title and its head tube, purchased legally, if Im not seeing the crime in that , please let me know as I don't want to be doing anything in a grey area, when I refered to the "numbers game" I was referring to using a frames headtube and title to build a bike, when I buy a bike and build a custom frame sometimes the front half of the frame is all that really left, and as for big brother I know about him more than most ,but again am I missing something??

Back