Whats your thoughts on the Original Headlight with sealed beam?

XS650D

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Background: When I purchased my bike 6 years ago the previous owner had installed an after market
head light similar to a triumph .Which takes a H-4 BULB. The assembly never really fit right as there is no welded on
bracket on the bottom to attach to the (missing on my bike) bracket under light that mounts into the frame which is how u adjust the light up and or down . I recently got a bunch of used parts for free from a friend
that was building a bobber and he gave me all the original parts including the original headlight ( with original sealed beam) plus the proper bracket that attaches the light to the frame under neath. Unfortunately the light is missing one of the white plastic ears with the grommet if anyone has an extra!!)
I am thinking of installing this original unit in place of what I have for that original look that I I likes much. Couple questions, will the updated female prong on my bike now plug into the older lamp.Do these original lamps last along time.I dont want to install it and find I need to get a new sealed beam from Mikes for $60. I dont drive much at night so the amount of light is not critical. Some guidance would be great before diving into this project. Thx

Personally, I swap 7" H-4 lights into the stock bucket. I just did one on my '83 today as a matter of fact. I used a Yamaha unit from a 1980 XS850. I scored the complete 1980 850 bucket and light off eBay for about $25. Just an aftermarket 7" H-4 light alone would run you around $25. I'd rather have original Yamaha stuff if possible (and not too expensive). If you want to know what other Yamahas to search a headlight from, look up the 650 chrome ring and see what others it came on. That's how I concluded this 850 light would swap, same chrome ring.

I am thinking of installing this original unit in place of what I have for that original look that I I likes much.
I must admit that I am not much of a distance rider any longer and have no need to ride at night. So like you I really like the original shaped headlight. They seem to never burn out even. I have a spare white plastic and grommet but shipping to Canada is quite crazy for that item. You can find it locally I'll bet .
-R

Not sure im understanding what u did. This entire Light assembly came complete with back bucket and all parts ,rings ect of a 1983 Heritage special.
Are u saying that I can purchase a lamp for it that already has the H4 style bulb.Basically what Mikes xs sells so u can update
the older unit and keep the stock look.

Hey Machine,would u be interested in mailing it in a small envelope.I could compensate u for the item mail.
Dont need it couriered.Theres no metal so mail would work .If interested PM me. Thx

Just looked on xs650 Direct here in Ontario,Canada and the sealed beam replacement with an H4 Bulb
set up is $50 plus shipping and taxes so close to $100 out the door, wow! Maybe I can find a used one!

Yes, I just swapped the lens (different pattern) and H-4 bulb from the 850 headlight into the 650 headlight. I had to remove the glass lens and install it in all the 650 rings.

20190422_174321.jpg
that piece & grommett ?
PM if so ..

... Unfortunately the light is missing one of the white plastic ears with the grommet if anyone has an extra!!)
...Do these original lamps last along time.I dont want to install it and find I need to get a new sealed beam from Mikes for $60. I dont drive much at night so the amount of light is not critical.

The white plastic piece is available from some Yama dealers, I think. I know it was three or four years ago when I ordered a pair online.
The old sealed beam, you can replace it with a Sylvania halogen sealed beam from Walmart that's about $12; same size, designation, etc. as the original sealed beam, just drop 'er in. It isn't quite as bright as an H4 halogen and a Bosch shell I had for awhile, but that got frosted inside.

Actually looks like there are several now. I got the Sylvania H6024, that I see is only $8 now. Anything called an H6024 should fit the stock ring.
https://www.walmart.com/search/?cat_id=0&query=h6024

Last edited:
The white plastic piece is available from some Yama dealers, I think. I know it was three or four years ago when I ordered a pair online.

Anyone into 3-D printing? seems like that white plastic part would be a simple part to make that way!

Another idea would be to get a piece of Nylon bar stock and machine one out of solid material, I know there are guys here who could do that!

Personally, I swap 7" H-4 lights into the stock bucket. I just did one on my '83 today as a matter of fact. I used a Yamaha unit from a 1980 XS850. I scored the complete 1980 850 bucket and light off eBay for about $25. Just an aftermarket 7" H-4 light alone would run you around $25. I'd rather have original Yamaha stuff if possible (and not too expensive). If you want to know what other Yamahas to search a headlight from, look up the 650 chrome ring and see what others it came on. That's how I concluded this 850 light would swap, same chrome ring.
For those who like a stock look and use H4 bulbs, the 2F3 headlight as'sy referenced above by 5twins was used on early '80s XS850 and 1100, XJ750 and 1100 Maxims, 1986 SRX600 and as recently as 2015-2017 SRX400 models, so shouldn't be a particularly rare item to find.

Attachments

• 2F3 Yamaha headlight.jpg
    2F3 Yamaha headlight.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 84
Yes, if you're searching one out, try to find one that includes that rubber boot or cover for the back of the bulb. That puppy alone costs $21 and change, lol.

Thx for info, not sure what I like more, the bike or the people on this forum!!
Weathers starting to turn around up here in the North and parts are becoming available .
Im going to try and track a Headlight with the conversion H4 setup.I already have the bulb and correct plug
from my previous unit (after market) and will have the additional parts to make the unit off the 1983 Heritage special
I just inherited work. The units mint, chrome like new!!

Sure change it out but the sealed beams are just fine, seem to last forever. I change out to run an LED. Cheapo bulb only LEDs are fine for daylight, city night riding.with a much lower amp draw. The serious dark destroyer; Broview S5 H4 LED is back on can't find any, anywhere status. :mad:

GGGARY , you've convinced me to give the original unit and sealed beam a try (I dont ride at night) I have the plug already set up for an H4 (what I have now came with bike after market light housing)
If I decide to use the stock sealed beam/ light assembly do I need to change the wire connector (from my wire harness)
if so does it wire up different.I think the original sealed beam is a 3 prong and the H4 style is a 4 prong.Need to check .
This may be a simple change that I need to make, please advise Thx

The stock sealed beam and an H4 don't need any wiring change and are both 3 prong.

Back