What tools do you carry on your bike?

I am Carbon

shade tree mechanic
Reaction score
There is not much room the the tool holder. And I have to admit I carry no tools. So I think maybe I should.. I think 10mm open/box end wrench, 12mm open/box end wrench, screw driver/multibits, pliers, metric allen wrenches, some zipties,couple pieces of tiewire,fuses, and $20 might fit in there. what tools do you carry on you bike? ,Ed

Here is what i carry, other bits i will take in my pack. The spanners are 8mm-10mm, 10mm-12mm, 14mm-17mm, the ring spanners fit the axle and swing arm nuts. not much can't be done without using this kit.

Attachments

• P1110335.JPG
    P1110335.JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 81
  • P1110337.JPG
    P1110337.JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 71
  • P1110340.JPG
    P1110340.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 72
  • P1110341.JPG
    P1110341.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 77
A cell, of course, but I also carry a CruzTools kit in a tool roll attached to my saddle, as well as some spare plugs and some 20 amp fuses.

TC

I carry no tools. If I did need a tool anyways, it would be the one that I didn't carry.

Small LED flashlight, electrical tape, fuses, leatherman multi tool, small crescent wrench, some 12g wire, screwdrivers, alllen keys...

Of course Cell phone, and a few other things.

Last time I broke down I called the GF and told her to bring me a spare battery from the garage (12v 7ah). Elec tape and wrenches are no good when you've been running off battery because the reg/rec quit. 20 min wait and I was riding home on battery again.
Cellphone FTW.

Small LED flashlight, electrical tape, fuses, leatherman multi tool, small crescent wrench, some 12g wire, screwdrivers, alllen keys...

Of course Cell phone, and a few other things.

Last time I broke down I called the GF and told her to bring me a spare battery from the garage (12v 7ah). Elec tape and wrenches are no good when you've been running off battery because the reg/rec quit. 20 min wait and I was riding home on battery again.
Cellphone FTW.

Install a voltmeter on your bike, and it will warn you when the charging system is failing.

There is not much room the the tool holder. And I have to admit I carry no tools. So I think maybe I should.. I think 10mm open/box end wrench, 12mm open/box end wrench, screw driver/multibits, pliers, metric allen wrenches, some zipties,couple pieces of tiewire,fuses, and $20 might fit in there. what tools do you carry on you bike? ,Ed

Model 19 S&W.

-=PO

The things that I have had break could not be repaired with tools anyway, so I don't carry any. Like, clutch cable, flat tire, advance mechanism etc. I do carry fuses and some tie wraps and they have helped me get home, including when my battery cable broke off the battery terminal. I was able to tie wrap it on. I had the side stand spring break as well...tie wrapped it up so it wouldn't drag. I did carry a 14 mm wrench and still do because you need that to adjust the mirrors when the nut comes loose and the mirror just drops down so you can't use it, so, yes, carry a 14 mm wrench, some tie wraps and fuses and I agree with the idea of carrying a cell phone, but just as important, check out your local towing companies to see which one is equipped to tow a motorcycle and at what cost over what distance. You can do some serious damage to a motorcycle if it is not towed properly.

If you have an alternator failure, then unplug the regulator because you don't need it any more and it draws a few amps to power the rotor. It will draw even more amps if the rotor has shorted, which is very common.

I do have a little mod that uses the headlight failure indicator to alert me if the alternator fails. An alternator failure is very insidious because the bike keeps running until you are 100 miles from home and it's getting dark and your cell phone battery is low, so you need to know as soon as the alternator quits so you can turn around or check into a comfy motel with a bar. Here is that circuit:

whitelight.jpg

whitelight2.jpg

The headlight fail light will come on when:

1. The engine is not running.
2. The regulator fails.
3. The rotor fails.
4. The brushes fail.

It will not come on when the rectifier fails if only one diode is shorted, but you have 12 volts in that case to get back home. This arrangement also provides a bulb test function because the light comes on when I turn the key and kill switch on before starting.

In addition to the alternator fail light, I also have a digital voltmeter.

cockpit4.jpg

Last edited:
Since the original tool kit hit the pavement and disappeared somewhere along the way, I carry a couple of lengths of wire, a small roll of electrical tape, spare fuses, spark plugs/ wrench, a small crescent wrench, small vice grips multi-tip screwdriver and a multi-tool...even keep a spare float taped to the rear frame rail. Grouchy old dinosaurs like me don't believe in cell phones and I have never needed one.

always pays 2 make sure that your tools are up 2 the job. no good going 2 pull a plug, and the crap tube spanner doesn't cut it. a mate of mie is a top enduro rider, he uses his tool kit at home as well, no good doing up your rear axle with a 3 foot breaker bar, then having to remove it on the side of the road with a 8 inch spanner! cheers

Back