What would you pay

cra-z1

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
What would you guys be willing to pay for a nearly complete bike but it is totally disassembled. Bike in question is 1974 TX650. Engine is together minis the head cover.. He wants 900 for it, Im thinking 600-650

Last edited:
I know prices are going up on these but to me, that's a real project with no way to judge it's running condition. I wouldn't want to give more than a few hundred for it, and I wouldn't even like doing that, lol.

He does have new Michelins mounted and he has new rings/cam chain installed. Claims the bores measured ok. I would tear it down anyway to recheck but that just me. No side covers or air boxes. He was thinking $700. May go look and see. If it looks like it could go together easy might be worht it. The problem I have is trying to restrain myself replacing marginal parts.

Do the 75 side covers fit the 74

Yes, I'm pretty sure the Standard side covers were all the same from '74 through '79 except for the paint color and graphics. Finding nice ones can be difficult, and finding the knobs very difficult. N.O.S. knobs occasionally pop up on eBay but the sellers usually know how rare they are and want an arm and a leg for them. Find one for less than $20 and you're doing good. The other related parts (spring, special washer, roll pin) are still pretty reasonable and available. Sometimes it's easier (and cheaper) to buy a trashed cover if the knob is still there just to get those parts.

If the rocker cover is missing then you are looking at finding a new head and cover as a pair........Rocker covers and head are line bored and have matching no's stamped on them. The chances of finding a single rocker cover that fits without the cam seals leaking is pretty rare.
mismatched_head_1.jpg mismatched_head_2.jpg mismatched_head_3.jpg

Just adding up needed items. I have restored bikes in worse condition. But it gets spendy to do it right.
Anyone ever modified the frame on the later bikes to except the XS1, XS2 muffles from Mikes. I think the ones on this bike are dented.

Keep in mind that the correct airboxes you'd need wouldn't have the breather hose nipples on them. But, that doesn't mean you couldn't install ones that did. It is a better solution for what to do with the hoses than just running them down behind the motor or into the left side cover. Speaking of which, that may be one of those models with the hole for the hose in the cover. Yamaha didn't do it for long, and it's rather difficult to pin down exactly from when to when they did do it.

$500 tops....yes, he might have this and that.. blah blah blah.... boo hoo.... he's bail'n for a reason. you're not there to toss him a life ring. Basket cases are notorious for missing bits.
Sounds like a start for a project... either the current bobber or cafe' craze …. ck with Mike's XS..think they offer a mount'n bracket for Xs1 muffs to later units. The 27 inch Emco mufflers look good..and cheaper... toss the stupid chromeXs P template.jpg strap that comes with it.. fab a three hole support plate... from pass foot peg to muffler.. sometimes requires a slight " Z " bend.

Keep in mind that the correct airboxes you'd need wouldn't have the breather hose nipples on them. But, that doesn't mean you couldn't install ones that did. It is a better solution for what to do with the hoses than just running them down behind the motor or into the left side cover. Speaking of which, that may be one of those models with the hole for the hose in the cover. Yamaha didn't do it for long, and it's rather difficult to pin down exactly from when to when they did do it.
I would probably run the breather hoses to the one way valve that Mikes has to offer like I did on my 72. It has worked great for me.

I've been dealing with guys like this with cars and bikes for years. It's always the same story, seller thinks it's worth as much as the same bike assembled and running. It's not unless:
-Your hours (more like days) building it are worth nothing.
-All the parts are there (they never are, and the ones that are need to be replaced, including seals, bolts, the stuff you don't think of)
-What is assembled is in perfect working order (somebody took it apart for a reason)

Then the seller will tell you it's worth that much in parts. It's not because:
-Why isn't he parting it out? (it's because that too takes up a ton of your time. And "I don't want to break up a good bike" is a bunch of garbage because as soon as cash crosses his palm he doesn't care if you grind it up into paper clips.)
-Any way you look at it, the parts are used and worth at most half of what you would buy them for new.

Around me, fair deals last less than 2 weeks. If they've been around longer than that it's because everyone else has passed on it.
$500 if you're feeling generous, and trust me you're doing him a favor.

What's the difference with a TX and XS? If it's the same then it's a good deal. A lot of it depends on the boxes of parts and if there is extras and or if everything is there like it's supposed to be.

I would rather have a complete bike project though. You will have a big headache ordering tons of little washers, bushings, spacers, clips off ebay if they are missing from the boxes.

That's a lot if you aren't jones'n for a big project. Course I'm notoriously cheap.
Well I decided that Im going to let this one sit. I was able to get him to send more pictures. Most of the parts are in very bad condition. The vin tag is totally unreadable (which makes me think it sat outside for a very long time),the seat is toast, tank is pretty rusty on and on. I had to ask myself do I really want to start somting in that poor of condition and the answer was a resounding No.

Back