Wheel Compatability

Mark C

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Looking to build my tracker with mags and disks. Can anyone tell me if 77 RD400 or 77 XS500 wheels and disks will fit my 83 XS650? SR500 wheels are hard to find. Anyone know of any other options out there?

No, they won't fit without some modding. The rear axle size (diameter) is smaller and the front hub is narrower. A front mag is easy, just use a 650 Special one. There are also a few other Yamaha models you could grab one from .....

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-2H7-25168-20-00.html

The rear is the tough one. There are no 18" rear disc mags that swap right in that I know of.

Thanks, Skull...........Mark C...I still have the SR500 rear wheel as per #11 in the thread

Thanks, Skull...........Mark C...I still have the SR500 rear wheel as per #11 in the thread
Thanks Mr B. From the very little I think I know about the XS family, I'm told I can use an SR 500 wheel on my '83 swing arm if I just shim it over a little bit. I guess I'm looking for a wheel, disk, and caliper. I was hoping to keep it under $125. Hope that's not an insult! You can call my cell at 412-398-8034.

Thanks! Mark C.

Just be aware that the SR500 wheel uses a rather large (in the mid 40s) ring style sprocket. You can't fit a low 30s sprocket on there. That's probably why it doesn't get used much on a 650, unless maybe you plan on pulling stumps with it, lol.

Back