What to do with a 1972

I was wondering if it would be possible to get a title in another State that had more relaxed rules by registering the bike in someone elses name and address . A friend or Family member perhaps. Then all you'd have to do is 'purchase' the bike and re-register it in your name. Simples .....:)

im not speaking of a stolen bike or altering numbers on a head tube, to be specific Im talking about building a bike with a clean title and its head tube, purchased legally, if Im not seeing the crime in that , please let me know as I don't want to be doing anything in a grey area, when I refered to the "numbers game" I was referring to using a frames headtube and title to build a bike, when I buy a bike and build a custom frame sometimes the front half of the frame is all that really left, and as for big brother I know about him more than most ,but again am I missing something??
I think but not sure the head tube is what is titled and you can do what you want to the rest of the frame.

I was wondering if it would be possible to get a title in another State that had more relaxed rules by registering the bike in someone elses name and address . A friend or Family member perhaps. Then all you'd have to do is 'purchase' the bike and re-register it in your name. Simples .....:)
I had the same idea but I don't know anyone that would do this.

I had the same idea but I don't know anyone that would do this.

well there are lots of members on this forum .......perhaps someone might volunteer if you ask . :) A motorcycle shop might also do it for a fee .

smking,
From what I've heard, Vermont is the place to go. You go to their DMV with a bill of sale, an affidavit from yourself saying (something on the order of...) "it's my motorcycle, I've had it for a long time, and as far as I know, it's not stolen...", and a "rubbing" of the VIN (from the steering neck).
They will do the search, based on the VIN, and eventually issue a registration and license plate. They don't have a title. But, when you go to your DMV, and transfer an "out-of-state" vehicle (with reg. and plate), you'd get your reg., plate, and they issue you a title, in your state. PIA for sure, but if you want to be legit (who doesn't?), you gotta do it... :shrug:

I know the difference between Georgia and Pennsylvania is huge. What I did was have the local deputy come to my house. He called in all the VINs on all my junk. None were reported as stolen or otherwise missing. Now that I have all this junk in Mississippi, at least, I know it isn't stolen. I may go look into what hoops I have to jump through later today.
Maybe your local sheriff would be willing to send someone to check it out. If it's stolen, they'll likely confiscate it on the spot. But, if that's the case, you don't want it anyway. If it's OK, then that monkey is off your back. JAT.
Marty..since your wife is still in GA? then i would just leave your bikes registered in GA..sounds like a clusterfuck any way you go about it...Or if not the wife than some close friend who wouldnt mind helping you out...?

Marty..since your wife is still in GA? then i would just leave your bikes registered in GA..sounds like a clusterfuck any way you go about it...Or if not the wife than some close friend who wouldnt mind helping you out...?
For the time being, I'm not a legal resident of Georgia. My wife is with me. All of my crap is in Mississippi.

Another PITA with Pennsylvania is state safety inspection every year. I was in a motorcycle shop the other day and said to the owner I have a bike I want to customize what’s needed for inspection? He said;
Fenders need to be the same size or bigger than what came on it. So no cut down fenders.
If it came with turn signals they have to be on it and the same size or bigger than stock.
Front and rear lights need to be the same size or bigger than stock.
Needs to have a chain guard and rear view mirror.
If you alter the frame Chopped or bobbed it needs to undergo an extensive inspection where they look at everything.

I grew up in a city five miles from the PA border in NY. I worked at a garage all through high school. I learned early what a PITA PA was/is.

Wow. I guess it's true that size matters. :laugh: I was told by my local mechanic (here, in the Republik of New York State) it'll pass if it has all the features it had when it was manufactured. Here's one instance where size doesn't matter. Head & tail lights, turn signals, horn, speedometer, and a driver's side (left side) mirror, and we should be good to go. Customized frame? It's your ass... :shrug:

I contacted the DMV and this is what was said.
"The last titled/registered owner would need to apply for a duplicate title; a title should have been provided at the time of the estate sale for transfer of ownership.
If the last registered owner is unable to apply for a duplicate title, you would need to apply for a court order to establish proof of ownership."

I'm not giving up yet. I think its nuts that they don't have an application process for this and that you have to go in front of a judge. What a waste of tax payers money. They think these old lost bikes should go to the junk yard.

Here are some additional pictures.

G'day,

To me if the deceased, i.e. the previous owner cannot provide the paperwork ...........is this not freaking obvious as to why not???

If you can scrounge up a title, weld over the old mumbers, grind the weld smooth and punch the correct number on the neck. Easy to do. Can even be done to the motor.

Don't ask me how I know this.... :whistle: :rolleyes:

View attachment 152489

G'day my brother Jim,

I once had an airline operator which I worked for who wanted me to swap the indestructible ID plate from one acft to another................my answer was "you are insane", (in OZ the Civil Aviation Authority") upon finding this out would close you down and I would lose my Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineers License.

GD

I like these ways of thinking out of the box. The only time the vin would be checked is during state inspection and I don't get my bikes inspected. The problem is if I get pulled over the police officer might check the vin then I'm screwed.

I doubt the police officer would check, they really do not have the time or effort for this.

GeeDub

I contacted the DMV and this is what was said.
"The last titled/registered owner would need to apply for a duplicate title; a title should have been provided at the time of the estate sale for transfer of ownership.
If the last registered owner is unable to apply for a duplicate title, you would need to apply for a court order to establish proof of ownership."

I'm not giving up yet. I think its nuts that they don't have an application process for this and that you have to go in front of a judge. What a waste of tax payers money. They think these old lost bikes should go to the junk yard.

Here are some additional pictures.
Keep it and keep going on it. I purchased a 1974 chocolate brown original a year ago. Its completely apart now. Tank had to be coated because of rust. I'm trying to not touch the paint. Trying to just clean it up. Frame was rusty so sanded it down and repainted it gloss black like original.
Pick up the electronic spark kit. they are a great product.
Best regards Dino

Back