Whats your weather right now?

High '50's, gusty wind here in Columbia SC. And we are on the far south of Sandy; the eye is over New Jersey now. That will give you an idea of just how big this thing is.

You guys up there keep a sharp eye out, but also remember you are in a way lucky as in it's a big storm but not very intense. It's a Cat 1 on the Saffir-Simpson scale.

Saffir_Simpson_Hurricane_Scale_A.jpg

If this had happened a month to six weeks ago, things would be VERY different. The Atlantic has cooled off a bit which has helped keep this thing from getting really powerful. For instance, Katrina made Cat 5 at one point with 174 MPH winds, then weakened to a Cat 3 when it made landfall.

When Hugo crossed over Charleston, SC in 1989 sustained winds were ~135 MPH, or almost double what you are seeing. That made it a weak Cat 4. When it crossed Columbia max winds were still around 100 MPH, it tore things up all the way to Charlotte. In Charleston, a Cat 1 means you buy an extra case of beer and rent a couple of movies. Cat 2, people on the coast move inland ~20 miles or so but a lot of them ride it out. Cat 3 or above, everybody heads for the mountains!

Last edited:
I stashed my XS in the shed with all the other yard stuffs.

So far it really hasn't been bad but I'm not in an area where coastal flooding is an issue. Just got a lot of wind.

~ Derek

We are just starting to get news and pictures here in the UK of some of the damage in eastern states. Hope all you guys and your families are ok.

OK guys my old ass made it got alot of work to clean up and we got a direct hit here in the CAPE MAY area and poor AC got so much damage. Surfer will be here for days never seen such a nice set of waves. Good old Sandy tried to give us the one two punch but we made it with little damage and the beaches are gone and some work to clean up but no one here lost their lives. I have been in many storms but to hear that freight train noise for 6 hours straight was hairy. Had to move the cars three time and right now haven't even seen my garage yet to see what damage there. I never seen trees bend like they did and my poor dog hid most of the day. Going to get out this morning and see whats up. Delaware and South Jersey got the hit with the wind and heavy rain but as it hit land the sucker gave up a little and we only had 60 to 75 mph winds. The water surge was terrible. They told us to get out but where do you go with a storm this size . Hope everyone else around us made it with little problems. Good old mother nature told us again SHE RULES....
Be Safe

Wind, rain, flying leaves, flying garbage cans...flying everything here in N.E. Ohio. The wind kept me awake all night, but I'm far better off than most. Pity those poor people whose homes have been destroyed by wind and flood.

Last edited:
lotta rain last night, heavy wind , today so far 46 degrees, rain and wind , not much damage anywhere that i could see , but a few towns in my area with no power ! (delaware county )

Got out to check my garage and alls good but drove around a little and the water and sand killed these small shops on the islands. Cape may had 6' water on main street that goes threw and sand everywhere . Super lucky we were in the eye and didn't get the crazy high wind. Everywhere i could have run to for safety got it worst. My daughter on statenisland still has no electric and all my friends in north jersey got worst than me.It was hairy watching the trees bend but just wanted to stay put and ride it out. Feel bad for the places that are getting hammered with snow and some small towns in NY got burned down by fire. Mother Nature didn't drop in AC to gamble fair she rolled SNAKE EYES. Did you catch the picture of the baby shark swiming in front of steps to a house HOW CRAZY!!! God Bless the people who made it and RIP for those who lost there lives. Now cleanup and rebuilding begins....

God Bless the people who made it and RIP for those who lost there lives. Now cleanup and rebuilding begins....

Amen to that

Glad to hear you survived ok. can't imagine what it is like for all the folk with kids and elderly relatives who still have no water or electricity .

Over here in Uk no matter how bad things get with floods storms etc we still get the services back on in a few days .

Many here are wondering why the US government do not seem to be doing more to get the electric back on but like I said to my partner last night . Some of the effected areas are larger than the whole of England and its difficult for us Brits to get our heads round that scale :yikes:

I lived in some areas in northern Ontario where the power would get knocked out quite often . You never knew how long it would be out for , might be an hour might be a week , so we were always prepared for it . Even now that I live in "civilization " a blackout wouldn't bother me too much and my house is on high ground , I can't imagine how much rain it would take to flood my house , it would take more than we ever had around here anyway.

I really feel for the people that got hit by that storm ( or any other natural disaster ) . The government of Ontario (where I live) has sent a bunch of Hydro crews down to help .

Right now in Cape May NJ which is as far south in NJ you can go without swiming. Its cold and wind and rain NO SNOW water too warm 55 degrees and i am surrounded by water. Maybe good thing this time. North of me heading north toward NY SNOW and high water warning. HOLD ON TO YOUR ASSES MOTHER NATURE STILL MAD.

I'm right across the water from DaddyG and it is raining and snowing now. The seas look crazy! It is not nice out right now. Bone damp cold.

Back