Wheel & Bearing Width Advice

Bodger200

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys
I have recently been working on fitting the front end from a KTM 990 Super Duke to my new project bike .
I intend on using a XS650 front wheel rather than the Super Duke wheel but using the KTM axle which is 30mm.
All has gone well so far, I have made a new stem to fit the KTM clamps to the XS frame, spacers to fit the hub and brake discs.
My first question is, the bearings from the KTM are 30x47x9 which fit the XS hub and KTM axle but are 5mm thinner than the originals XS ones. My thoughts are these will be fine as they are standard to the KTM but would apricate your thoughts.
Next question is which width rim have people used when they have fitted USD forks to their XS. Do I stay with the standard 1.85 or do I fit a 2.15 rim?
20200401_152701_resized.jpg 20200401_152624_resized.jpg 20200401_152636_resized.jpg 20200401_152717_resized.jpg
Thanks

Hopefully the bearings you have will be OK because looking at a metric bearing chart, I don't see any wider 30 x 47 bearings. The 9mm wide ones you have are the only ones listed.

Thanks for that 5twins. I did look at the charts and also visited the local bearing supplier to see what different sizes they had, I even looked at doubling the bearings each side but I didn't think they would fit. I think I just needed some reassurance before I plough on, I will stick to my original thought if they are fitted to the KTM wheel as standard then they will do the job in the XS wheel.

Only 9 mm wide?
If you have access to a SKF paper catalog, or just go to www.skf.com
Then you can compare static and dynamic load ratings for the oem XS bearing vs. that unusually narrow KTM bearing. To me, a bearing that narrow is worrying in a front wheel. Please verify it.

Thanks articxs . I visited the above as advised and looked at all the ratings. A bit above me but from what I have read the static and dynamic load ratings along with the Fatigue load limit are used to work out the life of the bearing. If this is the case it may not be, then it will just be a matter of changing the bearings more regularly. With the bike not going to be daily ride or race bike I'm still tending to think all should be ok, but I will still look at different options during the build.

Back