Wheel lacing question

pckopp

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
When I took apart my wheels there were these little washers. I didn't get new ones so I assume I should re-use these. Correct?

They have been de-greased and soaked in the de-ruster but still look a little rough. Should I give them a ride in my tumbler to make them smooth?

BTW, the thread on Lacing 101 is excellent but it would be even better if 5Twins' photos were still there. Us newbies need all the help we can get!

Thanks!

0921160850_HDR.jpg 0921160850b_HDR.jpg

Let him know via a conversation. He hosts on an outside site and sometimes when he re-arranges his folders the links get broken.
5twins is top notch and has fixed this very same problem before, if he is made aware.

I've only found those little washers on original spokes. If I was re-using original spoke nipples, I suppose I would re-use the washers too. I've never re-used the washers with new aftermarket spokes and I've never encountered a problem.

I found and fixed the pics in that thread. Yes, I re-organize my pics sometimes, creating new folders, and that mucks things up, lol.

I've only found those little washers on original spokes. If I was re-using original spoke nipples, I suppose I would re-use the washers too. I've never re-used the washers with new aftermarket spokes and I've never encountered a problem.

Thank you, on both counts.

Beginning to look like a motorcycle wheel.

FtSpokes1.jpg

Every great journey begins with a first step.

FtSpokes2.jpg

All spokes in their place

FtSpokes3.jpg

I think it is correct. Now to the truing.

Actually, I took it apart and re-did it. Some of the spokes were odd in some way and when I got them all back out I discovered three were quite bent. I had a couple spares so I got a set of 36 of the straightest ones and laced it again. Much better. Went together more evenly and it is only off about 1/4" with the spokes just finger tight. Progress.

Thank you to all the contributors on this list. My bike wouldn't run without you!

I've taken to cleaning the insides of my rims out with one of these Scotchbrite paint stripper pads. They fit in a drill and are available at Walmart. They do a nice job of cleaning the corrosion and old rubber bits off .....

InnerRimClean.jpg

Beginning to look like a motorcycle wheel.
Every great journey begins with a first step.
All spokes in their place
View attachment 88964
I think it is correct. Now to the truing.

Hi Phil,
looks like you've learned the trick of it.
But Gawd! I recognize that rug. Does every home in North America have that same rust colored carpet?

Back