Whats your weather right now?

Plenty of good riding weather in Wisconsin yet.
good riding weather.jpg

C

Come on down. You'd be surprised!
THE-CROSSROADS.jpg

If you want to get around by motorcycle and see significant stuff, I got you!

I'd love to Marty - really - but the danged border is still closed up tighter than a frozen turkey.

Pete

Today was another weird one. All day it has had the appearance of an overcast, cloudy day, but with an orange tint.
The whole day we’ve been laying under a blanket of smoke from California wildfires, and our air quality has been in the unhealthy range.
I live just about here.
View attachment 175130
Virus in the air and now smoke. You better go for a ride before the Locust show up.

Wonder how much CO2 that puts in the air?
I've read in the past that CO2 emissions from burning wood is identical to the natural decomposition of wood. Big difference is it's all at once instead of over dozens of years.

I've read in the past that CO2 emissions from burning wood is identical to the natural decomposition of wood. Big difference is it's all at once instead of over dozens of years.
I've read in the past that CO2 emissions from burning fossil fuels is identical to the natural decomposition of them. Big difference is it's all at once instead of over millions of years.

I've read in the past that CO2 emissions from burning fossil fuels is identical to the natural decomposition of them. Big difference is it's all at once instead of over millions of years.
I don't think that analogy holds water. That fossil fuel was (some still is) safely sequestered thousands of feet underground... giving off zero emissions.... until we humans came along and blew up the whole natural balance thing.

Today was another weird one. All day it has had the appearance of an overcast, cloudy day, but with an orange tint.
The whole day we’ve been laying under a blanket of smoke from California wildfires, and our air quality has been in the unhealthy range.
I live just about here.
View attachment 175130
Its been much the same in Tucson..I have a webcam shot of the Catalina mtns from the UofA and it is very hazy there...Living in a valley when the air doesnt move makes it rather unhealhty for many folks to be outdoors in...I complain about how much rain we get here but our air is really clean and our forests are not burning...
Edit..It is sad to see so much of the west burning..every year it gets worse...no one or place seems safe anymore...:(

Last edited:
That fossil fuel was (some still is) safely sequestered thousands of feet underground... giving off zero emissions.... until we humans came along and blew up the whole natural balance thing.

The big worry that gets mentioned is the billions of tons of methane sequestered within and under the frozen tundra. I watched a program a few years back with Miranda Krestovnikoff - great name. She was with a local researcher in northern Finland, or it might have been Russia, an area of small ponds of water. There were bubbles rising to the surface all over these ponds. He lit a spill and showed that as each bubble reached the surface, you could 'pop' it with the flame. Evidence that the permafrost is starting to melt and release all that methane. CH4 is a far more effective greenhouse gas than CO2.

The big worry that gets mentioned is the billions of tons of methane sequestered within and under the frozen tundra. I watched a program a few years back with Miranda Krestovnikoff - great name. She was with a local researcher in northern Finland, or it might have been Russia, an area of small ponds of water. There were bubbles rising to the surface all over these ponds. He lit a spill and showed that as each bubble reached the surface, you could 'pop' it with the flame. Evidence that the permafrost is starting to melt and release all that methane. CH4 is a far more effective greenhouse gas than CO2.
I saw that program. She's easy on the eyes. ;) The big fear is the trapped methane escaping becomes a runaway train. The more the permafrost melts, more methane escapes... and warm the atmosphere.... allowing more to escape...

Put me in the more worried about the NEXT ice age camp.
30 years ago scientists were warning that we had been in an unusually calm weather pattern for quite some time, ie a few centuries.

Put me in the more worried about the NEXT ice age camp.
This runaway train doesn't stop for ice ages. ;)
According to NASA... you know... the scientist's, "The warming caused by the greenhouse gas emissions from the human burning of fossil fuels is six times greater than the possible decades-long cooling from a prolonged Grand Solar Minimum."
That means that, at our current rate of warming, all an ice age would do is slow the increase... it wouldn't even be able to reverse it. But then, what does NASA know....
Caution... scientific data here.
30 years ago scientists were warning that we had been in an unusually calm weather pattern for quite some time, ie a few centuries.
One of the keys to good science is acknowledging wrong conclusions and concentrating on current data, not 30 yr old stuff. Dwelling on the past is rather unscientific. :whistle:

Last edited:
yahno Jim I'm not a weather scientist.
but I've been through a few me too parties where "everyone" is saying this is gonna happen,
cept it didn't.

Um nears I can tell those guys were right about the calm WEATHER period ending.

And if global warming forstalls an ice age, is that somehow a bad thing? 'less reducing population to less than 10% of current levels (via starvation) is the goal, then an ice age is just the ticket.

Back