what type of metal for frame/bars

mpiersd

Thread Killer
Reaction score
looking at maybe doing my own welding on my bike when I get it and was wondering if anyone knows what grade steel is used for the frame.
Figured I could get some as scrap to practice my welding skills before I go at the bike.
Figured I might as well bend up some bars while I'm at it too.

do you know what grade?
4130, 4140, A513?
oh, and i don't mess with hot rolled. Bad experience with a roll cage many years ago that was made from hot rolled, mild steel.

Framework should have at the minimum ERW steel TUBING (not pipe, yes there is a difference) or DOM depending on your budget. You really should not be using Chromoly unless you know how to properly weld and treat it after welding.

For bars, nothing less than DOM. Again, Chromoly (4130) would be nice to use, but if you aren't familiar with welding it, then stick with DOM.

I've built more race car chassis and rockcrawler cages/race cages with ERW (or HREW depending on your sales guy) than I can count, and you'll find that most stock tubing is ERW on these bikes. I've used a TON of DOM as well, but for the cost differences vs. strength gain, you can just slightly overbuild using the ERW and be tons of cash ahead of the game.

Back