1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

What's the best oil for my motorcycle

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by DaveO, Aug 11, 2019.

1. DaveO

DaveO XS650 Addict

Whats the best oil.jpg
    Saw this and thought of you lot.

Dave

chugg, peanut, Paul Sutton and 16 others like this.
  2. MaxPete

MaxPete Life with Lucille...I suggest, she decides. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

You got me - when I saw the thread title all I could think was “oh gawd Dave - don’t go down this rabbit hole!”

peanut, nj1639, Marlin72xs and 5 others like this.
  3. wildav

wildav XS650 Enthusiast

The most answered and unanswered question on every mc and automotive forum I have visited___ ever .

4. DaveO

DaveO XS650 Addict

Sorry lads. I found another.,,

223CD0E8-80AE-4561-AC9E-4C4F1DC00C1D.jpeg

5. geedubya

geedubya geedubya XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Me,
    Only after a total engine rebuild I use diesel oil, it has a lot of detergent (so I am told) and will keep your engine clean as well lubricated.

So far on my '76C rebuild going strong.

All the best,

GeeDub

6. kshansen

kshansen XS650 Junkie Top Contributor

My first thought when I saw the title of the thread was:

CLEAN OIL!

Find it to be much better than dirty oil for most engines! .......Well except Yugos, puts them out of their misery faster!

7. solo2racr

solo2racr Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow

CBD Oil!!!!!!!!!! DUH!!!!!!!!! :rock:

8. Downeaster

Downeaster Everything in XS Top Contributor

Well, I can see CB oil for Hondas...

Mailman, peanut, Paul Sutton and 2 others like this.
  9. MaxPete

MaxPete Life with Lucille...I suggest, she decides. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

10. The question almost falls into the socio-religious political realm of banned discussion, or should be.....lol

11. Well, I'm still experimenting. In the 70's and 80's, I used Castrol 20w-50. Back on the road in 2013, I used Castrol 20w-50 High Mileage because it was a part synthetic. Since my total rebuild and 750 kit, I ran Castrol 20w-50, mineral for a 400 mile break-in and same again for a 600 mile break-in.
    I then put in "Castrol Edge Supercar 10w-60 Advanced Full Synthetic", and after ~2200 miles, it wasn't black with silver swirls. It was actually kinda reddish with only faint silver swirls. But at $14 a liter, that's a little too much.
    Next I tried Mobil 1, 20w-50 for V-twins. Also fairly clean at ~2300 miles. Used the Mobil 1 again and still fairly clean. It's almost $10/qt now.
    Presently, I'm using Liquimoly 10w-60. I'm about to change it for the rally. I found it for $43 for 5 liters on Amazon. About $8.50/liter. I can handle that. I get 2 oil changes and a little extra. I'll see how clean it is in a couple of days.
    By the way, I also add a 1/3 of a bottle of Rislo Zddp at each change. Always add zinc!
    Next, I will try the Mobil 1, 15w-50. It already has zinc in it. It's about $24 for 5 quarts. The best deal , so far, for full synthetic.

What's the best oil? I dunno!

Attached Files:

MaxPete and Paul Sutton like this.
  12. MaxPete

I like peanut butter sandwiches.

TwoManyXS1Bs, nj1639, peanut and 2 others like this.
  13. MaxPete

14. kshansen

kshansen XS650 Junkie Top Contributor

So is that one vote for peanut oil?

Also the image in last post didn't come through on my end MaxPete.:umm:

Jim and MaxPete like this.
  15. Machine

Machine Race the wind Top Contributor

2C0E15ED-8447-4CD7-B9DD-FDB3E2B9AA69.jpeg Leave Peanut oil out of this !

peanut, Mailman, gggGary and 3 others like this.
  16. Downeaster

Howzabout Olive Oyl?

peanut, Mailman, Jim and 1 other person like this.
  17. MaxPete

18. Machine

Machine Race the wind Top Contributor

What did PopEye do when he burned his finger :umm:

nj1639 likes this.
  19. Downeaster