Whats your weather right now?

No, 2M, not "ho-hum" at all. Ice is the worst. Heavy snow at unexpected times would come in second. The city of Buffalo, NY (and surrounding area) got an unexpected snow storm before Halloween, one year. Almost every tree, still full of leaves, suffered some damage, tearing down power, CATV, and phone lines. Fortunately, it was a one-shot deal. They started with over 40,000 phone troubles. With our help (a crew from Syracuse), they were back to normal in 10 days. You just do what you can do, with what you've got, when you can, and hang in there 'til you're done. The end of the "Ice Age" is coming!

At least the stuff we got this morning and is still coming down seems to be the nice fluffy stuff. Might go out and play with one of the snow blowers in a bit.

Seems I might remember that Halloween storm or another one as I had to drive up to LeRoy NY to work on some machine in about six inches of snow. Like I often say the road conditions don't really bother me it's the jerks who don't know how to drive in the conditions that scare me!

All this may seem ho-hum to our northern members, but is terribly unusual for down here. Many records were broken. Many folks are calling this "historic".

Steve, those photos really tell a story, I can’t believe how much damage your property sustained. So will you be shopping for a generator now, or do you already have one?

An inch of ice will be catastrophic just about any where. The cold and snow are generally prepared for where they are common place but the same mechanism that makes them common means they aren't as exposed to the thick layers of freezing rain. It's cliche, but I haven't seen it said recently.

An inch of ice will be catastrophic just about any where. The cold and snow are generally prepared for where they are common place but the same mechanism that makes them common means they aren't as exposed to the thick layers of freezing rain. It's cliche, but I haven't seen it said recently.
:agree:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey was that arrow head just laying there like that when you found it?
Yes, "just like that". To walk upon a genuine Native made and Shot!, arrowhead is just a "bonus" as exploring remote, untrodden areas gives many many visual treasures. I consider it vitally important to escape in such a way. Go free your mind and physically move among the wild. Those pics are exactly where that arrowhead was laying in the sun. Clean side up ;) I was following recent mule deer track. Also Coyote. There is still much life in the seemingly baren scruffy landscape to witness and think about.
Now Arizona? Well, I too have attempted to hike in Arizona desert in this way and found that landscape to be much "less user friendly" but very beautiful, like Ouch! Thorns.. Put your tall boots on for that Mailman, but do it-
20181122_154527_IMG_0279.JPG

(Arizona a couple years ago) :)

Also in areas where heavy wet sticky snow is common to some extent it is a self controlled thing. Most of the weak and troublesome tree branches "self trim" on an ongoing process. The worst problems are like the time tebo mentioned when we get an early snow fall while leaves are still on the trees

A good thing to come of de-linking energy from the carrier is that the local utility has been making huge investments in the infrastructure, much of the network redone with all new 3 phase equipment. Mile upon mile of end user natural gas pipe installed. Asplundah has the maintenance contract, branches, trees etc are regularly cut out of the right of way. Proactive not reactive thinking. :thumbsup:

Before it fades into a dim memory I think this prolly lays at the heart of Texas' energy problems.

"There is a lot of finger pointing, depending on which way you fall politically," Gonzales argued. "At the heart of it, it's not one (type of power) generation's fault over the other."
Gonzales argued that the way Texas' primary electrical corporation, ERCOT, manages electricity in the state may have something to do with the recent outages.
"ERCOT operates as an energy-only market," she said. "Generators only get paid for the generation they are actually producing." In other regions, she said, industries operate a "capacity market," where grid managers "actually pay generators to have capacity available to meet any kind of unexpected spikes in demand."
"Reserve margins, having that cushion of extra capacity has been an issue in Texas for years," Gonzales added. "The reserve margin has been razor-thin. We just don't have a lot of spare capacity."

Kind of what I was alluding to a few posts above. The Wisconsin system is far from perfect, it "allows" utilities a return on cost plus %, so spending money gets them more "profit", not very efficient. But it does encourage improving the infrastructure.

We live in a Republic. Every State is a Laboratory as it should be...
No rain here until Friday! I am giddy as on Wednesday it will be 70*! Of course, that is when my LLC partners want to have a Zoom call when I should be relaxing at the pub after a great day of riding. Grrrrr

I know nothing about my electricity here other than it stayed on the whole time we were snowed in. It rarely burps here. I can’t say that about my 30+ years in Georgia. Memphis can’t keep the power on like that either.

Same here Marty..Our power grid infrastructure in NC sucks...Puke Energy(Duke Energy) we average 2 failures every year..35 yrs in NJ and only once was the power out during Hurricane Floyd...I was out of NJ before Sandy hit in 2012 but that was a big one...

Back