whats

peanut

XS650 enthusiast & inveterate tinkerer
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Engine-wise whats are the differences , if any, between a 1979 XS650SE and a 1979 XS650F ?

I've ordered a full engine gasket set for a 79F model and I've been sent a gasket set for the following applications
79XS650 SE(1L1)
75-81 XS650B
79 XS650 (lU3)
79 XS650 SJ
79 XS650 SK

will all the gaskets fit ? or will I need to buy extra gaskets ?

They are all basically the same, the only engine with a slightly different gasket is the xs1/2 where the head gasket is slightly different

thanks jay I know the engines are all basically the same , the point is I have just shelled out $60+ on a full engine gasket rebuild set for the whole engine .(about 30+gaskets)

If there are no differences between the engines why are there so many different gasket sets around ?and why doesn't my set say it fits the XS1 and XS2 and the XS650 model A, C, D, E, G etc

The left side (alternator) cover differs slightly on the early models as well. Different dowel locations so the gasket differs. Early models also used gaskets on the valve covers. The Athena sets I've used contain both left side cover gaskets as well as valve cover gaskets, although they're not needed for most of the later models. Your set is somewhat mislabeled. The J and K models aren't '79s, they're more like '82s and '83s. An SE is the '78 Special model, not a '79. Single letter designations (C, D, E, F) up to '79 (F) are Standards. Double letter designations (SE,SF,SG, etc.) are Specials.

phew its confusing all these different model numbers.
My bike was a 79 XS650 2F US bike which was imported to the UK in 1999 this is why I am trying to make sure that I have the right gasket set before I open it.

I think I'll contact the shop tomorrow and see what they suggest. I suspect someone has picked the wrong part off the shelf to send me .
thanks for your help

you should be working off serial no's then transfer them to the prefix. 79XS II F should be a Special with alloy 19/16 spoke wheels.

Pics and serial no's will help others help you

Three guys on here said you are good. The set will work, you may need something not in the set because we don't know what set you bought. If you believe everything some vender says on eBay I have a container load of in the crate XS1's to sell. For gasket purposes all 75 up engines are the same.
I occasionally pm ebayers to let them know the part they are selling is listed wrong. Some times I get thanked and they correct the error, other venders just keep relisting parts with the same mistakes in the listing.:shrug:

Back