Wheel Hub Restoration

SkavenDC

Just Some Guy With a Bike
Reaction score
So. Just a quick question to those that have been there enough to know more than I do (which is just about everybody).

If one has a drum brake hub that has some rust in it, how does one go about restoring this to a usable condition? If the part is beyond restoration can they be repaired or is that just done by buying a new hub?

The hubs I have now are fine in this department, but I was looking at other examples to buy and wanted to know how to "repair" them before I acquired any. Don't want to waste any money on something that is beyond repair.

Below is a random example I found on the internet that is close to some that I have found.

Thanks in advance.

P6240223small-L_zpsacjxntbw.jpg

The one pictured is fine. The iron lining is very thin when brand new. I just use coarse sand paper and hand sand my way around the drum a time or two. You can get an idea of how worn the lining is by how high of a ridge is at the outside, the shoes don't contact the whole width so that ridge band is usually at factory thickness. I doubt you could "reline" a heavily worn/ or rusted hub. I found some racing forum threads where guys tried that stunt with front drums. Results seemed to vary from poor to disastrous with a hub or two cracking and failing in use.

You can view a few more "used" drum shots I took yesterday here:
http://www.xs650.com/forum/album.php?albumid=354

I haven't had a too rusty or worn rear hub yet. Then again I am a strong believer in using strong front brakes. I may run into a similar issue with front drums, I have several "going back into use".

You can sand or wire wheel the rust out but bead blasting is the easiest and does a really nice job .....

BeadBlastBrake2.jpg

Thanks for the information guys. Just what I was looking for. Great tip on the bead blasting 5twins. I had some other items I was going to have blasted anyway.

Then again I am a strong believer in using strong front brakes.

Gary. I too believe in the strong front brake. I won't hound those that go without, just not something I would do.

Back