Whats rotors work?

Gcraay

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
This may seem ridiculous, but I can't seem to find a straight answer. I want to use stock calipers front and back. Single front. All I want is a straight answer on what rotors and pads i can use that would be considered an upgrade from stock. Even EBC themselves can't seem to find what I need. They need the specs on the rotors. Figure they would have a cross reference sheet, but nooooo!

So, what did you use with the stock calipers to upgrade your stuff? Please be as specific as possible. The Pandemonium upgrade sounds good, but the cash is a bit much. So for now I'm going stock, or...stock-plus, if you will.

I need front and rear rotors. Even Mikes doesn't seem to reference rear. ??

This may seem ridiculous, but I can't seem to find a straight answer. I want to use stock calipers front and back. Single front. All I want is a straight answer on what rotors and pads i can use that would be considered an upgrade from stock. Even EBC themselves can't seem to find what I need. They need the specs on the rotors. Figure they would have a cross reference sheet, but nooooo!

So, what did you use with the stock calipers to upgrade your stuff? Please be as specific as possible. The Pandemonium upgrade sounds good, but the cash is a bit much. So for now I'm going stock, or...stock-plus, if you will.

I need front and rear rotors. Even Mikes doesn't seem to reference rear. ??

To achieve better braking on these bikes, its not the rotors that need upgrading. The stock rotors work fine. I use the stock rotors with Brembo calipers, and this gives excellent, powerful braking. Lots of guys do buy new rotors, because they want rotors that are thinner/weigh less and perhaps because new ones look pretty.:)

Better braking will happen by upgrading calipers and pads (matching the correct size master cylinder is also important, to get the correct operation). Be sure to replace those old stock rubber brake lines, with braided steel lines. If you want to spend money on new rotors, go ahead, but realize that you're getting a pretty rotor and one that likely weighs slightly less, but does not improve braking.

Asking guys what are the best pads, is just like asking what is the best oil, or the best tires. 10 guys will give you 10 different answers.

There's a guy called Michael Morse, that runs www.650central.com. in California. He's a expert on these bikes in general, and is very knowledgeable on brakes for these bikes. He also has another website, called www.vintagebrakes.com. Have a read of those sites and then you may want to call him on the phone. Of course not surprising, he will likely advise you to buy his products. However, he will give you the straight goods, which I think is better than 10 different opinions from guys that are not experts.

Many (including me) have used these.

High Performance Disc Brake Rotors
High Performance Disc Brake Rotors Photo
XS Performance
High Performance Disc Brake Rotors for 77-84 XS650's
Stainless Steel Disc - Drilled

Fits: Front Right or Left - Less unsprung weight -
Approx 3.6Lbs. verses stock discs at approx 6.2 Lbs. - 298mm.Dia.

Japanese Made Superior Quality Performance Disc Brake Rotors.
Includes two spacers.
Part #30-3065 $152.50 USD Ea.

In Combo with 650 Central's Vesrah pads (not all vesrah pads are the same compound) a stainless steel line, and a 10mm master cylinder, it's a noticeable improvement from stock. Like RG sez the pads improve the performance, the line and mc improve control and feedback. The lighter rotor reduces unstrung weight, always a good thing.

I bought FZR1000 rotors off of ebay only to find a nice stock XS650 rotor for sale locally a few days later. I had th FZR rotors on with spacers I made, but I lost access to the machine shop I was using halfway through the job, so my fabrication started to get a lot more "freehand" and was starting to look rather industrial, so I went with the stock XS rotor, the left caliper from Mike's, the 16mm master from Mike's and the braided brake lines from Mike's (well XS650Direct here in Canada). Braking is superb, but the lines suck. The ends aren't swivel, so wherever they go tight is where they will sit. Looks like shite, and the MC line for the low bars is still way to long, so there is work yet to do.

I can't see how I could improve performance or feel though. It's like night and day compared to the death grip brakes the bike came with.

You might try replacing the stock 14 mm master cylinder with a 10 or 11 mm M/C. This gives a much better brake.
A 16 mm M/C will work ok with a dual disc set up but the stock 14 mm would be better.
Going with too large M/C will make the brakes too wooden as they say. You have to pull pretty hard on the lever to get much braking action. Then they can lock up before you realize they are close. The smaller gives more line pressure so you need less pull on the lever. This gives better feel and stronger brakes.
I wrote a thread explaining this. It's on here somewhere. If I knew how to link to it I would.
I did a lot of experimenting on brakes using all stock parts. I learned a lot from Michael Morse, he runs Vintage Brake. A site just for brakes.
Leo
The Lines I got from Mike's do swivel on the ends. The end of the lines are AN-3 fittings that the banjo fitting thread into. You loosen the AN-3 fitting and the banjo fitting can swivel.

Thanks.
I wrote this so people could better understand how hydraulic brakes work and how changes can affect them.
Leo

Perhaps I was unclear. I used the stock MC with the dual disc setup and 2nd gen SV650 calipers. The lever came back to the bar, as it was undersized for 2, 4 piston calipers. I went to the 16mm MC and stock discs and calipers and it solved this issue. It is so good now, that I cannot see how I could possibly improve it in any way, it works so well. I will purchase some aftermarket AN3 swivel ends and trim the lines to lie like they should, but it's all cosmetic stuff now. They are as good as the six pots on my Bandit for the size and weight of the XS.

I bought FZR1000 rotors off of ebay only to find a nice stock XS650 rotor for sale locally a few days later. I had th FZR rotors on with spacers I made...

Did the FZR1000 rotors have the same bolt pattern? I see you mentioned a spacer. So did they sit closer to the hub/further from the fork lower?

If so that might be exactly what I need. I'm putting a prototype girder on my next build, but the legs are too close together for the stock rotors. I want to keep my xs front wheel because I already have it, and I want a disk up front, but I need something with a little less offset.

One thing I see no one mentioned is that the front brake rotor weighs about 7 lbs! That's a lot of unsprung weight. A new rotor from Michael Morse at 650 Central (or wherever you choose to get it) may improve handling dramatically, depending upon what you put on there. The stock caliper has friction options and works fine.

MacMcMacmac, yes you were unclear, you only talked about rotor changes, you never mentioned caliper changes.
Leo

th_bean1.gif

Gcraay you still here?

jet marty my post on the mikes rotors covers the rotor weight difference.
After a complete caliper overhaul;
The two best upgrades on a fairly stock bike; the lighter rotor, SS line and a 10 or 11mm MC (OK that's three) And good pads, not old soaked in fork oil crappers.

Back