Wheel lacing 101 - it LOOKS so easy

Well ..... there's no helping some people. They have no business trying stuff like this yet they do. They make a mess of the whole affair and it ends up costing them more than if they just paid someone to spoke their wheel in the first place. I'm afraid the same is true for all the other aspects of this (or any) bike - carbs, motor, suspension, etc. It's a crying shame, that's all I have to say.

Well, just so you know...if it helps at all...I'm doing my best to learn along the way. This bike is my enjoyment, but I also want to learn so that I can teach my sons how to work on things.

I can't thank the contributors of knowledge enough for the patience and willingness to help me out as I fumble through each step of this bike. The lacing could have been done on my own, but I went a little quick and jumped to asking for help.

Again, thanks for the help, I know the time it takes to mark up those pics, crop them, post them, put a solid explanation together for them....and not to mention, figuring out what things like upper and lower mean. I love this bike, this site and the members have been great. Thanks again.

Well, just so you know...if it helps at all...I'm doing my best to learn along the way. This bike is my enjoyment, but I also want to learn so that I can teach my sons how to work on things.

I can't thank the contributors of knowledge enough for the patience and willingness to help me out as I fumble through each step of this bike. The lacing could have been done on my own, but I went a little quick and jumped to asking for help.

Again, thanks for the help, I know the time it takes to mark up those pics, crop them, post them, put a solid explanation together for them....and not to mention, figuring out what things like upper and lower mean. I love this bike, this site and the members have been great. Thanks again.

+1

I ,like you, am learning at almost 60 Years Old.
When I quit learning, I'll just go ahead and take that "dirt nap"
The people who share their time and knowledge are beyond compare!!!!!!

Thank-you all.....Alan

SpokeMarks.jpg

5twins, using your pic above: Is there a actual difference in the spoke holes as far as how they drilled for the spoke head button? You could say the holes are somewhat "chamfered" when you look at the outside of the hub flange. What I'm asking I quess is as long as you follow the correct clock pattern for inner top and inner bottom spokes can you use any top hole for 6:30?

racerdave...I believe the answer is yes.

From the fong site: Keeping your hub parallel to the ground (like resting on a bearing) with the spoked side up place one of the spokeheads at the 6:30 clock position.

The 'one' word is key as it doesn't say a specific. I know that I don't have much cred, but if there was a specific hole to use, I'm sure I would have NOT picked it and therefore NOT been able to lace the wheel correctly.

Yes, as far as I know, all the holes are the same. It doesn't matter which is used for an inner or outer spoke. I'm working with used hubs so I just try to make them as they were, putting inners where inners were, outers where they originally were. I clean and polish my hubs but not to the point of totally removing those marks the old outers have left, so I want my new spokes to cover them.

Yes, as far as I know, all the holes are the same. It doesn't matter which is used for an inner or outer spoke. I'm working with used hubs so I just try to make them as they were, putting inners where inners were, outers where they originally were. I clean and polish my hubs but not to the point of totally removing those marks the old outers have left, so I want my new spokes to cover them.

OK. Thats what I wanted to clarify. Any top hole can be a 6:30 hole and clock it correctly from there. Thanks.

5twins, do suggest completely lacing the hub, inners and outers, top and bottom, then start putting them into the appropriate rim holes, or won't that work?

Since I just did mine (couldn't sleep last night). I suggest installing all spokes from the first side (inners and outers), and then doing the opposite side one at a time. This worked great for me.

Accepted practice is to install all the inners first, then the outers. If outers are put in along with the inners, eventually they will get in the way of installing some of the last inners.

A special thank you to 5Twins. This was my first time lacing a wheel. Your pictures and explanations resolved my lacing issues and kept me from throwing things. Really appreciate your in-depth photos.

IMG_3670-M.jpg

i know this is over a year old but quality information never goes bad. Thanks 5twins for the pics and info i had my front wheel royaly messed up but now got it and the rear ready for the trueing stand.

Back