Whats the lowest profile skinniest helmet out there ?

peanut

XS650 enthusiast & inveterate tinkerer
Top Contributor
Reaction score
have searched for ages for a genuine low profile ,skinny, open face, lightweight , bobber style helmet and can't seem to find one .
Nearest I have found so far is the LS2 OF583 and the MT Le Mans.

Whats everyones favourite open face helmet ?

Hey, peanut! Interesting that you mention that. My old Bell helmets were thinner/lighter. Then, shopping for modern helmets, found thicker padding, and fatter helmets. I wonder if new rules/regs outlaw the older designs?

I still remember the guys that wore WW2-era leather aviator's helmets.
Can't get any thinner than that.

Except for bathing caps...

funny you should say that .
I recently saw a HD rider go through our village wearing a leather skullcap and goggles . i thought at the time how could that be legal .

i think you're right about current safety legislation dictating the style and size of helmets today. Itmust be expensive for manufacturers to meet the standards for cetification.

I hate these huge spaceman helmets they look utterly stupid .
I currently use a LS2 helmet which is super light at 750gms but is as round as a golf ball .:doh:
I see all these rides on youtube with really cool looking helmets and I'm damned if I can find one. I reckon most of them must be old vintage helmets that probably don't meet current safety standards. i'll have to look out for an old used helmet I guess

Attachments

• ls2.jpg
    ls2.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 365
I used to know a guy that worked at a mc shop that sold low quality, cheap knock-offs.....that were NOT DOT or Snell approved. He also had a box full of DOT stickers he'd make you a deal on one to fool the fuzz. But hey, it's YOUR HEAD!

In OR, era correct gear is legal. I've ridden Indians with a skull cap & goggles. All the LEO's that have stopped me talk 'bout the bike, not the bucket. Some of them do preach safety tho, and FWIW I wear a full facer on the Ninja, and have a color-matched half helmet for the XS, and a shelf of older lids.......

"I'm surrounded by as*holes!" -DH :laughing: Classic.

Good one 2M!

- - - I hate these huge spaceman helmets they look utterly stupid .- - -

Hi peanut,
back when I was a teenager my dad brought home a copy of "The Motorcyclist" from 1907.
I was allowed to carefully look at it before it went back into it's protective wrapping.
Allowing for the primitive tech of those bikes, it was the same magazine you'd see today.
"Will my 3hp Motosachosse go faster if I change the drive pulley ratios?"
"Perhaps, but you'll have to pedal it faster before you tighten the drive belt."
Or the "What to wear" section.
"One should wear a properly fitted cloth cap with the peak facing forwards, those who ride with their caps back to front either have a cap that's too big or wish to be mistaken for a racing motorcyclist."
And looking utterly stupid riding an XS650 in a fullface is better than being a paraplegic driving an electric wheelchair that's got a "repeal the helmet law" sticker on it.

I'll just leave this here...

042914middle.jpg

know what looks WAY cooler than an open face helmet? not having a lower jaw!

EDIT: I know how polarizing this topic is - this is strictly my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt.

Hi Buzz,
Nah, modern surgery can replace a lower jaw with a plastic one these days, it's reconnecting a severed spinal cord that's still beyond them.
That's why some prefer a 3/4 helmet's lighter weight to the heavier fullface's greater chance of breaking your neck.
BTW the different %ages on the two sides of your helmet drawing would need to be reversed for peanut, who rides on the left.

Man Fred, now you got me looking into elective surgery to have my lower jaw replaced with a plastic one.

Hi Buzz,
best you wait until after your natural lower jaw has yielded up it's existence to save your neck from being broken.
Most likely the procedure will be costly, painful, take a long time to heal and I doubt you'll be better looking afterwards.
Not a thing you'd want to do twice.

here we go ............:doh:

Not a single on-topic answer that addresses the question !:D

:popcorn:

yeah thats a nice looking helmet . i'm pretty sure I've seen them for sale over here I'll do a search thanks.
What I'm looking for I suppose is an old 60's style cafe racer jobbie :D

yeah thats a nice looking helmet . i'm pretty sure I've seen them for sale over here I'll do a search thanks.
What I'm looking for I suppose is an old 60's style cafe racer jobbie :D

I don't read you as saying you're gonna get an actual helmet from the 60s, but if that's the case, you may as well not wear a helmet at all since whatever foam is in there will likely be broken down and useless, not to mention uncomfortable.

You could re-line with new foam and so forth, but your mileage may vary.

Hi Buzz,
most likely peanut is looking for new helmet that looks like a 1960s Davida.
Betcha he don't want a modern replica of the Corker helmet I used to wear back then.

Hi Buzz,
most likely peanut is looking for new helmet that looks like a 1960s Davida.

:thumbsup: thats about it .
For the amount of riding I'm likely to do a year I might consider taking a chance on wearing a non certified helmet .

i know everyone bangs on about how important it is to wear a good helmet blah blah but to be brutally honest a helmet would only save your head if you fell off your bike when it was on the stand.:wink2: Lets face it if you were to hit the side of a car at 50mph and all you were relying on to protect yourself from serious injury was a bit of polystyrene on your head .......:shrug:

Peanut
I sell helmets here in the us and have been selling them for over 40 yrs and the big seller at shows is the NON-DOT helmet because they are cheap and very light weight. You can get off your bike and strap the helmet to your side and walk around like you have a big phone attached to your hip LOL. But of course they are not going to do anything in a accident. I use a light weight just to tool around town but if I do get on a highway I use a 3/4 open face because sometimes those rocks coming at you at 50 mph hurt or the big bugs. Here are just some different styles

Attachments

• 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 385
  • 222.jpg
    222.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 349
  • 44444.jpg
    44444.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 356
  • hel.jpg
    hel.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 330
thats a very good point Daddy G some of the things that fall off the back of trucks or get thrown up from tyres would sure make a mess of your face. :yikes:

This helmet is just for occasional sunny day pottering around our country lanes at sub 40mph speeds so hopefully I'll get away with a open face.:thumbsup:

well, daddy, Ive got 3 out of the 4 you show. But Ide be damned to wear that starblazers lookin one .I have a 80's something bell, in original box, but the foam inside is rotted, and I kinda put some foam in it. Felt very clunky. My new icon alliance is my regular. If Im just running around the block to run some gas through, Then I wear the jockey style. But I cant stand getting hit in the face.
Unfortunately, I have a xl head, wich means any color other than black makes me look like ralph on a motorcycle. Thanks dad! He has a white old 3/4 bell from the 70's, he wears it when he's on my 71. Looks period. But man that guy's got a huge head!

Back